Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Acer vs. Mac

SharkDOSharkDO Posts: 252 Member
edited August 2015 in PC - Technical Discussions
Hi everyone, I'm not very good with computers but I am wondering, my 13.3" MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) is currently broken and I just got a Acer Aspire E 15 Touch. When the Mac gets fixed, which one should I play TS4 on? Which one will run faster? Could I even install TS3 also on one and would it run okay (not just the game, but the computer in general)? What about Expansion Packs?

TS4 runs okay on my Mac, and TS3 ran alright, but crashed occasionally. Would it be like that on the Acer?

Once again Acer Aspire E 15 Touch vs. 13.3" MacBook Pro Notebook Computer (Mid 2012), for TS4 (and maybe TS3 too).

Note: I posted this on the GD area but it just turned into arguing... hopefully you guys can give me the facts and just that! Thanks again!
"I'm a Simmer, not a gamer. I feel like my frustration with the game and the reason I don't "get it" is more about a disconnection and confusion with the vision...I'm worried about the future of the franchise."

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The Acer is not meant for any gaming what so ever; you are better off with playing the Sims on the Macbook Pro. Sure both have integrated cards, but you will receive a better performance on the Pro than the Acer.

I will be notifying some experts...
    @phoebebebe13
    @emmaning
    @chesterbigbird
    @BluebellFlora
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    SharkDOSharkDO Posts: 252 Member
    The Acer is not meant for any gaming what so ever; you are better off with playing the Sims on the Macbook Pro. Sure both have integrated cards, but you will receive a better performance on the Pro than the Acer.

@phoebebebe13
    @emmaning
    @chesterbigbird
    @BluebellFlora

Thank you for reply to both threads. That is what I think I am going to go with.
    "I'm a Simmer, not a gamer. I feel like my frustration with the game and the reason I don't "get it" is more about a disconnection and confusion with the vision...I'm worried about the future of the franchise."
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    Hello,

Neither laptops are particularly gaming oriented, and so won't play TS4 at the highest settings. But of the two, the Macbook would probably perform ever so slightly better.

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    The MacBook Pro (mid 2012) is far better than the acer aspire.
    Upgrade to El captain whenever it's out :)
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    SharkDO wrote: »

@phoebebebe13
    @emmaning
    @chesterbigbird
    @BluebellFlora

Thank you for reply to both threads. That is what I think I am going to go with.

I got your PM but if you want MAC advice for both the sims 3 and 4 you need @Igazor or @BlueBellFlora They are both experts at MAC
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2015
    As pretty much others who know what they are talking about have already said (but WOW, there was a lot of noise on that other thread to ignore!)... :o

First, the Acer model in question.
    You might be able to run TS4 on it, but not add many expansion packs as they come out. It won't run extremely well. TS3 is probably out of the question, though you might be able to get away with base game only (no EPs) while still risking overheating and damaging the device. Laptops like that are designed for surfing the web, emails, and light office type tasks, not for playing graphics intensive games.

The MBP in question is a better choice for TS4 but still not all that great for TS3, which is much more demanding. TS3 for Mac has built in limitations that the Windows version does not because of the way EA arranged things. It's the only game in this series that was not ported to Mac OS X properly. The game's limit on the Mac side is 2 GB of RAM; if it reaches for more, you will have crashes or Error12s upon trying to save, which are just as bad. There are ways to help keep gameplay under that limit, but that becomes more difficult as you add EPs and because of that model's integrated graphics. Long lasting multi-generational TS3 games become especially difficult if not impossible.

If I really wanted to play TS3 on that MBP, I would bootcamp Windows onto it and install the Windows version. The integrated graphics would still be there and be somewhat limiting, but at least the 2 GB RAM restriction would be lifted. I would also add more RAM to it if it only has the stock 4 GB.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,115 Member
    ^This^

@phoebebebe13 I replied to his PM.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Thank you @BlueBellFlora and @Igazor. Igazor what this now twice you made it over to the sims 4 section? LOL
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Yeah, my current allotment of visa points doesn't allow me to stay here for very long.
    (scurries away)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    AkeelneyAkeelney Posts: 115 Member
    Mac is better.
    *opinion given.*