Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Love and Hate Roaring Heights

RH is one of the coolest towns and I'm very excited about it. It is beautiful and I'm trying to modify lots here and there, like add in professional bars and add some store content to give the sims a few more things to do while out and about. My problem is that this place is crash happy. I like to make my own sims to but every time I go into edit town mode, this place crashes to desktop. Making sims may or may not crash the game but trying to move them in has become almost impossible. I've been playing for three hours and have next to no progress tonight because I simply wanted to add a sim to my household.

I've already moved a lot of my previous saves to a folder outside the game to free up some resource. I've installed Overwatch and Errortrap. I upgraded my OS so that I could install more memory long ago. This is so frustrating. I just had to vent. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Options
    KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,463 Member
    edited January 2014
    Mine freezes up solid, but only that town. I'm wondering if it is the roller coaster?
  • Options
    WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    edited January 2014
    My game crashes all the time in Roaring Heights and I don't know why. It only happens in that town.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited January 2014
    I havent had any problems With it crashing. Probably shouldnt have said it, it may happen now ;) I Guess you have cleared Your cache files?
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,574 Member
    edited January 2014
    It must be very frustrating, especially since it doesn't happen to everyone.

Have you tried all of the suggestions here?
  • Options
    amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,517 Member
    edited January 2014
    First of all, turn off that new mini-game feature, in the Options menu. That has caused crashing problems for a lot of people. So get rid of it, on principle.

But the world has routing issues, for sure. To help reduce routing problems, I did the following:

I removed that large dock looking thing on stilts nearby the roller coaster lot, with the rabbithole restaurant on it. Then I build a real dock in its place, making it larger so that the restaurant rabbithole can fit less tightly, without the routing issues next to the air conditioner in the back. Since it is now a real dock, I changed it in the community menu to "Dock." I have a houseboat moored there.

I bulldozed the criminal building lot, and turned that lot into a real dock with a houseboat. I placed the criminal cave from another world on the edge of the big fishing lake lot, and rezoned that the criminal hideout, instead. It makes more sense, anyway, since the lot they used is one of three lots in this world that can be turned into a real dock with uninhibited access to the ocean.

I deleted all the houses that look like they are supposed to be houseboats, but are built on stilts. Stilts trap sims. If you really want those houses, then place a fence around the stilts, so no sims can walk underneath.

I deleted the table and chairs in the back of the black/white artist home. They are sunk in the ground and will cause routing issues.

I deleted the house with the hidden prison in the basement. It is badly glitched and apparently not fixable.

I removed the deck on stilts thing behind the Bistro, and turned it into a patio built on a cliff, so I could have some Bistro tables, a bar, and karaoke on the Bistro lot. I also removed some things, so sims have an easier way to get to the back of the lot.

I turned off Pets in Options, so there isn't a house somewhere with five horses in the backyard waiting adoption, in this city world.

I checked to make sure no strays were spawned in a location that trapped them, and aged up any stray babies.

I removed the new hedges, which have been reported as grabbing sims and not letting them go. I also removed any unnecessary regular hedges and fences, which can trap animals. Sometimes those can be removed without affecting the overall appeal of the property.

Where ever possible, I removed the new building tops that won't disappear when going to lower floors, and made four or five story buildings, instead. I replaced some of them with light colored skyscrapers from LN, to keep the city vibe.

I removed all car parking spaces on community lots. They just cause townies to leave abandoned cars there. Sims don't need parking spaces, anyway, since they are more than happy to store cars in their back pockets. ;)

I turned off story progression and turned off aging. I can still age up my playable sims, as desired. But the world will stay the size I make it, with the sims I want to play in that world, and no more. It will also never spawn any more pets. So if one does get trapped, at least I know what I am looking for, as I hunt around the world to free the pet.

That's what I have done, so far. I still have to find places where palm trees are too close together, and may trap large animals. I also plan to use a mod to kill off all EA sims and replace them with my own, but in slightly reduced numbers. I find that usually makes a world play better.

And I still plan to remodel community lots to make each one serve a completely different purpose, with no superfluous objects. Every object must serve a purpose or it's history. For instance, I'm going to just bulldoze the library, and rebuild it, entirely, making it smaller -- but probably with a small college attached to it, where sims can study science, art, or business objects, etc.

I know all this sounds like a lot of work, but once you optimize a world, it plays sooooo much better. And getting rid of routing issues, where ever possible, really makes a huge difference in playability.
  • Options
    wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    edited January 2014
    amjoie: It is a lot of work but totally worth it. Thank you for posting all the things you have done to make the world more enjoyable. I took notes and appreciate the effort you put into this.
    I've had to do this in other worlds too, but getting the information like this saves having to play and "discover"
  • Options
    DijanaMenatasDijanaMenatas Posts: 624 Member
    edited January 2014
    Amjoie, I'm going to have to use all that as a reference. I was so looking forward to RH but was so immensely disappointed when I bought it. As beautiful as it is, the routing issues were a nightmare.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    This is terrible! We should not get a refund, they should be paying us to fix the game! How can the store release a world when it is so badly glitched?
    I cannot play it at all it quits constantly.
    I started a whole new sims 3 file and was able to play for a bit but as soon as I put my saved game and my store content back it the problem returns. This happens to me usually with new store worlds. I go about customizing the town just how I want it with nice builds but I can never actually play in the world at all without the game quitting. Who wants to play a vanilla game with none of the store content we paid good money for? Not me.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    :( This is terrible! We should not get a refund, they should be paying us to fix the game! How can the store release a world when it is so badly glitched?
    I cannot play it at all it quits constantly.
    I started a whole new sims 3 file and was able to play for a bit but as soon as I put my saved game and my store content back it the problem returns. This happens to me usually with new store worlds. I go about customizing the town just how I want it with nice builds but I can never actually play in the world at all without the game quitting. Who wants to play a vanilla game with none of the store content we paid good money for? Not me.
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited January 2014
    As much as I love Roaring Heights, the oversights makes me cringe when it comes to playing it fully.

