Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I get the message!

Ok I love the sims and have been visiting this forum for inspiration and ideas. However I found it quite funny that when I visit other websites I see that all the google ads are 'The Sims 4 Dine Out'. Yes I have already bought Dine Out, the minute it came out...lol. The last site I visited had 4 ads all The Sims 4 Dine Out! Ok I get the message!

Comments

• Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I know what you mean. There's a name for it but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called but your browser shows Advertisements geared towards something they think interest you in this case it's the Sims since it's something you show an interest in. I get the same ADs on random websites that I visit.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    HeyItsTashieeHeyItsTashiee Posts: 172 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    I know what you mean. There's a name for it but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called but your browser shows Advertisements geared towards something they think interest you in this case it's the Sims since it's something you show an interest in. I get the same ADs on random websites that I visit.

Yeah it is annoying, you especially have to be careful around xmas time when buying gifts online!! That is unless nobody shares your computer.
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    Mulder123 wrote: »
    Ok I love the sims and have been visiting this forum for inspiration and ideas. However I found it quite funny that when I visit other websites I see that all the google ads are 'The Sims 4 Dine Out'. Yes I have already bought Dine Out, the minute it came out...lol. The last site I visited had 4 ads all The Sims 4 Dine Out! Ok I get the message!

Wow, this is clear evidence of EA's mastery of marketing, consumer psychology, and product publishing! No wonder The Sims is successful everywhere despite random and entirely insignificant negative personal reviews from 'youtubers'.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    Mulder123Mulder123 Posts: 68 Member
    It might be better if they advertise to random people rather than people that have already bought the game.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Adblocker is your friend. :wink:
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    It might be better if they advertise to random people rather than people that have already bought the game.

It's intended to associate like products with your selection history by meta data however, depending on variety and accuracy of the algorithm(s), redundancy or lack of results can become a problem.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2016
    Most of my ads are Russian brides, health miracles and get rich quick schemes. I do use ixquick though, so that probably de-personalises the ads.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    You think that is bad then you try loading TS3 and seeing adds for TS4 as soon as you reach the main menu.

I mean those who play TS3 sometimes either play TS4 as well or are not interested in TS4!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Try clearing your cookies :smile:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited June 2016
    Are you using mods?

EDIT: Joking
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited June 2016

Wow, this is clear evidence of EA's mastery of marketing, consumer psychology, and product publishing! No wonder The Sims is successful everywhere despite random and entirely insignificant negative personal reviews from 'youtubers'.

Not all of the YouTubers are negative though and I would say the ones who are probably have good reason to be because if you're trying to make a living off YouTube you really don't want to carelessly bite the hand that may be feeding you. TheSimSupply regularly posts TS4 videos and he always seems to genuinely enjoy the game and LGR is still pretty much my go-to "review" channel for things related to The Sims. I don't always agree with him, but he comes across as being as unbiased as he can be.
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I recently bought new tyres for my car. I researched prices beforehand, so now I see tyre advertisements everywhere, tyres, tyres and more tyres. :#
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    SkewedReality04SkewedReality04 Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited June 2016
    The same thing happens to me, and they wonder why people start using ad blockers on their phones and iPads. I know these sites have to make money too, but now they've become so obnoxious about it that I don't feel guilty at all for blocking their ads, especially the ones where they follow recent sites I've visited.
    Post edited by SkewedReality04 on
  • Options
    Mulder123Mulder123 Posts: 68 Member
    Well I do not mind ads because I know it supports websites. I do not mind to support the Sims. Just find it a fault of Google to show 4 ads on the same page of the same thing. They should vary it more because it may not be good for the company/person paying for the ads. However I'm not totally sure but it might be that their system works, tailoring ads to the people individually. Maybe I should not knock it. It would certainly stand out to someone if they were seeing the same ads on the whole page. It is then in your face and unavoidable. They obviously do it for a reason.

It is however still amusing to me to go to a website and be bombarded with ads of the same image. Well at least if makes me think to play the Sims!
  • Options
    HennriettaHennrietta Posts: 212 Member
    No kidding eh! Adblock is my best friend :)