The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tutorial: Build Stairs with a Landing

DavlanDavlan Posts: 87 Member
edited September 2014 in The Sims 4 Lots
Greetings Simmers!

I have created a tutorial showing you how to build stairs with a landing in The Sims 4. You can find it here: http://imgur.com/a/fB0ay#0

Basically, you can make rooms that have stairs like this:

E74NVpw.png

Essentially, the technique is use the foundation as a landing area and delete the rest of the floors. The limitation is that doors and windows can't be placed on foundation, but walls only. So you make a small landing area where your sims can use your door. You would also have stairs going to your door from outside, or a front deck.

Hope it helps, guys! Happy Simming!

Comments

• Options
    xixeatxcrayonsxxixeatxcrayonsx Posts: 144 Member
    Is it possible to make a second floor landing? like the normal stairs go up from the first floor and at the second floor have a small set of steps going to the second floor?
  • Options
    I don't believe so. This is the only way that I have found to make curved staircases.
  • Options
    KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    This is a great tutorial, @Davlan. Thank you so much for sharing it!
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• Options
    xixeatxcrayonsxxixeatxcrayonsx Posts: 144 Member
    darn thats tricky i wish they didn't remove all the building cheats
  • Options
    VerionaVeriona Posts: 505 Member
    @Davlan Thanks a bunch for sharing this info!
  • Options
    @Veronia @KaylyRed Thanks, I'm glad you like it!
  • Options
    CaitarinaCaitarina Posts: 175 Member
    its the same way to make a split level room. sadly it looks little weird with 1 small part and 1 long part mostly its even..
    but im still gonna make it when im building a 2nd floor on my legacy house :)
    zy5wme.png
  • Options
    @rosemow Thanks!

@Caitarina I agree, it looks kinda weird. I had the foundation part pretty small for the tutorial but you can make it larger which would even out the stair lengths a bit more.
  • Options
    Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    favorited and thank you so much!
    5sXtTqH.png
  • Options
    celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    Davlan wrote: »
    Greetings Simmers!

I have created a tutorial showing you how to build stairs with a landing in The Sims 4. You can find it here: http://imgur.com/a/fB0ay#0

E74NVpw.png

Essentially, the technique is use the foundation as a landing area and delete the rest of the floors. The limitation is that doors and windows can't be placed on foundation, but walls only. So you make a small landing area where your sims can use your door. You would also have stairs going to your door from outside, or a front deck.

I haven't figured out how to put a rail around the opening on the 2nd floor

• Options
    HunnysuckleHunnysuckle Posts: 12 New Member
    Thank you for sharing!!
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    Being able to create a split level is really good so thanks for this tutorial. The one thing which bothers me about building in Sims 4 is that it's more limiting than Sims 3 - for instance, it's not possible to re-colour the foundation so that it matches the walls.
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    wow, awesome, thanku!
  • Options
    JulianneALeeJulianneALee Posts: 109 Member
    A railing replaces an existing wall. So you have to put in a wall, then replace it with a fence.

My problem with this method of making a split level is that you can't have a door on the ground level. If more than one room is at ground level, you can't put a door between the rooms, only an open space with no wall. I find it rather more limiting than not being able to do split level at all. The old Sims 2 basements and terrain levels were much more useful.
    Julianne Lee
    Simmer since 2001
  • Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Thanks, this helps a lot! :)
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    SimLadyCandiSimLadyCandi Posts: 11 New Member
    Wow, I like this. I've always wanted stairs with a landing like this. Thank you for sharing
  • Options
    Simmer724Simmer724 Posts: 106 Member
    Davlan wrote: »
    Greetings Simmers!

E74NVpw.png

Thank you for this!
  • Options
    xxkimxxxxkimxx Posts: 1 New Member
    I think if you put a "room" in the middle of the room you want the bottom stairs in and do it exactly like this tutorial it should work :)