Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions about Rotational Play

Greetings fellow Simmers,

I am currently playing only one family, but they have two children. Once they grow up, I plan on moving one of the children out of the house and switching between the two households. HOWEVER, while browsing the forums last night I came across some horror stories of "abandoned" families being completely reworked when the player returns to continue their side of the story; Parents having secret lovers, adults and teens having new jobs or no jobs, everyone aging up, new kids with different parents, and one poor player had an entirely different family living in the home upon his return.

Needless to say, after reading these complaints, I am hesitant to play the game the way I want to play it. I am one of those players who loves creating my Sims' life-stories and feel cheated when the game decides the actors are going to improvise. Still, if experience has taught me anything it is Simmers will always find ways around these problems. So, here are my questions;

1.) How do you prevent your "abandoned" family from aging while you play another family?

2.) How likely is it that the dynamic of my "abandoned" family will completely change while I am gone? i.e. new lovers, broken marriages, lost jobs, etc.

3.) How likely or unlikely is it that the game will cull my "abandoned" family while I am playing another family?

4.) What are some of your best practices for rotational play?

5.) What mods are available to reduce Sim culling, secret lover acquisitions, and sudden job changes?

Thanks for the help!

~~ Alorxico

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    1. You can set aging of Played Sims to active household only. Check your Game Options :)
    2. Unless you use the MC Command Center mod, they won't change within the family. They will often lose lower-level relationships (you can stop that with a mod - MCCC or Neia's No Relationship Culling) and they will often gain new relationships: lovebirds, friends, and dislikes (you can nuke those with MCCC or UI Cheats Extension)
    3. Played Sims don't get culled. (Unless you have a bug of some kind, but the culling of played Sims has been extremely rarely reported.)
    4. Some people rotate on a schedule - once a week, etc. I try to rotate when no Sims in the family I'm going to should be in school or at work: they end up with poor work/school otherwise.
    5. For Sim culling, MCCC. It also covers relationship culling. For the acquisitions, you can remove them with MCCC or reduce the relationships with UI Cheats Extension. You won't get sudden job changes.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    The MC Command Center mod will fix that. You can set it to bypass active households. You don't even to have to actually play the household for it to bypass that family. All you have to do is load it up.

modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I play with aging off, for one reason I don't want them aging up without me, and because Life spans are so short, I feel like, why rush, and just age them up when I'm ready, and I can plan their birthdays and stuff.

When I rotate between houses Its because I want to play from different perspectives. because all my households interact with my other households, so I can still make sure relationships and jobs remain intact.
    the only thing that could happen is, new relationships friendly/possibly romantic. if your sim is pregnant they will have the baby without you, and the game will randomize it's name, and gender.
    but they'll maintain where they're are during/job and school they won't make progress or lose progress.
    Only households you've never played get random jobs.

As far as I'm aware, the game only culls, unplayed households and townies. sims you don't interact with too much or at all.

Like I said, Interacting with my other families
    Son in Family A is Best Friends with Son in Family B
    Son in Family A is Boyfriend to Daughter in family C
    Daughter in Family C is Best friends with Daughter in family D
    Son in Family E if enemies with son in family A
    Son in family E is Boyfriend to Daughter in Family D

and with Get Together, I can relax a little more with the Club system.
    I love being able ask them to change into a certain outfit when i want, and Now they actually stay together and because of group likes, they sort of act how I want them to, and how I would control them. which is kind of scary sometimes.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    edited April 2016
    In my experience, as long as you play with all your sims, you don't have to worry about culling. However, you do have to worry about "relationship culling." That's when your sim forgets his family members or friends. There is a simple mod I use to fix it, in mod the sims. http://modthesims.info/d/568880

I love rotational play. I probably play about 2 or 3 different homes a night. I turn aging off. And try to have fun soap opera stories for them. Also, I try to recreate my favorite sims from past games.
    Post edited by imhappy on
  • Options
    StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    Just play the "other'' house once in a while. Go back once a week or every couple of days...if you don't want the unplayed Sims to age turn off the aging process. I usually play 6-7 lots rotationally and a few only once a week. I don't use mods except I like Risky Woohoo. I have never had any of the problems you mentioned, the only problem I had was one Sim owned a business and the business quit working, but that was after the Challenge was downloaded. But turning off the aging in the other households will change the dynamics in the family aging. I find if you go into the different households you don't ''feel like a strange''.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    Treese3Treese3 Posts: 21 Member
    I tried the rotational play this last week, I had the aging off and when I went back to my main house the mom and dad of my YA were gone and showed up as ghost in her relationship. I don't know where they passed at there were no urns or tombstones on the lot.
  • Options
    Treese3 wrote: »
    I tried the rotational play this last week, I had the aging off and when I went back to my main house the mom and dad of my YA were gone and showed up as ghost in her relationship. I don't know where they passed at there were no urns or tombstones on the lot.