For the Skyscraper Tops, just simply go into Build/Buy Mode and lift the pieces and place them back. You shouldn't see the tops anymore when you play in your game (at least for good).

I "think" it's an issue when you install something with the tops pre-placed, so I'd probably see if there is a lot using the skyscraper top and it does the same.
  • Options
    dizzydeedizzydee Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited January 2014
    Amjoie, I'm embarrassed to admit that my mouth fell open while I was reading your post. I am soooo lazy. I feel I've done a lot of work if I plan an outfit. And here you are remaking the town.

I do love RH and - knock on wood - haven't had the lagging or crashing problems, but I do get tired of my Sims going around in circles at the Bistro and getting stuck behind the Dinner. My solution, of course, (lazy, lazy) is to just not send my Sims. Instead (now, this part is a plug) I added Nighthawks out by Clyde's and The RH Automat. However Sincerbox made a replacement for the Diner I may use.

Nighthawks by CK213 http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7505594

Automat by Zoey95 http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7864899

Seaside Coffee House by Sicerbox http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7855556

Karilyn, I love your RH Boutique. http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7868501

One thing I do do before I start playing a new game is - use the Reset Everything option in Master Controller and then Save. Sometimes I do this more than once. I'm lazy and superstitious. This seems to fix the building topper issues and I haven't had any problems with the Boardwalk.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited January 2014
    I haven't had any lags or crashing with RH. I have Overwatch and Error Trap installed which takes care of regular issues, but nothing seems to be RH specific.
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    My thinking on this is that since this is an issue that effects some players but not others - it's a conflict (or a corrupted save file). Some combination of objects that some players have but other players don't is triggering the crashing and lagging. Since store objects are developed with only the Base Game+Updates the Store Team isn't going to see the conflict. Not that it's not possible to run a "fully loaded" game and check for conflicts - but that's another job description and probably not something that's allocated resources by EA. That's where people like Twallan came in. - And it's nice :thumbup: to see there are folks willing to have a go at keeping NRass going.

The easiest thing to find is a corrupt Save. Take the Saves folder out of Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 - a new one will be created - and try playing a new game with RH. But, any file can become corrupted. Check out Crinrict's page of tools for possible help http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/category/tutorial/tutorial-tools. If you're not familiar with Crinrict's site it's nicely organized and has lots of helpful stuff.

Part of the problem of looking for conflicts is that Store content has become increasingly difficult to compare and organize. There's both too much of it and it comes in different packages. Individual Items, Compilations, Sets, Venues, Worlds, CYS and now MMO.

As an individual player the only way to figure out if you have a conflict is to start with an absolutely clean game - no CC, no store content. (see Crin's Tutorial http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/06/tutorial-resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling.html but DON'T add back your Saves folder.) Play a bit to make sure it all works and then add RH. Play RH. Does it crash? Yes. Get on the phone to CS. No. Add the Boardwalk. Play. Yes. No. Follow the rest of Crinrict's Tutorial to add back your content. Except for that Saves folder. Only add that when you've got everything working.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    SimsplyRuthSimsplyRuth Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited January 2014
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions and links.

Amjoie - I copy/pasted your entire post as I plan to follow your steps. I do more tweaking of my towns, sims, and their houses then I do playing anyway.

Then, tomorrow I will begin checking all the other tips.

I have a sever problem with my computer - I can play my game for a while and then my computer freezes - it also does this when I am playing one of my Big Fish games so I know it is the computer and not an EA Glitch - and I don't know what to do about it cuz I can't afford to hire someone to check/fix it....

• Options
    edited January 2014
    @SimplyRuth,

Do you have security software.? If not get some. I use Avast. They have a free version that is very good.

I ask because my Grandkids like Big Fish, but I feel like they're a little lax about their users security. Also thesims3.com can be a little dicey on the weekends. Mostly just windows of diceyness and not effecting* downloads or purchases, but annoying none the less - and maybe adding a bit of buggy ness to your PC.

*Only EA would know this for sure, but Simmers are pretty vocal, so I think we'd know as well. Don't want to panic anyone.
  • Options
    Solstice401Solstice401 Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited January 2014
    Wilderwolf wrote:
    My game crashes all the time in Roaring Heights and I don't know why. It only happens in that town.

Same here! I have all the worlds and this is the only world where my game cases. So frusterating.