Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone ever made the big penthouse lot in city living into retail lot?

I was just wondering if you can make the big penthouse lot in city living into a large 2 or 3 story retail lot? I wasn’t sure if it had to remain residential or if you can actually make it a retail lot.

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited November 2023
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if you can make the big penthouse lot in city living into a large 2 or 3 story retail lot? I wasn’t sure if it had to remain residential or if you can actually make it a retail lot.

As far as I know these lots can be changed into any lot type you want. I have had a dorm, a rental, a restaurant and a bar on a penthouse lot. I see no reason why it can't be a retail.

Edit: I just read that the new residential rentals can't be used on penthouses. This is the first restriction I know off.

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited November 2023
    Yes, they can be retail lots. The penthouse in the Fashion District (far left side of the map) is a functional android store in my game, and before that, I had a restaurant there.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I think one of the penthouse lots is already non-residential (there's a penthouse lounge or bar in the uptown/business area). So I think they can take almost any lot type, but sadly not the new residential rentals.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    If you refer to the penthouse at Fashion District, I have a Duke residing there. Their estate covers 2 floors. Never had any trouble playing the lot, but need to get used to slightly different "moving about as Watcher", because gravity feels a tad different up there. I think you can adjust everything except outer walls. I kept the elevator where it used to be, but I think it can be placed anywhere on the entrance floor.

If you ask because of the upcoming For Rent pack, it was confirmed in a recent Q&A that we can not build rental units in those San Myshuno penthouses.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »

As far as I know these lots can be changed into any lot type you want. I have had a dorm, a rental, a restaurant and a bar on a penthouse lot. I see no reason why it can't be a retail.

Edit: I just read that the new residential rentals can't be used on penthouses. This is the first restriction I know off.

Yeah, I read that too, actually watched a video where they talked about it. I want to make a big retail store out of the big penthouse. Glad to know that won’t be restricted. I wanted to find out before I moved my family out of there. Mentioning rental, now you have me wondering if we can change a dorm or student housing to a rental instead.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    If you refer to the penthouse at Fashion District, I have a Duke residing there. Their estate covers 2 floors. Never had any trouble playing the lot, but need to get used to slightly different "moving about as Watcher", because gravity feels a tad different up there. I think you can adjust everything except outer walls. I kept the elevator where it used to be, but I think it can be placed anywhere on the entrance floor.

If you ask because of the upcoming For Rent pack, it was confirmed in a recent Q&A that we can not build rental units in those San Myshuno penthouses.

Yeah, I changed stuff around a bit when I moved the Langrabbs in there in my main save, but I plan to move them out and make a mini mall out of it, and have some activities, maybe a small arcade, not completely sure what type of retail stores yet. I was kind of hoping they’d come out with a mall lot before I did that, but I don’t think they will soon.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Yeah, I read that too, actually watched a video where they talked about it. I want to make a big retail store out of the big penthouse. Glad to know that won’t be restricted. I wanted to find out before I moved my family out of there. Mentioning rental, now you have me wondering if we can change a dorm or student housing to a rental instead.

Technically the dorm buildings in DU function like penthouses in CL. You can change the lot type and freely build on them but require an elevator. I was able to turn the foxbury dorm into a bar (for testing) and played at least 2 terms in a dorm on a penthouse lot in San mychuno. I expect the dorms in britechester to follow the same rules as the penthouses in San mychuno. A rental lot, to go on holiday, should work but a residential rental with multiple units probably won't.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    In my game, the fashion district penthouse is a huge spa.