Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will this laptop be suitable?

Kelly9515Kelly9515 Posts: 3 New Member
edited August 2015 in PC - Technical Discussions
Hi,

I will be in the market for a new laptop this September for the beginning of my last year of University. Ideally I would like the laptop to play TS3/4 and be suitable for university. I am absolutely useless with regards to tech things so would greatly appreciate some help!

This is the laptop I have my eye on:

Lenovo IdeaPad U330 Touch Ultrabook

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 4400
Hard Drive: 500GB hard drive and 8GB solid state drive
Memory: 4GB
Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
Processor: Dual-core Intel Core i7-4500U
Processor Speed: 1.8GHz to 3.0GHz with Turbo Boost

Thanks!
:smile:
Post edited by Kelly9515 on

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    It's a great laptop for university purposes, but not for Sims - in fact, below minimum required specifications. A laptop for Sims - basegame only - needs at least 2.2GHz CPU. And we've been seeing people's laptops with only integrated cards die one by one as they play Sims longer with more content.

If you want a laptop for this game, have a good look at the recommended, not the minimum, specs. The last thing you need for university is to lose a laptop to physical damage from gaming.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited August 2015
    I advise against getting it.

Acer Nitro ($900 - Sale):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314849

NewEgg is no tax outside of California, New Jersey, and Tennessee.

It is lightweight and would be easy to carry around while at university.

You could check out Lenovo's Y40-80 series laptops (use the coupon code listed and you will receive a discount; Lenovo offers free shipping); it is currently unknown if it will survive the whole game however. I would only recommend it if you are on a tight budget and need a laptop quickly.
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40-80/

You do need a gaming computer for the Sims.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    Kelly9515 wrote: »
    Hi,

I will be in the market for a new laptop this September for the beginning of my last year of University. Ideally I would like the laptop to play TS3/4 and be suitable for university. I am absolutely useless with regards to tech things so would greatly appreciate some help!

This is the laptop I have my eye on:

Lenovo IdeaPad U330 Touch Ultrabook

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 4400
    Hard Drive: 500GB hard drive and 8GB solid state drive
    Memory: 4GB
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
    Processor: Dual-core Intel Core i7-4500U
    Processor Speed: 1.8GHz to 3.0GHz with Turbo Boost

Thanks!
    :smile:
    hum i would keep looking around for better specs as far as graphics are concerned and the memory at least 6 gigs of memory and something better than an intel card

• Options
    sophtasticsophtastic Posts: 610 Member
    edited August 2015
    My laptop, a Sony Vaio, is the very very minimum requirements and I still have all the expansion packs except Cool Kitchen Stuff and Get Together. It will still work but you won't be able to have it on very high settings. I'm on mediums, but I still think it's a great game and graphics are good. Not sure if you have enough memory, but you should speak on a live chat with EA Support. If you go on their website and go to "Help", you should have the option to use this free chat in which you talk to someone about it, they're very friendly and nice. After that, I don't know what to tell you really. I think it's only if you will get your moneys worth.
    Hope I helped o:)
    toddddddllleeeeerrrrrrrssss
    tumblr_n0qwctD0MN1sb146lo1_400.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    The Intel HD graphics would be the biggest red flag -- if you look in the Tech discussions there are a bunch of topics from people who've tried to play using the integrated graphics and had a massive fail. You'll want a laptop that has a dedicated graphics card -- I recommend looking at any of the systems from Asus under their Republic of Gamers line; I've got one that I picked up on sale and it runs Sims 4 like a dream. You might end up paying a bit more but you'll be happier in the long run.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,741 Member
    You should move your thread to the tech discussion section of this forum. You will get better suggestions there and they can help you find a more suitable laptop. Like what the other said, the Intel graphics here isn't good for the TS4.
    My Top Song of the Day: The Blackest of Birds by Fightstar
    Y2D8eAf.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone :)
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    No.
    Your budget?
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    sophtastic wrote: »
    My laptop, a Sony Vaio, is the very very minimum requirements and I still have all the expansion packs except Cool Kitchen Stuff and Get Together. It will still work but you won't be able to have it on very high settings. I'm on mediums, but I still think it's a great game and graphics are good. Not sure if you have enough memory, but you should speak on a live chat with EA Support. If you go on their website and go to "Help", you should have the option to use this free chat in which you talk to someone about it, they're very friendly and nice. After that, I don't know what to tell you really. I think it's only if you will get your moneys worth.
    Hope I helped o:)

Sony vaio is awesome but discontinued :tired_face:
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    Budget really is a little as possible. For a PC, max of 600, although I am looking at the Macbook Pro (2015) but obviously, Apple will be more expensive
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    Kelly9515 wrote: »
    Budget really is a little as possible. For a PC, max of 600, although I am looking at the Macbook Pro (2015) but obviously, Apple will be more expensive

Hello,

Here is the absolute lowest I can recommend - it should be able to play the game at medium-high settings, and probably dropping to medium with expansion packs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315015

To be sure that it would work with The Sims 4 with expansion packs, you'd probably have to purchase the top end $2499 Macbook Pro (2015) as it is the only one with a dedicated graphics card.

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC