Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What pack to buy?

SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
So, friends have given me a bit of money to spend on one (1) sims pack. Which should it be? Here's what I'm dithering over.
banner.png

What pack to buy? 74 votes

Strangerville
28%
Frn0731maggiemae8135viola-illyriarjssimYBNS2468LiELFMDianaSimsmusteniRedShoe7superkyle221Atreya33MondaySERVERFRAhaisinKimmerGeminiRoseGreenTurtleKerriganEternalSunshineHavenRose 21 votes
Eco Lifestyle
32%
BluegayleBlkBarbiegalsimgirl1010freindlylolLustianiciaRamblineRoseGlimmer50bixtersEvaliynSheriSim57AlanSimsFanPhoriafilipomelEvilyn_1007Behappy1stDrakosPeralTTNsimmerxstxrrysequenceEliasVersace 24 votes
Nifty Knitting
16%
Mariefoxprice83cchant86annaliese39snoepjes1210DoloresGreyWaytoomanyUIDsTwoeta_BirdBreazonaPurpleHeatherplumboy23IsharellAaleyn 12 votes
Dream Home Decorator
18%
Akl500PJaiSeaMarkooshtaydevQuaaylogionshotbyronponyfhtagnClousinatorsXievomrtnsabGrimlyFiendishZoeyevestergabsomegc 14 votes
Industrial Loft Kit
0%
Country Kitchen Kit
1%
luthienrising 1 vote
Bowling Night Stuff
1%
PreCiious 1 vote
Cool Kitchen Stuff
1%
SimDork23 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    MarkooshMarkoosh Posts: 108 Member
    Dream Home Decorator

I mean ultimately it depends on what you like and see yourself using.... but
    Since you listed an Expansion Pack, which costs 40$ (more than the other ones) I'll assume that's how much you have.

Me personally, I'd skip that particular expansion (It doesn't interest me at all) and get Dream Home Decorator and Strangeville for that 40 bucks. They're worth it imo.

Or wait for sale maybe? I don't know, I've always been lucky to have time to play the game just as a sale pops up... I've no clue what's their time rotation for that, if there is one :smiley:
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,428 Member
    Strangerville
    The different types of dlc have very different prices so I find it hard to compare. I would advise going for a game pack or an expansion pack because they add most to the game. I would not go for a kit if there are bigger packs you are interested in.

Strangerville is an interesting pack with a different approach. I like the world, the military career, the build buy(especially the Windows). But eco lifestyle or nifty knitting are also very good packs with gameplay I enjoy. Perhaps the 3 of them could make an interesting bundle?.
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    Strangerville
    StrangerVille out of the list for sure.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    It definitely depends on your interests, but if we are talking impact an EP is probably your best bet. I quite enjoy Eco. It was something I never would have requested or really expected, but it it content I always engage with. Plus it is a unique offering of 4 and really does live up to the EP specification of touching all worlds.

Strangerville is really good, too, though. I love that world. That mesa neighborhood is my dedicated posh neighborhood; I drop Chez Llama and a spa in it every game. Plus, it is probably one of the most stand out packs for 4 in terms of uniqueness. The infected impressed me and I appreciate the risk they took with it. Plus the clothes were pretty great for hot weather outfits, too. It doesn't really add much outside of Strangerville, though.

Bowling Night wasn't my favorite. I've placed the bowling alley bar lot a ridiculous number of times now and still haven't bothered to go in game. I have placed the bowling object in residential lots more reliably, but it takes too much space to really depend on this. It is at least a minor skill, though. *shrug* Nifty Knitting isn't bad. Pretty good for a SP, and I do find it funny to force the hats on the knitters' relatives. You know what you are signing up for with it. I'd personally pick Cool Kitchen over them both just because I love the ice cream maker/functionality; plus if you have Dine Out you can serve all that ice cream in restaurants. I love the idea of an ice cream parlor or just having it as a dessert.

DHD... *sigh* I wasn't super excited anyway and then it dropped pretty bugged. (And I don't think a lot was fixed, but who knows. Run through the patch notes to check.) However, it has lots of unique BB and I personally like assigning decor preferences even if it is one step away from cosmetic only. If you want the BB and the career, have at it.

Kits are kits. I think they are cheap enough to grab and I really like Country Kitchen due to my own preferences, but eh.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    Eco Lifestyle has a free trial starting tomorrow so you may want to try that before making your decision.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Strangerville
    I would go with Eco Lifestyle or StrangerVille depending on your interests. Personally I like using these packs together.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    Well Strangerville is fun to play but once you are you are done, ECO lyfestyle provide longer gp
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited September 2021
    Eco Lifestyle
    I say Eco lifestyle simply because it is an EP and it has a lot more objects, furniture game play, etc. with it. But if you get it, I would disable NPC NAP voting before doing anything else.

My second pick would be Strangerville, because even though it is a gamepack it has as large of a world as most of the newer Expansion packs, it’s a pretty desert world too, and I think it is fun to play through once. It also gives a military career,

Nifty knitting is a great skill for your sims ( especially my older females )., it also comes with plopsy which lets you sell just anything you make ( that fits in personal inventory ) online, including little statues from the wood working bench, candles you make etc. it also comes with a rocking chair that younger sims can use too.

I also like DHD for the new furniture, great for apartments or small homes. I haven’t played the career, but hear there may be some bugs or glitches with it. It adds a counter top stove, and separate oven as well.

