Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Another patch, another bug

LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
I am getting REALLY angry now.

Every time it updates or does some patches, Origin has to be completely removed from my computer and reinstalled.

Except it won't remove, and it won't reinstall, and then it won't update4, because I have to restart my computer in Boot Mode to do any of that. And yes, I am the sole user of this computer and no there is no CC. Just error 9.0

WHY IS THIS ACCEPTABLE?! Is EA specifically sitting there, watching people having difficulty installing THE SOFTWARE THAT RUNS THEIR GAMES?! Workarounds? I shouldn't have to spend over an hour with a workaround to play a game I've already payed for!

If EA doesn't fix Origin toot sweet I swear I'm gonna... I'm gonna... Well, I don't know what I'll do but the censor will have a field day.
Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.

Comments

• Options
    Samcharles74Samcharles74 Posts: 257 Member
    The reason may be because it's either only happening to your or only certain users. I've updated Origin many times without having to do what you described. This isn't to say there is no bug because obviously it's happening to you. The bug may just be difficult to identify the cause of.

What do you mean by you have to restart your computer in Boot Mode to update, remove or reinstall? Do you mean safe mode?
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
  • Options
    When I try to uninstall Origin right now, it says it can't find the uninstall file. When I try to reinstall, it comes up with Error 9.0. I can't open it, so I can't play my games. I've tried turning off my Firewall.

When I exit the installer (after it fails) the error message comes up "Can't find this file" just before it shuts down.

This happens every time on my computer.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    It sounds like a file or files from Origin are not being removed when you uninstall it.
    Find the location of the Origin program folder and make note of where it is. Uninstall Origin like you have been. Before reinstalling it find that folder where the Origin folder was. If there is anything still there from the Origin program folder manually delete it. Then try reinstalling Origin and see if it installs without any errors. I can't guarantee this will solve the issue, just something to try.
    If you have trouble finding the Origin program folder let me know and I will find the location tonight on my home computer.
  • Options
    I successfully installed Origin.

Then I uninstalled it to try and make sure for a full uninstall.

And now it's right back to not being able to install it again. Plus, the Origin folder in Windows never fully uninstalls. It has Origin.exe, OriginUninstall.exe and OriginClientservice.exe - none of which work. And I can't delete them, even though I am the Administrator.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    *groans*

Once again, after torturous rebooting, it manages to install, but I don't know what it is that's conflicting. All I know is that it didn't used to do this, and now it does. And it'll do it next time.

I bet this is why EA gives away free games. A free game for every bug!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I know it's not your fault, Rosemow. It's just so frustrating that it does this EVERY TIME.

Perhaps a free Sims 3 EP or two would make up for it? ;)
  • Options
    SimQARoboSimQARobo Posts: 248 SimQA
    Hello @Loanet

Have you tried contacting EA Support:
    https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/
    If I don't actively respond here, I'm sorry. I can get a bit busy over at https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Loanet wrote: »
    I successfully installed Origin.

Then I uninstalled it to try and make sure for a full uninstall.

And now it's right back to not being able to install it again. Plus, the Origin folder in Windows never fully uninstalls. It has Origin.exe, OriginUninstall.exe and OriginClientservice.exe - none of which work. And I can't delete them, even though I am the Administrator.

Okay, those files probably were not able to be replaced with the most current versions at some point. It probably happened during one of the origin updates. These files not being removed are likely the cause of your issues. We need to be able to remove them.
    Open up your task manager, (if you don't know how press these keys together, ctrl, alt and del), click on task manager. Make sure you click on show processes from all users if you are running Windows 7. If you are running Windows 10 click on more details to see all the things running. Look in that list for something called OriginClientService. If you see it the process is probably not stopping during the uninstall. This will prevent those files you mentioned from being removed. If this is the case here is what to do: uninstall Origin, open up the task manager and find OriginClientService in the list. Highlight it and click end task. Wait a moment then check the list to see if the process shows up again in the list. If it came back let me know and I will tell you another way to get rid of the files. If the process did not come back delete the Origin folder. Try to reinstall Origin only if you were able to get delete the Origin folder. If not reply here and I will help you get rid of those files.

Edit: You will probably have to also find Origin and OriginUninstall in the task manager and stop them as well. That should allow you to delete them once they are stopped.
    Post edited by Samcharles74 on
  • Options
    klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    Is Origin just refusing to open for you, or are you seeing a pop-up message every time you try to launch it?

