Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cache Folder In The Demo

DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
edited August 2014 in PC - Technical Discussions
There is a sub-folder labeled "cache" inside my Demo folder. Right now it is over 24 MBs and has 1,409 items inside. Most of them are JPEG images of sim households but there are also several files listed at the bottom of the folder.

What are these images? And, not that I'm going to do it now, is it safe to delete them?
14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    I have no clue @Darkling because the I haven't messed with any files in the CAS Demo folder. I have only viewed the two (.sgr) files in the program files to check mostly graphics card levels. ;)

Maybe one of the modders can come along and tell you for sure. :)
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    @blunote00, thanks for the reply. :) I was curious but I have no intention of messing with it at this point, either. You know my motto: "If it ain't broke, leave it the hell alone!"
  • Options
    Darkling wrote: »
    @blunote00, thanks for the reply. :) I was curious but I have no intention of messing with it at this point, either. You know my motto: "If it ain't broke, leave it the hell alone!"
    I know what you mean. ;)

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    So hell does not become plum? I still can't get over t.i.t.l.e is "plummed"
  • Options
    duck74duck74 Posts: 686 Member
    Feel free to delete your cache. It is only there so the game doesn't have to use the internet to load the pictures and some data.
  • Options
    dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    There is a sub-folder labeled "cache" inside my Demo folder. Right now it is over 24 MBs and has 1,409 items inside. Most of them are JPEG images of sim households but there are also several files listed at the bottom of the folder.

What are these images? And, not that I'm going to do it now, is it safe to delete them?

Hi Dark and Blu hugging-smiley-Huggalo.gif

That's odd because my cache folder is empty.
    2rxu2ph.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    dark5id3 wrote: »

Hi Dark and Blu hugging-smiley-Huggalo.gif

That's odd because my cache folder is empty.

Hey Dark!!!

tumblr_lwa1i56C971qhvioa.gif

It is odd because I just checked mine and suddenly it's empty too. Weird. I did open and shut the game this morning briefly to test out some CC I downloaded but didn't go into the Gallery. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @jimmysnan: The plumming censor here makes no plumming sense! :)

@duck74: I'll keep that in mind for the future but apparently it decided to delete itself...not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

*looks around for Skynet*
  • Options
    @jimmysnan: The plumming censor here makes no plumming sense! :)

@duck74: I'll keep that in mind for the future but apparently it decided to delete itself...not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

*looks around for Skynet*

@Darkling you are right it does not.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    My cache file is full of all kinds of pictures!!! Is that bad? I got a new rank, I can't keep up this ranking/ awards business gets old fast! I am tired of it already, never paid much attention to it in the sims 3, don't really care to now, wish we could opt out of it!
  • Options
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    My cache file is full of all kinds of pictures!!! Is that bad? I got a new rank, I can't keep up this ranking/ awards business gets old fast! I am tired of it already, never paid much attention to it in the sims 3, don't really care to now, wish we could opt out of it!
    Nan mine is as it was and full of images. However, I haven't been in the CAS Demo since July 30th.
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited August 2014
    I just noticed mine is full of pics. Randomly I found Johnny Depp, a gallery creation. I have not Downloaded him. It just seems to be pics from the gallery. Maybe it appears in your cache When you go into the gallery?

Edit: Remember how all those ton of sims 3 store stuff thumbnails was kept in the sims folder (flashback) , stuff you may not even own yet, but it was really hard to get rid of the ton of thumbnails and they just kept coming back?
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member

Darkling, are they sims you made. I just went to EA folder and then Demo folder and then Cache and I have nothing in it.
    I have only made 5 sims and they are saved in my library only.
    Am I looking in the right place.

• Options
    Hell9997Hell9997 Posts: 357 Member
    The cache folder is where the game stores images from the gallery as you browse through it. It prevents the game from having to download the images every time you go to view them. This will be for any creation you see on the screen in the gallery - Not just ones you download. Think of it as the cache/temporary internet files in your web browser. Deleting the contents of the folder is fine, the game will just have to download them again if/when you come across them again in the gallery.

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Hell9997 wrote: »
    The cache folder is where the game stores images from the gallery as you browse through it. It prevents the game from having to download the images every time you go to view them. This will be for any creation you see on the screen in the gallery - Not just ones you download. Think of it as the cache/temporary internet files in your web browser. Deleting the contents of the folder is fine, the game will just have to download them again if/when you come across them again in the gallery.<br />
    <br />

I found them , I only have EA sims that I can see, the ones I made do not show a picture, it says temp with a number.
    Is this right. thought maybe the pictures would show up after the game comes out. I don't kow

• Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    Hell9997 wrote: »
    The cache folder is where the game stores images from the gallery as you browse through it. It prevents the game from having to download the images every time you go to view them. This will be for any creation you see on the screen in the gallery - Not just ones you download. Think of it as the cache/temporary internet files in your web browser. Deleting the contents of the folder is fine, the game will just have to download them again if/when you come across them again in the gallery.<br />
    <br />

Thank you, that does explain it.

• Options
    @Evalen: Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response. A few of mine could have been in there as I have uploaded a few sims but there were over 1400 images the first time I opened it up so I was a bit overwhelmed. :confounded:

@Hell9997: That explains why the folder was full when I opened the Gallery and empty when I hadn't. Thanks! :)