Did you have both aging settings right? There are two: one aging setting for overall, one for played Sims who aren't your active household.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Treese3Treese3 Posts: 21 Member
    I will have to check that out and see, I thought I did but maybe that is it. I did just download the MC Command Center yesterday to try to manage this stuff.
  • Options
    vintagesaturdayvintagesaturday Posts: 258 Member
    I play rotationally as well. I turned off aging on non-active households, but the other played households kept aging without me. I would recommend turning aging off entirely if you're switching between households.

The relationships are culled 100% whenever I switch families it seems, they forget all their friends, even best friends or ones in the same club. But they are not culled as in removed from game they just forget everyone. I really like building up families for interaction - kid A best friends with kid B who is dating kid C who is twins with kid D and stuff. That can get a little difficult when relationships are forgotten but it doesn't take that long to build back up I suppose so not a huge deal breaker.

The careers and all that have remained the same even when switching with no progress gained/lost while I'm playing elsewhere.

Like previously said though a pregnant sim will give birth and then be auto-named.

Other than the relationship issue (which gets pretty annoying) I'm able to play multiple families.
    Gallery : VintageSaturday // Simblr : S.E. Sims
    ltx83WK.png
  • Options
    AlorxicoAlorxico Posts: 360 Member
    Quick question about turning aging off. How do you get your Sims to actually move up in life stages? Do you choose when they have their birthday or do you eventually turn aging back on for a short period of time?
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Alorxico wrote: »
    Quick question about turning aging off. How do you get your Sims to actually move up in life stages? Do you choose when they have their birthday or do you eventually turn aging back on for a short period of time?
    You can make a cake and add birthday candles to it, then you have the sim you want to age up blow out the candles.
    Also the cakes are "reusable" as long as no one's taken a slice. So if you're aging up multiple sims you can use the same cake by just adding candles.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    DiamondsR4everDiamondsR4ever Posts: 243 Member
    I have mc commander for the culling part. I turn aging off in households not played . And I rotate families every Friday(Sim friday) so everyone is on the same time.
    The ignore feature is a blessing :D . Don't be afraid to use it!
  • Options
    StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited April 2016
    I play with aging on. When I go back to other familys b4 I leave to another household I check how many days b4 they age and thats how I know when to go back. That way I can do parties, give them traits I want and advance them to where I want them. I do not use MC, this is how I have always played since TS2.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    I use aging on for active household only, and I have never had any of my sims age up while rotated away (unless you accept a birthday invitation - don't do that unless you want them to age up). I play 36 households now, 1 game day each, then rotate (except I play 3 extra days, when a sim is pregnant, then skip them the next 3 rounds).

-The changing jobs was a bug that was fixed, so I wouldn't worry about that (MC can fix that for you too, if it reappears).
    -I use MC to stop both types of culling.
    -I used to ignore the extra romantic relationships that are formed, but have been using MC to fix relationships, that are caused by sauna woohoo being a friendly interaction in club settings. Since that one causes sims to form romantic relationships that ignores age, gender preference and family relationship, that one is too messed up for me to accept. That bug, has an easier fix, but MC is a workaround until I remember to change settings when playing the club leaders.
  • Options
    TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    I am one of those crazy masochists who play rotational without any mods, not even MC Command Center. If you don't want any relationship culling or spawning, I recommend you try the mods suggested by others in this thread. But relationships that have reached friend-level plus household members and family are not supposed to get culled, and they never are in my game. So I always plan my switching of households carefully, I make sure they achieve friendship level with the acquaintances I want them to stay in contact with when I get back.

