Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to convert an xml file to a simdata file

jtravers88jtravers88 Posts: 591 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Anyone know? I don't think s4pe will do this.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    'Be aware that buffs need companion binary simdata files as well, so create one for our XML file.'

The documentation states the same for the trait xml file. I'm looking at the 010 Editor and I don't see a process for creating a data file from an xml file. Any suggestions?
    Post edited by jtravers88 on
  • Options
    thequux2thequux2 Posts: 19 New Member
    I put this in your "Thanks" thread earlier, and just noticed you had opened a new one. Because more people will probably be looking here:

As far as I know, you'll need to wait for somebody in the community to write a tool to modify the SimData files, because the .bt files only are useful for understanding the structure of them. For now you can use velocitygrass's data file tool (I'd post a link, but I'm new here, so http:__modthesims.info_showthread.php?t=531876 will have to do.) to keep the files in sync manually; in the future, I'll have a tool that converts the XML files into data files. Watch this space for details :smiley:
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yea I don't understand the need for the xml creation step other than documentation.

Unfortunately the 010 Editor costs something after 30 days. So a simdata file editor is needed for the community. But I'm not about to create xml files and convert them. I'll take a simdata trait file, change the key/hash whatever and add my data and save it and repackage it.
  • Options
    At some point, you won't need to directly edit the XML files because there will be a better tool for writing it. That's actually what my tool will be for in the long run, but that's at least a month away. I may include a tool to edit both the Simdata and XML and keep them in sync, but no promises there.

Keep in mind that you need to edit both the simdata and XML files and keep them in sync, and unknown badness results from them getting out of sync (at least according to the guide).
  • Options
    Also, in response to your last message from the other thread, you *do* need to edit the XML as well; the XML is used by the python scripts, whereas the binary files are used by the engine, which is written in C++. Also, the set of values that is allowed in each of them is different, and depends on the tdesc files and the zipped python files.

You won't actually need to know all that for just making simple mods. Editing both the XML and SimData files and just changing the values will let you do a lot of the simple changes that you might like to do. I want to make some fairly fundamental changes to the rules of the game, though, and I get a perverse sort of pleasure from getting the absolute maximum out of a tool that I can, so I've spent more time with the game open on my operating table staring at its innards (as it were) than I have actually playing the thing (and it's been lots of fun; thanks to @SimGuruModSquad for the fun project!).
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I assumed the xml was for documentation and editing purposes only since I didn't see the xml in the example package. Possibly two of the 'unknown' entries, as defined by s4pe, were xml.

There are no 0x738e6c56 resource keys in the simsmodsquad-novelist.package according to s4pe. ?
  • Options
    Right. Enable "Enable fallback text preview" under s4pe's Settings menu, and then look at the various unknown entries: all but one is XML. (the type ID is the FNV1 hash of the object type (the "i" field), so traits are type "CB5FDDC7", buffs are "6017E896", etc).

When looking at unknown formats, you usually want to look at them in hex view; it tends to be fairly clear what sorts of ways you might go about peeking inside the file from there.
  • Options
    that worked.. thks.
  • Options
    Shimrod101Shimrod101 Posts: 304 Member
    "Right. Enable "Enable fallback text preview" under s4pe's Settings menu,"

GEEZE LOUISE!!! Best find in forever! Almost forever, anyway.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    It was in s3pe too - my idea :D
  • Options
    Shimrod101Shimrod101 Posts: 304 Member
    Why didn't you say something about this setting a long time ago then?! Or, well, last week maybe. lol.
  • Options
    IngeJones wrote: »
    It was in s3pe too - my idea :D

:D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top