The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vacations and University in The Sims 4 (when they become available)

For The Sims 4, I would like the option to send my Sims off on vacation or off to university without actually having to follow them there. The reason I would like this feature in the game is because I often avoid sending my Sims off to university or on vacation because I just couldn't be bothered sitting through a loading screen and then having to control them while there. On the other hand though, I would like my Sims to go off and enjoy higher education or vacations, particularly when aging from teen to young adult or after getting married.

Basically what I would like is the ability to send a married couple off on honeymoon after getting married. When booking the holiday, I would get a menu and I would select the number of days my Sim goes on holiday for. I would then have an option to choose if they are selectable or not and if I make them unselectable, they would go off on holiday, I would continue to look after any other Sims living in the household and the Sims off on holiday would be greyed out and inactive until they returned from holiday. The same would go for university students. Because sometimes, I want my Sims to enjoy all the benefits of the holiday or university but just couldn't be bothered going through all the involved stuff that's required for vacations and college in the game.

Anyone else with me on this?

Comments

• Options
    Molie86Molie86 Posts: 651 Member
    edited September 2013
    I agree about university and wish they would include your idea in the base game. Like boarding school in ts3. Then when they eventually release university they can allow us to follow them there.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited September 2013
    No I can't agree. In real life, you have to work hard to get that degree and I'd prefer to keep it the same. I play both TS2 and Ts3, currently just finished having my sim go through eight semesters of college to graduate SummaCumLaude (gpa 4.0+) in TS2. His fiancee (whom he met at the dorm) graduated CumLaude (gpa 3.8) which should have been MagnaCumLaude. I actually enjoyed making them work for what they get and seeing their progress.

Same way with vacations, I prefer the TS2 type of vacations over the World Adventure version. Not that I hated WA, I just never play it and haven't played it since it was released back in 2009. Plus bugs from that game still affect every single release after it.

However as far as University goes, I would love to have that option in the same town as well as going off to campus. Maybe the sims could have a stay-cation option for vacations as well.

Basically, I guess my question is why would you even want these two expansions just to not send them anywhere? Sorry but I don't understand the purpose of your thread.

EDIT: Stupid censor! Really?!?
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,571 Member
    edited September 2013
    In term of vacation i would much rather have my sims enjoy a vacation as a family witch means the mom father children and baby brother or sister age as a toddler and on the uni side if the sims parents decide they went a degree rather than living on the uni lot they could travel to there uni and then at the end of there class and semester they go straight home at the end of the day to be with there family and if they have to live on the college lot bring the kids as well so that the family is not seperated
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    SeanT346SeanT346 Posts: 307 Member
    edited September 2013
    blunote00 wrote:
    Basically, I guess my question is why would you even want these two expansions just to not send them anywhere? Sorry but I don't understand the purpose of your thread.

It's not that I don't want university or vacations. I do enjoy the experience of getting to play my Sims in a university environment or getting them to go on vacations and adventures.

But sometimes my Sim will receive a wish to go to college and I will consider it and then think..."Ugh, I want to send this specific Sim to college so he can get his degree but I'd prefer to focus in on the whole household and I don't want to focus in specifically on this Sim who wants to go off to university" or sometimes my Sim will have a wish to travel to Egypt and I'll think "Well I want them to have a honeymoon, I have enough money to send them off on a honeymoon but I don't want to follow them around Egypt, I want to focus on what their single room-mate gets up to while they are away".

There are times when I really enjoy playing through my university household and getting my Sims to go to class and make new friends in a sub-world. And there are times I enjoy taking my Sim out of their normal environment and have them explore something more exotic, either in a relaxed vacation sense or on adventures. But the problem with these modes of gameplay is that they are so separate from what goes on in the main neighbourhood and they are also quite time consuming. Now, I enjoy taking the time to play these modes when I'm in the mood but sometimes I would just like to stay in the main neighbourhood and focus on the other Sims and let the Sims who want to get a university education or go on holidays do that without me having to take my focus taken away from the main neighbourhood or my other Sims in the household.

I would like either this feature or a feature that allows us to switch between both neighbourhoods more freely. For example, I was playing the Bachelors in The Sims 3. I sent Michael off to college. I then took control of Michael for his 4 terms of college...which honestly got a little dull and repetitive after a while. I want to send Bella off to college too but I'm kind of dreading it because I will once again have to focus in on just one specific member of the family again and have no way of switching back to the other Sims in that household. Ideally, I would like ease of access to jump between both the main world and sub-worlds like the vacation and university sub-worlds so that I can have more versatility.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited September 2013
    SeanT346 wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:

It's not that I don't want university or vacations. I do enjoy the experience of getting to play my Sims in a university environment or getting them to go on vacations and adventures.