I rotate between three households and have aging set to long. Sometimes I turn aging off to avoid missing a birthday or a death (if a sim dies when you're not on the lot, there won't be a gravestone/urn). The game will sometimes make new romantic interests, friends or enemies for my sims while I'm away, and I either ignore them or play along. The most annoying thing about it for me is that a new romantic interest will sometimes call to ask for a date, but it's not a problem to just ignore the call. I like an element of randomness in the game, but I understand that others want to avoid it.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I am one of those crazy masochists who play rotational without any mods, not even MC Command Center. If you don't want any relationship culling or spawning, I recommend you try the mods suggested by others in this thread. But relationships that have reached friend-level plus household members and family are not supposed to get culled, and they never are in my game. So I always plan my switching of households carefully, I make sure they achieve friendship level with the acquaintances I want them to stay in contact with when I get back.

I rotate between three households and have aging set to long. Sometimes I turn aging off to avoid missing a birthday or a death (if a sim dies when you're not on the lot, there won't be a gravestone/urn). The game will sometimes make new romantic interests, friends or enemies for my sims while I'm away, and I either ignore them or play along. The most annoying thing about it for me is that a new romantic interest will sometimes call to ask for a date, but it's not a problem to just ignore the call. I like an element of randomness in the game, but I understand that others want to avoid it.

Friendship level keeps relationships from culling? I must keep this in mind because I honestly don't want to use mods. I play in rotation among many households. I will give this a try.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

Friendship level keeps relationships from culling? I must keep this in mind because I honestly don't want to use mods. I play in rotation among many households. I will give this a try.

Watch out for the relationship decay though ! If you have too much households in your rotation, some may have decayed into the no-longer friends level before you go back to them. They have reduced (halved to be precise) the relationship decay when they introduced the relationship culling, perhaps to diminish that. It depends on how you play too, if your households are keeping in touch, and there's a lot of club meetings while you're away, those would probably counterbalance the decay too.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Thank you, Neia. :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited April 2016
    Greetings fellow Simmers,

I am currently playing only one family, but they have two children. Once they grow up, I plan on moving one of the children out of the house and switching between the two households. HOWEVER, while browsing the forums last night I came across some horror stories of "abandoned" families being completely reworked when the player returns to continue their side of the story; Parents having secret lovers, adults and teens having new jobs or no jobs, everyone aging up, new kids with different parents, and one poor player had an entirely different family living in the home upon his return.

Needless to say, after reading these complaints, I am hesitant to play the game the way I want to play it. I am one of those players who loves creating my Sims' life-stories and feel cheated when the game decides the actors are going to improvise. Still, if experience has taught me anything it is Simmers will always find ways around these problems. So, here are my questions;

1.) How do you prevent your "abandoned" family from aging while you play another family?
    by playing with aging turned completely off
    the rotational game works then similiar to TS2
    every important part of life of sims is made by me

2.) How likely is it that the dynamic of my "abandoned" family will completely change while I am gone? i.e. new lovers, broken marriages, lost jobs, etc.
    you have to play them at least once
    & you will have to correct their life
    there are several cheats which you can use to do so, like eg correcting the lovebirds relationships to zero again, if you wish so, assigning them jobs you want them to do, also correcting by cheats skill levels the sims may experience spawned by the game randomly
    usually the game doesn't change much of a played sim, but unplayed sims experience often radical changes

3.) How likely or unlikely is it that the game will cull my "abandoned" family while I am playing another family?
    depends on the lenght of time you play
    the longer you play the more sims will the game accumulate & it can happen that the game will remove your sims, even the played ones at some point
    you should remove unwanted unplayed sims by hand out of the manage households screen regularly to keep at least that number of sims down

but i think there is a problem with ghosts also, ghosts where their graves are nowhere to be found
    i have currently no ghosts in my game, it's probably because i play it with aging off
    my sims die, when i say it's their time to die, currently no sim is dead in my game :trollface:

4.) What are some of your best practices for rotational play?
    do it all by your own hand
    don't count on the help of progression by the game, there is none
    the game will play its own game, while you are trying to play yours

5.) What mods are available to reduce Sim culling, secret lover acquisitions, and sudden job changes?
    i simply REFUSE to repeat again, after i am doing it still with TS3, to be compelled to direct the game heavily in its basic gameplay by "mods"
    & therefore i refuse to use the MCCC

& that's probably the reason why i am way more discriminating why TS4 is lacking as a game in whole
    i don't excuse TS4's devs in their sloppiness by correcting it with a mod ... again
    a mod is for me a modification, a change of the actually included content not a fix to everything broken

i fix all the broken stuff by hand with the help of cheats to remind me how broken this game actually is

the birthday cake works only starting from child
    you have to age babies without any birthday, unfortunately :confused:
    you can pretend to give a birthday party though :tongue:

