The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Building Feedback

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to gain some building skills on TS4 and I am looking for some feedback on my most recent build.
I welcome all feedback both positive and constructive.

I am not sure how to add images on here so I have a link to the gallery instead. Please let me know what you all think if you have a second to check it out :)

https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/299EC940019811E78C68D17DD91519F7?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=AntoniaBaybee&max=50&maxis=false
Antonia Louise <3

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,712 Member
    edited March 2017
    Family Home looks very nice! :) The windows look nice how they are placed in the build. The outdoors areas look great! Very nice backyard area for sims to have fun playing on the pirate ship or on the slippery water slide. The pool and hot tub patio is very nice. Sims will enjoy resting in the tub or have fun swimming in the pool. Nice corner bar nook for sims to enjoy sitting on the stools having a drink in the sunshine. Very nice layout of the interior of the home! The island stove and bar stool counter in the kitchen looks very nice! The pink colour scheme of the girls bedroom looks very pretty! It is very nice that there is a room where sims can enjoy quietly meditating on the stool or doing yoga on the mat or enjoy keeping fit using the fitness equipment.
    The home is very nice for a family of sims ! :)
  • Options
    AntoniaBaybeeAntoniaBaybee Posts: 160 Member
    Thanks @rosemow

I've been taking on comments from my last build and tried to incorporate them into this one. I always find myself building on Arid Ridge, not sure why but I feel comfortable building there. The window thing was done by setting the windows by room (I never noticed this feature before)

I'm a happy simmer :)
    Antonia Louise <3
  • Options
    sebz242sebz242 Posts: 15 Member
    Looks very plain. Nice ideas, but put more work into the architecture more corners and walls. You'll get there.
  • Options
    Irkie500Irkie500 Posts: 5 New Member
    If you are still looking for feedback I have a couple points:

-The kitchen island should be flipped around to have the stove on the inside, not the outside. Having to walk around the island each time to the stove is a waste of movement, plus you could then put seats on the other side!
    -I would rejig the layout of the family room so you can accommodate a door going from the kitchen into the family room for better flow.
    -The downstairs bathroom could be shrunk quite a bit and just include a toilet and sink, or if you need to accommodate the larger family's keep the shower too.
    -The upstairs bathroom and fitness room I feel like should be swapped so its easier to get to for all three rooms. The far bedroom has to walk all the way down the hall, while there is another that is right next to it.
    -Some wall decorations! This is one thing I need to add more of myself since I usually play walls down, but it adds so much to the feeling of being "lived in".

I hope I wasn't to hard on you, building is something that is really really tough to do well. My biggest piece of advice though would be to work just one room at a time instead of bouncing all over. I feel like it allows me to really flesh out the details and stay with my design theme.

Keep it up!
  • Options
    aiexaiex Posts: 103 Member
    It's a very cute home, but I do have some pointers! I think houses tend to look their best when they have little to no long, flat walls! I hope I'm explaining that okay, but if you added a little side room I think that would make your house look less plain! Also, using multiple wall colors for your home will help to make it more vibrant, and realistic. Landscaping really does help, too! With a few flowers and shrubs, your house will really come to life! And, I know it's difficult because I always do it, try using different windows! It will give the home a little more variety! Other than that, I think your house is fantastic! Great work!
  • Options
    Thank you @Irkie500 and @aiex! I just seen these comments as I have not had access to the internet for a bit! It was torture haha!

I will take on board your comments and keep building and sharing. I have used my no internet time to really plan out houses and floor plans. I have recently started landscaping in my other builds. I think it does add character.

My decorating is very plain, I must admit. I just like everything to match to a certain extent and I model the decor on the homes in my street. Most homes in my area all have the same kind of neutral colouring going on except for that one home at the end of the street with multicoloured walls!
    Antonia Louise <3
  • Options
    iTamcakesiTamcakes Posts: 57 Member
    If I can still give feedback:

I agree with adding a side room or extensions to the house, it'll give it more depth. If your house exists of multiple overlapping buildings, (and different heights) forming a house together you'll also be able to add more interesting roofs, different wall materials etc.

I looked at your catalogue in the gallery. I personally like your "Dusty Turf" house more. Not every part of the building ends on the same level, so you've created more depth. If you were to extend the back part (the one without the flat roof) one square to the right, you'd break up the long wall as well.

Now that you've got your internet back (yay), you could also look up some real house plans and use them as a guideline/inspiration for a building. That really helped me out. I also like looking at other people's creations (on youtube or the gallery) for inspiration.

I do very much like your houses, but I think you can create even more beautiful things with the feedback you got here. I look forward to see more of your creations in the future :smile:.
    Es7pflm.png
  • Options
    Thanks @iTamcakes! It's awesome to hear everyone's thoughts, I welcome both good and bad - I really want to improve. My long weekend will be spent building, I can't wait
    Antonia Louise <3
  • Options
    wendelynewendelyne Posts: 212 Member
    The way I learned to build was copying so I would suggest looking at house magazines or on the internet and copy them (it also gives you ideas). I would also suggest trying to make the houses smaller because you have a lot of space on the inside.
  • Options
    KianaisloveKianaislove Posts: 126 Member
    Lots of speed builds & a giveaway on my channel https://youtu.be/oy-Ran0Ai6s
  • Options
    kaizer_bbakaizer_bba Posts: 25 New Member
    It's cute and has a nice homely feel. I like your use of windows on several of your builds~

I would suggest not using a square as the base of a large house especially if you want to use a gabled roof. It makes the roof look unnecessarily tall and if you lower the height, it would look awkwardly flat. I like the shape of your Dusty Turf and Arid Ridge builds a bit more. I suggest using house extensions for large builds since it would give you more choices for being creative in your roofing.

The rooms also seem to be too big. I suggest dividing them some more into smaller rooms or filling up the empty space with decorations and clutter. Clutter can also give the house a lived-in feel instead of something out of a magazine.

Landscaping and terrain paint can also help beautify the outside of the lot.