Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Grand Meal Tradition Should Not Be Ignored By Toddlers, Children, and Teens

worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
edited September 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Okay, why is the Grand Meal tradition ignored by toddlers, children, and teens? Is it because the meal has to be cooked? If that's the case, then that makes no sense. The tradition doesn't complete exclusively by cooking the meal. It also completes upon eating a serving of the meal, which is a thing that Sims of ALL ages can do. With that in mind, it really doesn't make any sense that toddlers, children, and teens would ignore this tradition. Gurus, I would greatly suggest making the Grand Meal a tradition for all ages.

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don’t agree about toddlers. I don’t think they would know the significance of a grand meal.its food. Stuff for them to throw. For kids and teens I think it should depend on their traits.
  • Options
    SimnoobsieSimnoobsie Posts: 26 Member
    I agree that toddlers probably wouldn't really care about a grand meal. But it is a great time for family bonding over the holidays so it should matter to the older kids. Now if I could get them all to sit together at the table when called to meal that would be great lol
    Find me on Instgram @simnoobsie for all of my builds.
    For full, inside/out images of my builds go to Imgur. User name Simnoobsie
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Eh, I dunno. Personally, irl, from what I've seen, you don't really appreciate all that a grand meal is about until adult hood. Youngsters are more focused on toys, parades, etc. Maybe teens might get it, maybe. But a lot of them would probably find the whole thing boring. Stuck home from school cuz it's a holiday, away from friends, etc.

Sure, Sims is a little bit different, but... I see why it is what it is.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,245 Member
    Funnily enough, my angelic toddler actually loved the Grand Meal tradition. He was exhausted but he got up and ate with his family. Think he even had a Holiday Successful! message afterward, but I wasn't really paying attention as I was just clearing the messages before exiting the game by that point.
    image.png
  • Options
    PansekshuEllePansekshuElle Posts: 7 New Member
    Thanks for making this post.

So for everyone saying "Eh, idk", there actually *are* toddlers who love the Grand Meal tradition. All others ignore it apparently because of their age. Some children ignore it because they are mean. Others all ignore it because they are children. It's extremely arbitrary, and doesn't seem intentional. If it is intentional, it doesn't seem reasonable.

Children and teens are also able to fulfill the "Grilling" tradition by eating grilled food, which makes me think even more that this is an error. And as for whether a particular age group would care irl about Grand Meals, that's the difference between participating in a tradition and loving it. If you really want to nitpick, we can go through all the traditions and decide which ones *realistically* each age group would care about. But this is built into the game already. Some sims ignore traditions because of their traits (mean, snob, etc.), but Grand Meal in particular being ignored--except when it's not--by all sub-adult age groups seems like an oversight.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Clingy toddlers love that tradition.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,110 Member
    It would be great to have younger sims more involved in this. Most people like food, after all!

I wish that the baking tradition applied to eating bake goods as well as the actual baking, just like with the Grand Meal, because I added that to my Thanksgiving so sims got something sweet after their big meal, but of course they get the yellow tick only if they actually bake something.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sounds like whether toddlers like the tradition depends on traits. I wouldn't mind seeing children enjoy the holiday but teens ignore or hate it because it means hanging out with the parents and no teen wants to do that. :) I replaced the Gnomes tradition on Harvestfest with Invite Guests, and my children and teens get to call one or two of their friends and invite them over, so they interact with them and the other visitors and they complete that tradition.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,353 Member
    It shouldn't be ignored by any sim. The game steers too much towards playing stereotypical people instead of individuals for my preference. Myself I didn't care for sitting quietly around a table as a child, either. That apprecciation only came at the teen stage. But the meal itself was a rare treat we got only twice per year, so naturally I was looking forward to it a lot. For purpose of the game, this should suffice as enjoying the grand meal tradition.

My point is the game cannot take into account all possible backgrounds and neither can it derive each sim's reaction from their traits.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2018
    Crisis averted! OP is mistaken. There are some toddlers, children, and teens who do like the Grand Meal tradition which means the results are based upon traits which is by design. False alarm.
  • Options
    XwantonXwanton Posts: 85 Member
    Sorry but it makes no sense. Teens are capable of cooking the grand meal, so why should only gluttons and family-oriented sims care for it just because they didn't hit YA yet? There's no reason for them to act just like children in this regard, especially since this game has been better about not arbitrarily blocking off things for younger age stages than TS3 especially when teens are more or less identical to YAs anyway.
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I really want to have more control on what happens over the holidays in game. I feel as though they are really rushed thru and I have little to no say on who celebrates what& how. I already have the max length between the seasons & it still feels like a year breezes by too fast. I just want more control in my game in general.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    edited October 2018
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Crisis averted! OP is mistaken. There are some toddlers, children, and teens who do like the Grand Meal tradition which means the results are based upon traits which is by design. False alarm.

I'm not entirely sure about that. Sim Guru Nick just posted on a bug reports thread on the issue. He says that this toddlers, children, and teens ignoring the tradition is apparently by design. At the same token, upon looking at SimsVIP's rundown of the traditions, toddlers also ignore the grilling tradition for some reason, even though it's fully capable of completing simply by eating grilled food.
  • Options
    PansekshuEllePansekshuElle Posts: 7 New Member
    > @Chazzzy said:
    > Crisis averted! OP is mistaken. There are some toddlers, children, and teens who do like the Grand Meal tradition which means the results are based upon traits which is by design. False alarm.

This was already stated. The only minors who participate *love* the tradition. ALL the rest of them ignore it because of their age or because of a trait like mean. There's no middle ground. It's an arbitrary thing that makes no sense. If one type of toddler/child/teen loves a tradition, it makes no sense that all the rest can't participate at all because of their age. They should just be neutral participants.

Everyone can eat food. It makes sense for sims with the specific characteristics (mean, etc.) to ignore a tradition like this, but it makes no sense that kids are capable of *participating* in the grilling tradition--again, just eating food, not saying they have to *love* the tradition--but they can't participate in Grand Meal because of their age, while others specifically ignore it because of traits. It's just bizarre.

A lot of people seem to only be associating Grand Meal with American Thanksgiving. It's just a big special meal. It's food. People of all ages like when there's extra special holiday food. Except when they don't. Some will love it for reasons. Everyone should be able to participate in it regardless, because everyone eats.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,110 Member
    Winterfest has the Grand Meal attached as well (and rightly so). When I was a kid we used to have turkey dinners at Easter so that's another use for the tradition. It's silly that sims below the YA stage aren't into it.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,892 Member
    What I don't understand is why a teenager ignores the Grand meal because he is MEAN. Do mean people not eat? Can't they enjoy a good meal? It makes absolutely no sense. The child in the same household ignores the meal because she is a CHILD, not because she is EVIL, which I consider to be a step up from mean. Again, makes no sense. They both also love the food when they eat it. Its not like they think it is gross in any way. How come a vampire doesn't ignore the Grand Meal tradition? Because they actually don't NEED to eat, why would this be a tradition they need to participate in? I really don't understand EAxis's reasoning behind this at all.

I remember my sisters and I used to LOVE having christmas dinner, because it was something special, that we didn't have very often. Yes, of course we were impatient, but that had nothing to do with the food. More with the presents we knew were waiting for us after dinner (we celebrate and exchange presents christmas eve). There are traditionally not many such occasions in our country. We have christmas, new years and easter, and that's basically it. There is usually no special grand meal associated with easter, even.