@Tomatplante
    you're not the only one
    though i am not playing completely mod free, because some mods are actual mods, which just expand the gameplay to where the devs thought it's not necessary like the Part Time Jobs For All by plasticbox :smile:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    TuiamaiTuiamai Posts: 49 Member
    I play rotationally without mods, too, and don’t have any difficulties. No negative side effects like culling. I have ten households so far, aging is on for active household only. Random romantic relationships exist, but I don’t care.
  • Options
    monkeypants1monkeypants1 Posts: 320 Member
    I play rotationally and I haven't had any problem with relationship culling although I do notice that if I'm gone for a long time that some of the friendships do decay a bit. I've never had anyone drop or switch careers (which they did all the time in Sims 3 if you tried to rotate). The random romance bumps happen, but it's usually a small bump, so I either ignore it or roll with it, depending on my mood. I've also noticed that sometimes my sims will make random enemies and have relationships with other sims in the red when I return. That doesn't really bother me though. I kind of like the randomness it adds to the game. It keeps it fresh.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited April 2016
    I rotate through 36 families and consider one rotation to be equivalent to a year, so I'm playing three families each "month" in the game. Right now, for example, it's September in my game. I play each family for about 3 sim days before moving on. Basically I keep "aging on" for my active households only, but if there are babies in the house, I usually turn it off since I don't want them "aging up" to children until they should logically be 6 years old (6 rotations) and ready to start school.

I keep track of the ages for all my sims, and I manually age them up at the appropriate times. I don't turn aging off because I do want my elders to grow older and eventually die. I also turn aging on for the neighborhood once each rotation, so my "townies" all age at the same rate as my played households.

To prevent culling of townies I don't want to lose, I put them in a "safe house" -- just adding them to a vacant lot in the town. Even though I don't play them, the culling mechanism always skips over them.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I rotate between 3 households. I have Aging on for the Active Household only; aging off for everyone else. I age up the friends of my children and don't bother with other children.

Like others have said, you usually don't lose strong friendships; acquaintances do disappear, though. If you're only playing two or three families and you play them regularly (once a week for each, for example), the friendships shouldn't decay to the point where they disappear.

There was a problem with jobs about a year ago. They tried to fix it so that unplayed sims would get jobs, and it worked, but so many rotational players complained that they took the fix out.

Occasionally my married sims will have a romantic interest with some other sim when I come back to them. I look upon it as a flirtation and don't worry about it. It's never been as much as half of the pink bar.

I've noticed that if I don't send my sims to community lots much, the other sims in rotation tend to have fewer new relationships. If you really don't want unexpected friends, enemies, and romances, you can try keeping all your sims at home.
  • Options
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    I rotate between 3 households. I have Aging on for the Active Household only; aging off for everyone else. I age up the friends of my children and don't bother with other children.

Like others have said, you usually don't lose strong friendships; acquaintances do disappear, though. If you're only playing two or three families and you play them regularly (once a week for each, for example), the friendships shouldn't decay to the point where they disappear.

There was a problem with jobs about a year ago. They tried to fix it so that unplayed sims would get jobs, and it worked, but so many rotational players complained that they took the fix out.

Occasionally my married sims will have a romantic interest with some other sim when I come back to them. I look upon it as a flirtation and don't worry about it. It's never been as much as half of the pink bar.

I've noticed that if I don't send my sims to community lots much, the other sims in rotation tend to have fewer new relationships. If you really don't want unexpected friends, enemies, and romances, you can try keeping all your sims at home.

Unplayed Sims still get jobs assigned, but played Sims don't. Even if you don't actively play them. (I have loads of households marked played in my rotational save just because I wanted to pick their jobs.)

For the unexpected friends, enemies, and romances, I use UI Cheats Extension and MC Command Centre. With the first, I can reduce the level to one I prefer; with the second I can make them forget each other entirely. Often I'm okay with the new relationships the game makes in the background, but sometimes they're just wrong.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    I never worry too much about the "flirtations" that show up in the relationship bars. Sometimes I'm surprised by one, and if so, I keep it in the back of my mind. It might later "spin off" into a very interesting storyline.