Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What lifespan do you play on? (Legacy Players)

I just started a Lepacy, however as for the first generation you are literally only using base game, its getting pretty boring and my sim has only just turned adult, still another 40 days left until elder! I have already completed this generations challenge, so I dont really know what to do with her now. I was thinking, maybe I should play on short lifespan? But I never have before and I am worried about what the negatives might be. Like harder to get childhood traits with less time etc? On the other hand, I dont want to lose interest for each generation taking forever! Thoughts guys? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,369 Member
    If I play legacies (rarely), I always play in short. Anything longer and I get attached and absorbed in my sims' lives and as a result lose track of the challenge goals (what is good for the sim, of course, but bad for winning the challenge).

Toddler are definitely harder on short lifespan, you can get Happy Toddler no problem, but for Top Notch you'll have to be ruhtlessly efficient (sleep in tent instead of toddler bed, spam the toddler slide for motor and hugging the bear for social, only ever feed fruit from inventory, best put everything the rugrat needs in a single room and lock the door).

I don't remember how hard childhood aspirations were, but two should be doable, maybe all four.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 246 Member
    I always play on short or I would get bored very fast :D This way it actually feels like an accomplishment to finish an aspiration and my Sims are not instantly super rich, which I also prefer.

And yes, getting infant milestones (if you have GRO), character traits (for PH) or just child or teen aspirations (for HSY) are a lot harder to get or accomplish, but maybe that's a plus if you enjoy a challenge.

I still have to adjust because short lifespan got so much longer since the infant update, lol.
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,065 Member
    It sounds like the current lifespan is getting to be not fun for you, so go ahead and change it :)

I usually play on normal. Short is challenging. Though I typically don't get all the way through a childhood aspiration even on normal; my current legacy is on generation 4 and I think two kids have earned a gifted trait in the whole game so far. Top notch toddler is also rare. That's okay with me as I don't really want everyone to be gifted.

The other thing your post made me think of is the Adult lifestage. Usually at this point I'm changing my focus to the Teens in the next generation, so the Adults fade into the background and run autonomously for the most part, unless there's something really specific I'm trying to accomplish with an Adult in the household.
  • Options
    Jordan1975Jordan1975 Posts: 32 Member
    I usually start out with a teen sim, and the lifespan I play on is normal until they become a young adult then I'll turn aging off. Then I'll decide a little later on if I want to age them up, but I usually don't.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    Depending on the challenge I'm going for, I start out on normal and adjust it as needed.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Leanne1989Leanne1989 Posts: 9 New Member
    Long, because I have to much Sims I want to give attention and I can't do that when I play in short. But I don't like raising toddlers, so when a family gets a baby I switch to another Sims house to focus on the job or other things till the toddler is grown up to a child. :D
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 1,006 Member
    Since I only do 2 families per legacy and there's a residential rental glitch playing on long (my former default lifespan) that aged all my sims as if I was playing on normal if I moved anyone in an apartment, I now have switched to playing on normal lifespan. It's so liberating not to be bogged down by all the lengthy toddler stages or to go through prom after prom. At the high school update all my sims ages were reset to the beginning of the span which gave even more days to all the ages and when infants arrived the long lifespan gave each stage more days. Still wish there was a lifespan somewhere between normal and long. I don't enjoy switching all the time or turning aging on and off. Goals might be harder to get but I'm discovering ways to get them I had not considered before.