May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I just download CC?

I have always avoided custom content - objects, CAS, etc. (Some small mods here and there, but avoided most CC content.)

I was always warned to avoid it because it can cause issues with the game and slow things down, get unflattering clipping issues, etc. (And the quality isn't always...nice.)

In The Sims 3, I found no need for it. Beyond Create-a-Style capabilities, we had so many options as EA/The Sims was releasing so much content EACH MONTH for Create a Sim through the Sim Store that can expand the play world with new bold and creative themes to dive into (themes from all over the world, different time periods, unique subcultures, futuristic, etc.).

The Sims 4 seems completely disinterested in that and seems to be instead focused on granular updates staying in the same world/time period/culture that the base game began with. That's...fine, I guess, but it's worn thin for me personally. Should I just start downloading CC? Or alternatives?

I'd love to do play throughs that take place in more unique settings than the bland modernly-set suburbs we're given. Has anyone found a way to do this without CC?
Or with CC - any suggestions? Feel free to share links to things in gallery or elsewhere! Or post story ideas! I'm in need of some inspiration and struggling to find it with what the game offers currently. (And yes I have all expansions, game packs, stuff packs, etc.)

Comments

• Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited May 2016
    I've never had any issues with CC. I can hardly imagine playing my game without it. For some reason, clothing and hair in The Sims is often pretty bad/not stylish.

Clipping can be an issue but that depends. Most creators will tell you if the hair/clothes in question has clipping issues, most of the time they don't. In fact, most CC hair is just edits of EA meshes that look better than the original.. IMO.

I get most of my stuff from Tumblr.
  • Options
    sekojranasekojrana Posts: 107 Member
    I dont think i could play the game without cc, honestly, and I've never had any problems in my game cos of it. I hate clipping too,so if something clips weirdly I just take it out, easy enough. It makes the game so much more customizable for me, plus there's cc for almost everything, from cas to building to decor.

As for unique settings, have you ever seen Nenpy's tumblr? Its scifi/fantasy themed, but she has the world so customized, you can hardly tell its a sims game. So its definitely possible to customize your settings with a little imagination! :)
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Check this thread out, @Bananas_45 is *amazing* at finding cc people have asked for.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/861742/anyone-have-any-wcif-requests#latest

And sims4studios Creator Studios is another "off the beaten path" place to find really cool stuff, IMO.

I use a LOT more mods than cc, so I'm not the best to ask, which is why I'm referring you to people more in the know, there. Hope it helps!
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    There are certain things I insist on CC for like wallpapers and floors. I just cannot tolerate the stuff we get because there is never enough and the floors are never exactly what I want. I like TSR best, I've only had one issue with bad cc from there and that was with Sims 3. I've calmed down on cc this time out however, don't quite like a lot of what I see to be honest.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,360 Member
    edited May 2016
    Go for the cc, but carefully and only from reliable sites. I'd say start with MTS, maybe post in the "Where can I find" section there.
    Loading time increase can become an issue when you have too much cc, but even so - just take the excess files out again and you'll be fine. It is much more complicated in Sims 2, where you have to keep in mind never to delete anything that moves or generates a memory (jobs, foods).

If you are interested in adapting your Sims 4 game to different time frames, try this ressource site http://historychallengecc.tumblr.com/
    You may want to check out that challenge for inspiration, it's right here on this board in the challenges section.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    From SimGuruEugi.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14820190/#Comment_14820190

CC alone does not affect the save size. Usually, the main driving factor is the number of Sims (and consequently, the number of relationships between Sims).

Anyway if you had to pick one type of CC to get, I'd go with 3D eyelashes. You can find them from this site. http://kijiko-catfood.com/tag/3d-lashes/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    sekojranasekojrana Posts: 107 Member
    Also, sssvitlans.tumblr.com has all cc listed in neat little tags, so if you're for specific themes/styles its super easy to browse through
  • Options
    Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    I find the links for Maxis Match CC in this thread to be really useful:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/815146/maxis-style-cc-list/p1
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,663 Member
    edited May 2016
    Scobre wrote: »
    From SimGuruEugi.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14820190/#Comment_14820190

CC alone does not affect the save size. Usually, the main driving factor is the number of Sims (and consequently, the number of relationships between Sims).

Anyway if you had to pick one type of CC to get, I'd go with 3D eyelashes. You can find them from this site. http://kijiko-catfood.com/tag/3d-lashes/

His eyelashes are the best. I love how they're not painted on like some of the others.

Edit: I never really addressed the OP. I'm not one for changing the time period so I don't have any ideas for that, but simply downloading some new clothing or hairs really spices up my game for me. Also, Peacemaker has some wonderful furniture collections that I find myself using constantly in all of my saves. I honestly think he has some of the highest quality CC, but it does reflect in the file sizes. ;)
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

His eyelashes are the best. I love how they're not painted on like some of the others.

Edit: I never really addressed the OP. I'm not one for changing the time period so I don't have any ideas for that, but simply downloading some new clothing or hairs really spices up my game for me. Also, Peacemaker has some wonderful furniture collections that I find myself using constantly in all of my saves. I honestly think he has some of the highest quality CC, but it does reflect in the file sizes. ;)
    Yeah they are. Oh never heard of Peacemaker's CC. I'll have to check that site out.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    edited May 2016
    Ideas without CC:

I don't have romantic gardens SP yet, but someone mentioned creating a Shakespearean (I think Romeo and Juliet) type of thing using that pack in Windenburg.
    Also, I'm recreating Strangetown. With all the aliens.
    There's a boho movie night pack. Maybe you can make a 1960s type of world?

Sims 4 has a variety of skins, so I guess it's just the clothes and objects that you are looking for. So if you want to limit your CC, you can probably skip eyelashes and body hair. (although I personally love the body hair mod).

Good Luck!
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
  • Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    Go for it
  • Options
    Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Yeah they are. Oh never heard of Peacemaker's CC. I'll have to check that site out.

Must have link to Peacey's stuff:
    http://peacemaker-ic.tumblr.com/TOU

I have so many folders stuffed with things from his website! Hair, clothing, skins, objects, walls, his rug collection is crazy good! I worship him! Lol!