The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For rent: Questions on shared spaces

JALJAL Posts: 1,106 Member
I moved two sisters and their families into the same house using for rent, basically I made turned their bedrooms into apartments, with living room, bathrooms and kitchen shared spaces. But when playing I noticed some odd things in game. The book case only holds books if the sister I'm actively playing bought it. Same with the refrigerator - it's empty for the sister who did not purchase the fridge.

Well not a big problem, I thought, and just pressed open on the fridge and tried to add produce into the fridge - only to find that I couldn't add things to the space at all. Is it really a design of the game that two apartments can't share a cooking space? Everything else seems to work just fine, and the bookcases are easy enough to solve (just have more than one), but I don't really want two refrigerators in the kitchen.
Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,532 Member
    I saw people playing hotel type set-ups with common kitchen area and they seemed fine. Maybe here the issue is that you turned their house into apartments after they moved in, so the game has issue differentiating between who owns what on the lot? Maybe if you try moving them out and back again, the issue will be solved.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,072 Member
    @JAL I don't have the pack and can't test, but I think bookcases and fridges inventory belong to the household, not to the bookcase or fridge.
    At least, when a household has multiple bookcases or multiple fridges, you can take out any book your household owns from any bookcase on the lot. Same with any fridge on the lot.

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,523 Member
    @JAL I don't have the pack and can't test, but I think bookcases and fridges inventory belong to the household, not to the bookcase or fridge.
    At least, when a household has multiple bookcases or multiple fridges, you can take out any book your household owns from any bookcase on the lot. Same with any fridge on the lot.

That's indeed how it works for normal residential lots. The fridge inventory is stored with the household. If you move lots, then the content of the fridge on the original lot is the same as the fridge of the new lot.

So I expect with for rent that each household, in this case each sister, has her own fridge inventory.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,106 Member
    That is unfortunate. I solved the issue by turning off the simple living trait so that they can cook without the ingredients. I've noticed one other downside, however, and that is that the rating of the rental unit gets low without toilets and kitchen in the actual unit (shared spaces are not counted). It means that when I play the sister who owns the ranch, her sister and brother-in-law keeps protesting their poor conditions, even with their rent set to §0 and spacious and high quality shared spaces. When I went to add another bathroom to make it "theirs" I couldn't edit their apartment because they live there. That has never happened when I just play the tenant, then I can always edit the entire build from world view.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,072 Member
    @JAL Oh interesting. That's kind of annoying, since shared spaces can add a lot of value to (or detract from the value of) apartments in real life. I mean, some luxury apartments have giant billboards advertising their shared gyms, lounges, decks etc.