Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are the Sims so addictive?

In your opinion :lol:
I think it's the fact we can control them, and in RL we cant control much of anything!
Sims 3 just makes the addiction even worst now lol :wink:

Comments

• Options
    kduv8kduv8 Posts: 109 New Member
    edited June 2009
    hard to be addicted to such a wonderful game when you're ADHD.

kinda sucks for me =\
  • Options
    asboldasloveasboldaslove Posts: 17 New Member
    edited June 2009
    That's definitely the element that draws me to the game. It's nice to know that when you sit down to play, your in the drivers seat -so to speak- for the next couple of hours.
  • Options
    TheLighterDarkTheLighterDark Posts: 927 New Member
    edited June 2009
    They put drugs in their game! Haha.

It's just a flat out fun game, it's simple, easy, and a high target for most age groups.
  • Options
    zuly2uzuly2u Posts: 27 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Controlling lives in a way you could not control in your wildest dreams.

Ahhh so addictive! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SpunkmeijerSpunkmeijer Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2009
    kduv8 wrote:
    hard to be addicted to such a wonderful game when you're ADHD.

kinda sucks for me =\

Just play the days you go into hyper focus. :shock:

I personally love the game because they made it into a nice strategy game. I have no idea if they did this in The Sims 2, I never played that one, but I was a huge fan of the first one. But I'm really happy I purchased 3, I finally found a game that's pulled me from World of Warcraft for a while. I have a crap load of ideas and strategies I want to try in this game and I haven't even touched the creator tools yet.
  • Options
    TechGuyTechGuy Posts: 17 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I love the Sim games because I've been playing them since Sim City for SNES. Sim Farm, Tower, City 2000, Copter... They are all great, Maxis made a great start for EA.
  • Options
    katgib13katgib13 Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2009
    For me, it's a way to escape and step into a world where I can do things I would never do real life... :lol: Romance numerous sims at once, be a career criminal, starve an enemy... :mrgreen: You get the idea...I have three sons, two of which are teenagers and one is six...I NEED an escape and the Sims does it for me.
  • Options
    dylsoccer12dylsoccer12 Posts: 9,357 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Hi, I understand this is an old thread but, Im posting anyways.

The sims is an escape, You control EVERYTHING. does'nt everyone want that? Wouldnt you like to make the guy/girl of you dreams makeout with you on the couch? What about Have 5 children and live of of 20,000 Dollars? Maybe Wall in people here and there beacsue you dont like them. Anything you can or cant or wont do in real life is here, and thats why we love this game so much. It's our imaginations and fantacies. Its our Dreams.
  • Options
    Pugslover4Pugslover4 Posts: 2,849 Member
    edited May 2010
    I fell in love with the first one then keep playing each epsode like making movie, Lady and gentleman Sims 1 then next sims2 and not final Sim 3 and still hoping to keep going on and on and on like Stars Wars! Lol! Once I start and can't quit. I think they need a anymous class for Sims additive! LOl! :D
    9cac0e69-be99-4238-b1c8-e9ef2f5d7718_zps38d42068.jpg
    I owned the store! Yahoo!
  • Options
    LisaBooThaWeirdoLisaBooThaWeirdo Posts: 3,827 New Member
    edited May 2010
    yeah i ts3 to escape from the crazy reality, and turn it into the life i wanna have.
  • Options
    peaceluverrpeaceluverr Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited May 2010
    I like the fact that you can be crazy with them. I also love to mess around with genetics.
  • Options
    LadyDarkSorrowLadyDarkSorrow Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited May 2010
    it's my own little world....
  • Options
    simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited May 2010
    zuly2u wrote:
    Controlling lives in a way you could not control in your wildest dreams.

Ahhh so addictive! :mrgreen:

I bed to differ :? (don't ask, dreamer be talkin).

I think part of it is that it's just so open ended...most games you get tired of more easily because you're trying to do the same EXACT thing- in sims, you have your variations, you can play it however you want, and you get to see the generations go down- the game never ends. No other game really is compareable to sims...and I love it!
  • Options
    laurenruth915laurenruth915 Posts: 4,102 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Hmm. Maybe we are so addicted to it because we have yet to find out why we are addicted to it. My friends and I have asked each other that question for a while now, never knowing the answer. Yet I keep playing. :?

Maybe I don't want to know why.
  • Options
    suelorchasuelorcha Posts: 318 New Member
    edited May 2010
    The sims appeal to me on so many levels.
    When I was young I had a love of paper dolls and doll houses which I guess I've never grown out of and sims are like animated dolls.
    I also used to design houses on a piece of paper and imagine the furnishings and decorations and now with the sims I can see just what those houses look like.