Bowling stuff has a lot of new furniture, mostly for a bowling ally, but some could be used for a living room, and is a fun activity to add to bars, etc. my daughter makes bowling clubs ( if you have get together there is that ). I also add arcades, and you could make a bowling center/arcade with a bar.

Cool kitchen adds a few more appliances and an ice cream machine. Some of the ice creams can do different things to your sim such as Lose weight, gain weight, and several other things (read about it by googling if you are interested in that ). If you have dine out, you can add ice cream to the menu.

Country kitchen and Industrial loft kit are my favorite kits too, though if you want to build a Moroccan Oasis home that is right up there with those two.

• Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Strangerville
    Strangerville is one of my favourites. I enjoyed the story and I like to return to it and use elements from it. I have had fun playing with infected sims and the world is beautiful and quirky. The spying machine and placing bugs on other sims is fun.
  • Options
    JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 909 Member
    Dream Home Decorator
    You can try the Eco Lifestyle free trial, and if you don't like that I'd say Dream Home Decorator. It's the only one on your list that I really played with longer then a week.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    I severely underestimated Eco Lifestyle when it was first announced... it's actually a decent expansion pack with fun new gameplay! It was like Get Together all over again.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Strangerville
    If you like the fun SiFi play in Sims 4 get Strangerville. Also, it goes so perfect with Get to Work. ;)
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Strangerville
    I like Strangerville more than Eco so I picked that. It's a solid story to play through and a decent town.
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Dream Home Decorator
    I'd go with Dream Home Decorator, because that's the one on the list that I've actually played, and have so far been pleasantly surprised with. I didn't think it was going to be my sort of pack, but I got some recent birthday money and thought, 'well why not pick a sims pack that I was kind of meh on when it was first released, maybe give something different a go' - and yeah, I've been really surprised at how engaged I am with the gameplay of the DHD pack.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    cecesims41cecesims41 Posts: 22 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    I just got Eco Lifestyle and really love it, both for the build items and the world. I like neighborhoods that feel real and human, and it definitely reminds me of places I've lived. Also fun if you're into environmental activism and that kind of thing!
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited September 2021
    Nifty Knitting
    Strangerville or nifty knitting, the one adds a decent new mechanic and lots of useful stuff, the other adds a decent new game world. They aren't particularly buggy (Eco Lifestyle is a bugfest) and offer far more bang for you buck than the kits
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Strangerville
    I recommend watching gameplay videos of the packs you are most interested in to see if you will enjoy what the packs offer. I picked Strangerville mainly because I am currently playing it with my version of a covert operator (military career that comes with it) and a scientist who are into finding out more about aliens and intrigued with the mystery in Strangerville. I am really enjoying it and can't wait for the final battle! I think you should choose whichever one fits best with the gameplay you have in mind.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited September 2021
    Dream Home Decorator
    Dream Home Decorator or Eco Lifestyle, both have lasted very long for me. They both give you the option to have a very large goal to work towards and the more worlds you have the more you can play with them. Dream Home decorator let's you renovate any household and lot in the game, and Eco Lifestyle gives you the option to make all your worlds green or industrial. But you might want to turn off NAPs in the settings because those can be annoying.

Eco Lifestyle has a free trial right now as well so you can try it and see if you like it.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Reviews and guides for each of those packs already exists, but no one except yourself can say what kind of gameplay or content you would enjoy most. I am not always good at predicting that for myself.

Review your options and what they offer, and don't offer, and choose the one you want. I don't see how you can expect anyone else to know what you will enjoy.
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    Cool Kitchen Stuff
    I personally love Cool Kitchen the most out of all of those packs. :)
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    Strangerville
    Strangerville has some of the best and most unique gameplay out of all the packs in TS4's history. The only downside is that the story is a bit on the short side. However, even after that, it comes with a world that's almost EP size, a new career and really good BB.

Eco Lifestyle would also be a good choice, but it's twice the cost. I consider Strangerville to be much better bang for buck.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    Kinda depends on your personal preferences and game style, but if I was picking between those, eco is probably what I'd go with. It comes with a world to build on for one thing, and I like Evergreen more than Strangerville, world wise. Plus the game play elements are ones that actually impact my day to day play the most, adding an actual layer to the over all texture of all my sims, rather than something that one or two sims may dabble with once in while.

If I were gonna pick one of the others, it'd probably be home decorator. It's really only noticeable if you're actually actively playing the decorator career, but playing that decorator career is pretty darn fun--imo, the most fun "mini game" included so far. But, that's probably cause I rather like decorating in the sims lol.

3rd choice would probably be knitting, as it is awfully cute, but again you're only really gonna get something out of it if you make a sim you're playing an active knitter.

All the other ones are fine, all at least have some good cas and build/buy items that I use regularly (aside from loft and country kitchen--I don't own any kits, so can't speak to that), but other than that, I hardly notice them in my game at all. My sims never go bowling, only occasionally make ice cream, and I only ever go to strangerville if I'm in a mood to let a sim I'm playing have the strangerville aspiration--other wise I avoid it entirely, as I find it quite annoying and tedious, both in terms of the "beat the aliens" storyline, and the world in general I find quite drab.

Again tho, this is just my personal feelings and preferences, you'll know better for yourself what kind of game you like to play!
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    @SquirrelTail15 which did you end up buying?☺️
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    ponyfhtagnponyfhtagn Posts: 17 Member
    Dream Home Decorator
    for me dream home decorator has a lot of items I really like and use all the time, but I agree that the gameplay needs a few fixes still