Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What can you do with canning preserves?

I've had HOB for a while now and never really looked into the canning until now. I'm playing a medieval lot and decided to start canning. I have several cans and expected to be able to use them in recipes to make pies and things but I haven't found anything. Can you not use your canned goods in recipes? I know sims can just eat right from the can.. is that all they can do with them other than sell them or gift them?

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,551 Member
    Ah no! Somebody told me we could use them in recipes and it was a way to keep ingredients fresh. I've been making loads of canned goods for that reason! I hope I haven't wasted my time :(
  • Options
    randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    If a recipe calls for tomato, and you have canned tomatoes instead of fresh, the recipe will use the canned ones. It works best with grocery delivery. You can only buy so much at a time, 2maybe three of something, with ordering groceries. 1 tomato equals three jars of tomato sauce, making you 3 tomatoes into the equivalent of 9 tomatoes. Its the same with all canned goods. Mayo and custard do have specific recipes that call for them, however, I'm not sure if it is needed if your lot does not have simple living lot trait.
  • Options
    Kittie885Kittie885 Posts: 94 Member
    Thank you! I feel better about canning knowing some recipes can use them!
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    You can use mushroom conserve to make mushroom soup and if you have vegetarian sims you can use the fake meat cans to make faux meat bowls
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Yes, you can definitely use them in recipes. Also, with the Simple Living challenge, a lot of your ingredients will now go bad eventually, so canning preserves them, just like in real life.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Tip, hover over the finished canning products. Normal quality items last awhile, excellent quality lasts a really long time, but poor quality canned goods will go off pretty quickly. I also think if you have a sim with the Fresh Chef reward trait your canned goods last forever.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    Sell them when you have too many they're worth quite a lot. Many of my simple living families don't have jobs and make plenty of money on canned goods, other produce (milk eggs wool) also selling baked goods to bakery etc.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,551 Member
    Awww, that is a relief to know they can go in recipes. Yay 😁 I really love to use the simple living lot trait even if I'm not farming.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    @wahini2024 I didn’t realize you could sell your bakery goods to a bakery, or do you mean you can own a bakery and sell them there?

@elanorbreton yes I love the simple living trait, almost all of my sims households have that trait, except really rich ones I cheat with to own stores so other sims can use the stores. I wish we had a simple living clothing traits to add to lots too.

• Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    @SheriSim57 when a sim finishes baking just click on the baked goods and an option to sell to local bakery should pop up. I'm not sure if there's a skill level requirement or not but you don't need to own a bakery or even be in a culinary career. This also includes cupcakes.