Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tech help with Possible PC Purchase

ZarrielZarriel Posts: 475 Member
edited August 2015 in PC - Technical Discussions

Comments

• Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited August 2015
    It is a good price.. however i would be asking exactly what motherboard it is ( brand and model.) And i would want to know the brand of graphics card ( reference or non reference.)
    Also you need to know the power supply.
    Considering this is ebay.. i would ask those questions and any other question's you may have. 14 days is not a very good warranty. Although any issues would probably pop up in the first week.
    Spec wise its good. Will play the entire sims 4 series on ultra. Do you play other games?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited August 2015
    It is a good price.. however i would be asking exactly what motherboard it is ( brand and model.) And i would want to know the brand of graphics card ( reference or non reference.)
    Considering this is ebay.. i would ask those questions and any other question's you may have. 14 days is not a very good warranty. Although any issues would probably pop up in the first week.
    Spec wise its good. Will play the entire sims 4 series on ultra. Do you play other games?

Page down he lists all hardware brands. Motherboard he put his for example

MOTHERBOARD: AMD 970 Chipset Socket AM3+ ATX Motherboard
    Realtek ALC892 8 Channel Audio
    2x PCI Express X16 Slots
    2x USB 3.0 Ports
    6x USB 2.0 Ports
    Gigabit LAN
    6x SATA III 6.0
  • Options
    edited August 2015

2x PCI Express X16 Slots
    2x USB 3.0 Ports
    6x USB 2.0 Ports
    Gigabit LAN
    6x SATA III 6.0

Are those good specs, Phoebebebe, Chesterbigbird? I know nothing about computers other than they are supposed to work. :/ Bottom line, should I bite or move along?
    Origin ID:
    coollogo_com-31276450_zps25ba3967.png

• Options
    Zarriel wrote: »

2x PCI Express X16 Slots
    2x USB 3.0 Ports
    6x USB 2.0 Ports
    Gigabit LAN
    6x SATA III 6.0

Are those good specs, Phoebebebe, Chesterbigbird? I know nothing about computers other than they are supposed to work. :/ Bottom line, should I bit or move along?

You need chester for this one since they have been building for years. They will be on the forum later. They are on a different time zone. This person on ebay seems to be using some generic hardware. You would probably be better off with chester building you a custom computer on cyberpower so you get all good certified hardware. You can even pm chesterbigbird which would be better and they will answer you when they get back on the forum. Chester built a configuration on line for my son on cyberpower and cyberpower does a good job on custom. No tax outside of CA.
  • Options

You need chester for this one since they have been building for years. They will be on the forum later. They are on a different time zone. This person on ebay seems to be using some generic hardware. You would probably be better off with chester building you a custom computer on cyberpower so you get all good certified hardware. You can even pm chesterbigbird which would be better and they will answer you when they get back on the forum. Chester built a configuration on line for my son on cyberpower and cyberpower does a good job on custom. No tax outside of CA. [/quote]

I had no clue about all this! No wonder you recommended him the last time we spoke! You can bet your plum that I'll go with him! Thanks for the heads up!
    Origin ID:

• Options
    edited August 2015
    your welcome
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited August 2015

2x PCI Express X16 Slots
    2x USB 3.0 Ports
    6x USB 2.0 Ports
    Gigabit LAN
    6x SATA III 6.0

@phoebebebe13 - I think Chester was wanting to know specific brand and model names for the motherboard and other hardware, as AMD 970 is just the chipset name and there are numerous motherboards that use this chipset. But as you rightly said, this seller seems to be using generic hardware which does not fill me with confidence at all, especially considering an eBay warranty being extremely sketchy and not properly covered under sale-of-goods laws.

@Zarriel - I second what people are saying about CyberpowerPC, as they have much better customer service and a three-year warranty if I remember correctly, so you'll be better covered. I'll see what I can come up with for $1,000 for you :)

EDIT: Here is what I have come up with for ~$850, which should leave you some additional budget for a monitor if you need it. If you don't, then I can change the build.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1H8WRT

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @CodySimstein I was not sure about the motherboard. Im not up on AMD hardware why I told op to double check with chester but it does seem other things they list are generic. I agree14 day warranty is not a good idea. Cyberpower gives 1 year warranty on hardware and 3 year warranty on their build. Most places give one year warranty on hardware even off the shelf.

PS also I dont know what other games OP is playing besides the sims because some games need higher video cards etc. and what op's official budget is and do they need a monitor too.
  • Options
    Hey Guys,
    Um, no...don't need a monitor, mouse or keyboard. I've got all that. The computer I'm running now is a gaming comp...had it built awhile ago and I NEED to upgrade for sure....this one is nearly 8 years old...although I've kept it updated for the most part. Anywho, I've got around a $1,000 budget and all I need is the comp. And I want it to run as fast as possible! Not playing any other games right now...I'm on WiFi internet because of where we live...but, we are going to be buying a new home in about 2 months so I'll be going back to cable then...THANK HEAVENS!
    I would like to have a Nvidia GTX 970 or 980 if I could get it...but who wouldn't? lol Also, I've never had AMD hardware before. Always used Intel.., this one is a intel core 2 duo E6750 CPU...so I would want another intel if at all possible. And I definitely think Cyberpower would be the better route to take.
    Origin ID:

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    @Zarriel

Here is what I have come up with:
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1H8XBH

It is NVidia + Intel; it has Intel's newest and a EVGA GTX 970. You would kind of have to raise your budget a bit. :)

I have the same power supply (and I believe it is currently the only one good on stock that is 750 watts right now...).

I also decided to customize a AMD build as well...
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1H8XBL

It is an AMD FX-8320 with an AMD Radeon R9 380.

In the Intel customization, I added a free $50 gift card, while in the AMD customization, I added the Dirt Rally game deal thing that AMD is doing.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    Zarriel wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    Um, no...don't need a monitor, mouse or keyboard. I've got all that. The computer I'm running now is a gaming comp...had it built awhile ago and I NEED to upgrade for sure....this one is nearly 8 years old...although I've kept it updated for the most part. Anywho, I've got around a $1,000 budget and all I need is the comp. And I want it to run as fast as possible! Not playing any other games right now...I'm on WiFi internet because of where we live...but, we are going to be buying a new home in about 2 months so I'll be going back to cable then...THANK HEAVENS!
    I would like to have a Nvidia GTX 970 or 980 if I could get it...but who wouldn't? lol Also, I've never had AMD hardware before. Always used Intel.., this one is a intel core 2 duo E6750 CPU...so I would want another intel if at all possible. And I definitely think Cyberpower would be the better route to take.

Okay, I have modified the build based on this information, although it is now slightly over your mentioned budget. In my opinion, you do not need a GTX 970 or GTX 980 to play The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, unless you're playing at 4K resolutions. However, if you're going to be playing more demanding games (i.e. GTA V, Dragon Age Inquisition), then the GTX 970 would be more viable. I've also added a WiFi card for you just in case you need it.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1H8XCM

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    I customized Intel's previous processor and it is cheaper...
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1H8XCN

Has Intel's previous, Haswell, and EVGA GTX 970.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    When i get to my pc i will also do a config for you, i agree with what everyone has said about the ebay pc.. thats why i said to ask questions because after 14 days your on your own.. and you could get a lemon. Cyberpowerpc much better. :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options