Recently, I've been having an issue where every time I try to launch Origin, it says it needs internet connection for install. Problem is, it is installed, it is connected to internet, and it was working properly the night or even hours before. Another time, a pop-up window said "Invalid Licence. Reason Code=Invalid Cipher" when trying to launch TS4, and after trying to follow the instructions online to clear the cache and getting super confused, I just restarted my computer to see if that'd fix it. I haven't had the invalid licence pop-up recently, but restarting my computer fixes the internet connection pop-up and Origin launches properly upon reboot. Is this the problem you're having now that you've uninstalled and reinstalled it? It shouldn't be doing this at all and you shouldn't have to restart the computer every time to fix it, but that's the solution I've found.

I can imagine how frustrating this is for you. I hope you'll find a solution! :smile:
  • Options
    TMcAuley91TMcAuley91 Posts: 13 New Member
    I had this same issue
    There is a file that hasn't uninstalled
    It's in the c\programfiles(--x)\origin
    The - will be numbers but different depending on machine
    Once I (my fiancé I'm useless at this stuff) deleted that file I was able to reinstall origin without issue and patch the game.
    Also make sure that the task manager doesn't have any origin items open.

Hope this helps you I was extremely frustrated with it and the EA help desk were pointless telling us to delete stuff that wasn't there then said it was a windows issue speak to Microsoft. It wasn't it's working fine now.
  • Options
    @Samcharles74 my Origin has installed now, but it happened BEFORE I tried your advice (after another clean boot).

It could be (?) the clean-boot that stops those files from running again which means that the issue is with Origin, and Windows is solving it (for once). But that means that it will happen again next update since I've deleted nothing, so, see y'all next Origin Patch, huh?

It must have been a previous patch that inserted this problem, and I've seen a lot of people complaining about 'Error 9.0'. It's not actually, technically, up to the Sims crew to fix it - it would be like telling the people who made South Park: The Stick Of Truth that Steam isn't working. But EA should do something.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I'm glad you got Origin installed and working.
    If I were you I would open a ticket with EA here: help.ea.com/en/contact-us/?product=origin
    I think Origin is more vital to the Sims4 than a Steam game is to Steam because you can't play the Sims4 if Origin isn't working. So EA definitely should fix your issue.
    The issue your having is basically this; when Origin updates it closes itself and all the running files it needs to update. Your isn't closing some of the files which results in those files not being able to be updated. When you restart your computer those files are forced to close allowing you to reinstall Origin.

I hope you get your issue resolved. If you need more help feel free to post here or send me a message.
  • Options
    LouciferLoucifer Posts: 199 Member
    > @Loanet said:
    > I successfully installed Origin.
    >
    > Then I uninstalled it to try and make sure for a full uninstall.
    >
    > And now it's right back to not being able to install it again. Plus, the Origin folder in Windows never fully uninstalls. It has Origin.exe, OriginUninstall.exe and OriginClientservice.exe - none of which work. And I can't delete them, even though I am the Administrator.

U might want to run a virus scan before any thing else If u don't have one try IObit cheap works great has built in cleaner that won't delete flash as malware like cc cleaner
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd US President)
  • Options
    MY PSYCHIC POWERS OF PSYCHICNESS ARE SUCCESSFUL.

It happened again.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    Have you done a clean reinstall (manual) of Origin yet ? Clean registry and delete all files ?

Here's instructions: https://help.ea.com/en-za/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    crinrict wrote: »
    Have you done a clean reinstall (manual) of Origin yet ? Clean registry and delete all files ?

Here's instructions: https://help.ea.com/en-za/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

I have tried uninstalling Origin in a number of ways, ranging from the WIndows App Uninstaller to going into the uninstaller in Origin. It never does the whole job. And it has trouble recognising me as the Administrator of Windows, meaning there are certain files I can't delete. Oh, and @SamCharles74, those programs you suggested were not running in Task Manager.

Thanks for your help but it looks like Clean Boot is more of a friend than Origin or EA. I don't blame any of you.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    Did you try making a new administrator account ? Is your Windows all updated ?
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Loanet wrote: »
    crinrict wrote: »

I have tried uninstalling Origin in a number of ways, ranging from the WIndows App Uninstaller to going into the uninstaller in Origin. It never does the whole job. And it has trouble recognising me as the Administrator of Windows, meaning there are certain files I can't delete. Oh, and @SamCharles74, those programs you suggested were not running in Task Manager.

Thanks for your help but it looks like Clean Boot is more of a friend than Origin or EA. I don't blame any of you.
    I think Crinrict has a good idea. I would say try using the Windows Administrator account to uninstall it. You may have to enable it first. If you do chose this route and the account is disabled be sure to disable it when you are done.