Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Drowning in laundry

Even when I delete or sell the piles that come up when the hamper is full, its still overwhelming.

Currently Im enjoying off-the-grid households. Primarily one in sulani, no electronics (except the weed sucker that I cant control), tried technophobes but they lost the lifestyle... because they didnt use electronics... and no washing machine or dryer. So I have six sims, one hamper, one washing tub and one clothing line. I dont want to create more of them or use a maid or get patchy because that ruins the immersion for me.

As a comparison, my household with five sims (three adult vampires, two kids), a washing machine and dryer is a breeze.

The problem is there is a pool on the lot. Well, the pool isnt the problem. I built it so the sims dont go into the ocean and too far away from the lot. And they swim alot. Its an island/ocean theme after all. The actual problem is they create too much laundry.

Since they dont need fancy clothes, I made them simple clothes for all outfits. Yet they change all the time. When they go to bed, swimming, bathing... Even though they dont change really. And they only change into their everyday outfit when they come out of the bath tub. Otherwise they run around in their sleeping or swimming outfit which look like their everyday outfit.

And laundry dries so slow. It takes a sim day to dry but they create a full hamper what seems like several times a day. Washing takes long too. And when they wash it there is no guarantee it results in clean clothes. I had sims hang up used clothes or return clean clothes to the hamper which prevents any interaction with the hamper unless a sim creates a clothing pile to order the sim to wash all of it.

I feel like Im being punished for having sims wash clothes by hand.

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I have mentioned this exact same problem in off the grid Sulani, but mine were ocean fanatics. There isn't really a solution other than increasing at least your clothes lines. I know it is meant to be harder, but it is fairly ridiculous how often they autonomously do something to get changed.

I don't even bother with hampers in these situations. I try to make sure when my Sims do complete a load of laundry that they get everything, and them not being confused by hampers and excess to hampers has helped me prior, but you absolutely have to keep on top of it. It is a proper chore.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Are you against adding more hampers too? Because one hamper is definitely not enough for six sims. It's not enough even with a washing machine, IMO. I think the ideal amount of hampers is one per sim, but if you think six hampers look ridiculous, try to compromise with three.
  • Options
    ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    I added two more hampers in rather remote locations on the lot. Im not happy about it but it helped to reduce the need to wash every few hours.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Genie1221Genie1221 Posts: 223 Member
    I feel your pain. Why does the clothing have to go into the hamper when they change to cold weather then again when they come inside and change back to their daily outfit? Changing into and out of cold weather clothing should not produce laundry... I don't wash my coat every time I use it but rather only at the end of winter each year unless I dribble stuff on it at the Christmas market, then yeah, then I do wash it when I get home. :D
  • Options
    ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    Instead of a system that remembers the time each outfit is worn, they went for a "change your clothes, create a pile" system. Its a lazy system.

Maybe when they overhaul packs they change this to a chance based system.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Or a dirt based system for different things. Go out in the rain, coat gets wet. Struck by lightning, clothes need some mending, perhaps. Have a clear, cool day, meh... Cleaning can wait. Change clothes before and after sleeping, then wash. Jump in puddles wash.

You know, stuff like that.