Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A future for apartments

A while ago there was a discussion on this forum about DLC for DLC and it got me thinking about apartments.

I think there should be room for apartments in a new pack, and not as DLC for DLC. The reason: there are already features being repeated in packs.
- The most prominent feature is going on vacation. JA borrowed 'the vacation code' work from OR but it is not set up as DLC for DLC. You don't need OR to go into the jungle. And this allowed the team to make create new features for JA which results in a different type of vacation. The resetting temple and the closed gates make you go back more. As a bonus having both packs will allow you to combine them and use tents in JA.
- The new actor career is based on the get to work careers yet improved with variations on the set, the ability to stay after work, more career diversity through agencies,... I don't believe we would have gotten this career if get to work careers were not already created.
- Perks/weaknesses from vampires have similarities to the perks and quirks for get famous. But they gave it a twist in no longer being able to choose your weakness, it is now added at random.
Other features have also been repeated like food stalls in several packs

So when it comes to apartments, I think they should be possible in a new pack but with a new twist. And the first difference that comes to mind would be roommates. Give sims the possibility to live with a roommate (in apartments or in houses) And if you give the appartments a different setting, perhaps a smaller scale (a house with 3 or 4 units to live in, but not a big building underneath) or more suburban, so you notice immeadiatly you are not in San Myshuno.

If people want apartments with festivals and the big, shiny city they need City Living
If people want apartments with roommates in a new setting and hopefully some other features they would need a new pack.
Should people get both, they can combine features and they would be able to have a roommate in the big city San Myshuno.

Comments

• Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited January 2019
    Should be a free update IMO. Add on to that the ability to place our own high rises on other lots. Apartments are supposed to be one of the staples of City Living, if they failed at executing them then they should fix it. Any following DLC I'd expect to contain new themes or gameplay, I've grown quite tired of the rehashing of slightly different skins for the game.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I guess it all comes down to how you define apartments, or rather, what you expect from them. When someone mentions apartments in reference to The Sims, I immediately think of the apartments in TS2. Granted, you had to type in a cheat first, but then you were able to create your own perfectly functional apartments of any size on any lot in any world, you could have them atop of or next to each other, edit the surroundings, the outer walls and windows, and last but not least, your sims could have NPC roommates.

None of this is possible in TS4. You're given several premade apartment lots in one world, all of which are high up in their respective buildings, and you can change the interior, but that's it. Many fans complain that they once again got less for their money than in previous games, but I have to defend City Living in that regard because, as the name implies, it's a pack about sims living in the city, with all that comes with it, and apartments are just one element of that, so it's okay that they're not fully fleshed out.

But does that mean we can never get fully fleshed out apartments in the future? I don't think so, and if we do, it will open up a lot more possibilities than we have in the game now, so I wouldn't feel like I'm paying for the same content twice. In any case, I would find it preferable to never getting the ability to build our own apartments at all, and that is what I really want from apartments, not just more premade apartment lots just like the ones in San Myshuno.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I would buy a pack for better apartments. The city living ones are terrible. They look like apartments because of the prefab shell, but they’re just floating, oddly shaped lots. What kind of inner-city high rise apartment complex has no lobby, and no amenities? The only communal area is a hallway, and that is super underwhelming.

Apartments need to be based out of build mode, not created using world props. The latter is a feature killer. I get where they were going with the one’s in CL, but they knew what players were wanting and decided against it for an inferior design.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Even if apts were available in other neighborhoods, I would want apts that I can build from scratch bottom to top and not a palette that is chosen for me being it would be limited in view on creativity just like the layouts of neighborhoods that EA/Maxis provide for us as that is limited as well.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Maybe with University we could get buildable apartments. Dorms are similar and you could choose a room and live with multiple NPC roommates
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    I hope one day, apartments will actually be able to be shared on the gallery as "apartments", not rooms.

I always wondered what the problem was.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited January 2019
    I think universities and dorms might actually be a good idea to improve or add to apartments. If they were reused in a new pack, apartments should definitely not be the main focus of this pack, but a welcome addition. This would also help to differentiate the new pack from city living with it's festivals and big city.

I was also a bit fan of sims 2 apartments. I didn't build many from scratch but I liked having the possibility. It was great to create lower apartments, not all of them had to be in a high building. I would be great to have something like that in Sims 4 but I think it is unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Maybe with University we could get buildable apartments. Dorms are similar and you could choose a room and live with multiple NPC roommates

This is what I’m hoping for. Box roommates and buildable apartments/dorms.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2019
    All I wanted was a freaking normal and functional elevator. Not that cr*p that came with City Living.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I want functional townhouses. They would work the same as apartments except you can build them the like residentials
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    mika wrote: »
    I want functional townhouses. They would work the same as apartments except you can build them the like residentials

Omg yes! ESPECIALLY since they played around with having lots right next to each other in Get Famous.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I also wish there was more varity with the apartments. It's weird that we only have access to the top floor for all of them. At the very least, there should have been more floors available that we could choose from.
  • Options
    JADETIGERJADETIGER Posts: 23 Member
    I would buy a pack that let me build my own apartments. I remember having lots of fun building apartments in the Sims 2. Both small cabins/houses separated by fences and large apartment buildings with common spaces for the tenants to share. TS2 had the best apartments with what you were able to create - not locked into a specific outer shell, only able to change interior layout.
  • Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    Access to more floors would be a welcome addition to apartments. It would be great to have more than 4 sims in one building. Would make it feel more like a crowded city.

I personally don't like the npc roommates and enjoy the neighbor aspect more. I think it would be better with opening up more floors in a building though so a lobby and amenities areas could be added. Sims could sit by the pool and chat with neighbors. Maybe nicer apartments would have basketball and better amenities.

They need to give us another city world though. Apartments were a great new feature that a lot of players always enjoy getting. To give us 1 city so far without the ability to place apartments anywhere else or build is kind of terrible. I think we deserve a new city free in a patch. Especially with how bad Del Sol was, it should have been that new city.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I am not holding my breathe on EA/Maxis giving me the ability to create apartments from scratch or in any other neighborhoods as my trust in them is tainted. Only time and thier willingness to take this wish from speculation to real is in thier hands.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Vagenius wrote: »
    Access to more floors would be a welcome addition to apartments. It would be great to have more than 4 sims in one building. Would make it feel more like a crowded city.

I personally don't like the npc roommates and enjoy the neighbor aspect more. I think it would be better with opening up more floors in a building though so a lobby and amenities areas could be added. Sims could sit by the pool and chat with neighbors. Maybe nicer apartments would have basketball and better amenities.

They need to give us another city world though. Apartments were a great new feature that a lot of players always enjoy getting. To give us 1 city so far without the ability to place apartments anywhere else or build is kind of terrible. I think we deserve a new city free in a patch. Especially with how bad Del Sol was, it should have been that new city.

Roommates would be cool but should be completely optional for those who don't want them.
    Your suggestion about lobby and pool makes me longing for a 'public' area on the lot which all tenants can use and which we can edit.

A new city would be welcome, and I mean a real city with houses built against each other and appartements not del Sol valley which is basically a city dressing over normal lots.
  • Options
    LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    Apartments should be a base game feature in the next generations of The Sims. With that option we could have more urban worlds!
  • Options
    ClassicSimsClassicSims Posts: 49 Member
    I would love to have an apartment-type of lot, that I could build from scratch. To be able to separate each floor by apartment, put different households in different apartments that could be played at the same time, we could have elevators that went directly into these apartments. It'd be so cool.