Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off the Grid

An awful lot of what you can do in the Sims is tied to the computer. However it you are living an off the grid life that is lost to you. What does the game offer as a computer substitute? Before we had computers and the internet, we had land line telephones, mail order, manual typewriters etc. that didn't require computers.

Comments

• Options
    akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I just ran into this. Living off the grid I had no problem with until my sim got into the Freelance Crafter career. That requires you to chat with your client via the computer, they neglected to make a phone option for this. I had to put a computer ( or 2 ) in the 3 community spaces. It was kind of a pain but it worked. For fun, the Slablet works off the grid.
  • Options
    GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 118 Member
    Why don't we have composting toilets for off the grid living in eco lifestyle? I hope they patch them in.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Gorgeoious wrote: »
    Why don't we have composting toilets for off the grid living in eco lifestyle? I hope they patch them in.

We do actually. It’s an upgrade on all toilets to use compost :)
  • Options
    daisy1989daisy1989 Posts: 87 Member
    I sent my Sim to a different lot and used her phone to find a job

At her own place she has electric and water generators that I have her power with insect bio-fuel so that she can use a computer.
    Check out my YouTube channel @ DaisySims
  • Options
    Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    And, despite my complaint about the computers, living off the grid is hard as it should be. Modern society lives in an electrical world. We are not set up anymore to live in a non electrical world. Much of the US was non electrical until the 1930's and FDR's electrification projects. My parents grew up with real ice boxes, kerosene lamps, outdoor privys, no TV, no air conditioning etc. It's hard to go back and live without the "necessities" of modern life.

One simple thing would be nice and that would be to enable wall shelving to accept lanterns, candles etc.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Overall I like the redo on this trait, but I am supremely annoyed at the cooking limitations. I do not understand why you cannot cook all the regular recipes off the grid :/ . It doesn’t make any sense. Before there was a grid people baked bread, had grand holiday meals, roasted chicken, ate pasta, and so on. It’s ridiculous.

I love having to add ice to the fridge, that makes sense, and gathering water all of the rest of it is terrific. But the cooking limitations just wreck it for me.
  • Options
    A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    akaniki0 wrote: »
    I just ran into this. Living off the grid I had no problem with until my sim got into the Freelance Crafter career. That requires you to chat with your client via the computer, they neglected to make a phone option for this. I had to put a computer ( or 2 ) in the 3 community spaces. It was kind of a pain but it worked. For fun, the Slablet works off the grid.

Did you try the laptop by any chance? I haven’t played off the grid yet. It sounds like fun.
    Overall I like the redo on this trait, but I am supremely annoyed at the cooking limitations. I do not understand why you cannot cook all the regular recipes off the grid :/ . It doesn’t make any sense. Before there was a grid people baked bread, had grand holiday meals, roasted chicken, ate pasta, and so on. It’s ridiculous.

I love having to add ice to the fridge, that makes sense, and gathering water all of the rest of it is terrific. But the cooking limitations just wreck it for me.

I agree with you. I think the cooking should only be limited by the type of appliance (as in grills vs stoves vs ovens) and not have anything to do with not having electricity.

Although I do like the thought of having additional recipes that only someone living rough would make.
  • Options
    A_Mom wrote: »
    akaniki0 wrote: »

Did you try the laptop by any chance? I haven’t played off the grid yet. It sounds like fun.

I agree with you. I think the cooking should only be limited by the type of appliance (as in grills vs stoves vs ovens) and not have anything to do with not having electricity.

Although I do like the thought of having additional recipes that only someone living rough would make.

Yes, I love that there are recipes that are unique to the trait, I just find it frustrating that they’re the only ones I can cook with the trait. I am all in on just a couple of stoves working, and wish instead of limiting recipes maybe they could’ve had an add fuel command to stoves, like the add ice for refrigerators to make them work.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Bronwin2 wrote: »
    An awful lot of what you can do in the Sims is tied to the computer. However it you are living an off the grid life that is lost to you. What does the game offer as a computer substitute? Before we had computers and the internet, we had land line telephones, mail order, manual typewriters etc. that didn't require computers.

Libraries. Just send your sim there when needed. But I agree that we really need typewriters.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member

I have come to peace with the fact that we have less dishes to cook. But I wish they all had a 4 and 8 portion option, now most of them are one person servings. If you have a family with children or toddlers, it is really nice to be able to cook for the entire household in one go. Luckily the cauldron from RoM gives more servings but not every one has that pack. And of course an option to bake a cake is needed.

The add ice option is a nice touch. I like that one.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    edited June 2020

I have to withdraw this comment. I spoke too soon. It turns out that if your sim has decent handiness skill, & enough eco upgrade parts they can upgrade your stove and fridge to enable access to all of the regular recipes in the game in addition to the off the grid specific recipes. You will need to fill the appliances periodically with fuel which can be either bits and pieces, or bio fuel from your bug farm. So I guess I will withhold my criticisms until I more fully explore this pack, because I am sure there’s a lot more I don’t know yet. ☺️
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I'm playing off the grid and my Sims just got to the point where they're able to use computers, watch TV, and play radio. I just made sure I had enough power stored up to do so. & I just upgraded my Sim's laptop with the eco upgrade parts to accept bio fuel or whatever, as she's a freelance crafter and traveling with all the loading screens was driving me nuts. I had my Sim upgrade the stove/fridge as well. What I don't understand yet, is if eco upgrade parts make things more "green" vs. "industrial" or if using the bio fuel vs regular fuel has an impact.