But sometimes my Sim will receive a wish to go to college and I will consider it and then think..."Ugh, I want to send this specific Sim to college so he can get his degree but I'd prefer to focus in on the whole household and I don't want to focus in specifically on this Sim who wants to go off to university" or sometimes my Sim will have a wish to travel to Egypt and I'll think "Well I want them to have a honeymoon, I have enough money to send them off on a honeymoon but I don't want to follow them around Egypt, I want to focus on what their single room-mate gets up to while they are away".

There are times when I really enjoy playing through my university household and getting my Sims to go to class and make new friends in a sub-world. And there are times I enjoy taking my Sim out of their normal environment and have them explore something more exotic, either in a relaxed vacation sense or on adventures. But the problem with these modes of gameplay is that they are so separate from what goes on in the main neighbourhood and they are also quite time consuming. Now, I enjoy taking the time to play these modes when I'm in the mood but sometimes I would just like to stay in the main neighbourhood and focus on the other Sims and let the Sims who want to get a university education or go on holidays do that without me having to take my focus taken away from the main neighbourhood or my other Sims in the household.

I would like either this feature or a feature that allows us to switch between both neighbourhoods more freely. For example, I was playing the Bachelors in The Sims 3. I sent Michael off to college. I then took control of Michael for his 4 terms of college...which honestly got a little dull and repetitive after a while. I want to send Bella off to college too but I'm kind of dreading it because I will once again have to focus in on just one specific member of the family again and have no way of switching back to the other Sims in that household. Ideally, I would like ease of access to jump between both the main world and sub-worlds like the vacation and university sub-worlds so that I can have more versatility.
    I see what you're saying. :wink: There should be more options available for both depending on the type of household you're playing. :P
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited September 2013
    I aprove of sending sims to college offscreen.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited September 2013
    It wouldn't bother me if it was there optionally... but isn't following your Sim to Uni/on vacation kind of the whole point of the Uni/Vacation EPs?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Callum9432 wrote:
    It wouldn't bother me if it was there optionally... but isn't following your Sim to Uni/on vacation kind of the whole point of the Uni/Vacation EPs?

That's true but I'm not asking for the vacations/university to take place completely offscreen. I'm just asking for the option to allow us to continue to focus on the main household while allowing us to send other Sims can go off and attempt to get their degree or enjoy a relaxing/horrific/thrilling vacation or adventure. Basically, I would like the option to either follow and control what my Sim is doing in the vacation/university world or allow that Sim to fulfil/attempt to fulfil an involved goal/activity offscreen while I focus on the rest of the household.
  • Options
    pegasas1993pegasas1993 Posts: 4,856 Member
    edited September 2013
    Having such an option doesn't sound like a bad idea :) I would like to have it too :mrgreen:
  • Options
    StephenTMStephenTM Posts: 908 Member
    edited September 2013
    I'd only like this option if it came with a negative. Such as if you send them to university without controlling them they come back with a C grade by default, instead of the potential A they could have gotten had you cared enough to control them yourself.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    StephenTM wrote:
    I'd only like this option if it came with a negative. Such as if you send them to university without controlling them they come back with a C grade by default, instead of the potential A they could have gotten had you cared enough to control them yourself.

I do agree that there needs to be a negative as well as a positive. Perhaps traits would assume what grade your Sim would get if you're not controlling them. For example, a Genius Workaholic Sim would more likely get an A while a Lazy Party Animal Sim would more likely get an F. Chance cards could come into play too while your inactive Sims are on holiday or at university so that you can have a less hands-on involvement in their control.
  • Options
    simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited September 2013
    I like this idea a lot!

I also would like the option to place a community college in this game... I go to community college, i still live at home. It could be a nice way to still play through our sims going to college while still being in the main hood... There would be less things to do college wise, but i wouldnt mind xD. There could be some campus activites on the lot.
  • Options
    gmgargmgar Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited September 2013
    You make a good point...the whole household is on standby until that one sim comes home.

I would like this option as well. Good idea Op.
  • Options
    AlmightyCarolynAlmightyCarolyn Posts: 139 Member
    edited September 2013
    I've always wanted this option but I didn't think anyone else did. I'm glad other people like this idea!