There is also this...I feel invested in my sims lives and I want to see what happens next...you know someones due for a promotion you've been building towards, someone else is having a baby (what will it be, what will it look like?)or theres a new sim in town you want your sim to meet, and so much more.

And there is just the pure escapism of it...while controlling those little lives you forget about some of the problems in your own for a while. :)
  • Options
    BosniaFTWBosniaFTW Posts: 1,192 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Shhh, don't question it's awesomeness! It might back fire, or jinx, or something.
  • Options
    PATTYPOOHPATTYPOOH Posts: 24 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I think control is absolutely right. I started playing when I was first diagnosed with cancer and didn't know what was going to happen.
    I played all through surgeries, chemo, and rads. It was an escape. I also discovered XBOX RPG's. 4 years later and can Cancer free I still enjoy the escape.
  • Options
    CaselNobotTivaCaselNobotTiva Posts: 137 Member
    edited March 2013
    I believe that sims are so addictive because they're kinda like real life. You can make your sim look however you want(u can even pick the ears or the eye simpler details, or the cheek bones etc), live in a house you can either make however you want and manage their whole life!! You can live a thousand different lives (We all know there's no way a game can be exactly the same as an other one) and make even your wildest dreams com true with your sims. You can even create yourself and people around you and experiment with how the future will be like!! It gives you so much power and so many abilities!!

Plus, I am sure we all know the moments when we say "Let's turn off the game. Oh, wait! Just 5 minutes to see how the bachelor will end!" and later "Just 5 minutes to see the wedding" and after hours later you're still like: "Oh come on! Just the graduation of their third child!" :P lolol Not to mention the difficulties that occur and the accidental things you have to think how to manage, just as in real life!
  • Options
    PATTYPOOHPATTYPOOH Posts: 24 New Member
    edited April 2013

Plus, I am sure we all know the moments when we say "Let's turn off the game. Oh, wait! Just 5 minutes to see how the bachelor will end!" and later "Just 5 minutes to see the wedding" and after hours later you're still like: "Oh come on! Just the graduation of their third child!" :P lolol Not to mention the difficulties that occur and the accidental things you have to think how to manage, just as in real life!
    [/quote]

Ha like when you just start the game with 1 sim. And she gets killed by a meteor and you just stare at the screen.
  • Options
    JenngnomeJenngnome Posts: 668 Member
    edited April 2013
    PATTYPOOH wrote:

Ha like when you just start the game with 1 sim. And she gets killed by a meteor and you just stare at the screen.

this just happened to me this week -hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss- Husband saw me staring at the screen saying "... really?... what?... really? This game isn't serious.... really?" and had to comfort me. (I was offended. It wasn't just any sim either, it was my Self-Sim which added insult to injury.)

But yea, I honestly don't think there is 1 answer, because every simmer is different and what appeals to certain simmers doesn't at all appeal to others.

What keeps ME addicted, is it is a chance to act out storylines that go through my head. Whenever I have a new story i'd love to make, I create it and see what happens.

I've done Doctor Who spin-offs with some hillarious results. A story of a Ninja and Whitemage from Final Fantasy to see how the world would play out. Did a Hellsing spin-off which ended up with my Alucard Sim falling in love with Walter... (it was a strange and exciting storyline that I did not predict.)

But that's my thing. I have a lot of imagination, and when I create a save file-- I'm editting the whole town, creating storylines for each and every member of the community, then seeing how things go. That seems like too much work to other people, but for my personal tastes, it's intriguing and a fun way to see my ideal for a storyline grow and expand (in ways I predicted, and sometimes, in ways that I never could have foreseen)
  • Options
    lupusrex180lupusrex180 Posts: 644 Member
    edited April 2013
    It's addictive to me personally because of the endless variation! There's so much to do and so many situations that can exist that there isn't time to try all of the ideas I think of. I think most players are in the same boat.

I also love any game with psychology built into it. Watching the household behave autonomously, I can observe the behavioral effects of traits, objects, and relationships or tinker with these factors to see how behavior changes.

I have recently become addicted to the genetics system too. I love seeing what descendants look like. Occasionally I'll load up a mod and just spend hours combining townies or my Sims from different saves to see how their kids would look. AFAIK, not too many games where you can take on the role of a "human"-breeder. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    catitude4catitude4 Posts: 102 New Member
    edited April 2013
    It's more than just control, it's all the things you can do that you never could do in real life. One thing is you can live in any kind of house you want, all kinds of super beautiful places.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited April 2013
    All of the above...plus the game never has an ending. You can go on and on with the generations or until the file glitches out. :lol:

Seriously, neverending game has kept me interested for 12+ years now.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.