Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Weird, ugly edges when placing lots?

I just love CAW, except for one thing...When I place my lots they often got "edges" around them when I look at them in gamemode. The ground outside the lot is higher and lower around the edges, look really weird...:(

Ive tried "Conform edges" like a million times but really, nothing at all happens!?
Anyone else having this problem? What can I do? Please! :)

Comments

• Options
    LorentzdotterLorentzdotter Posts: 12
    edited June 2010
    It looks like this: screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    edited June 2010
    I think it's a common problem, at least I often see those edges. Together with street tears they are the only reason why I don't quit my job and start creating worlds all day long :-)

If the lot is near a road or near world decor objects, it can some times help to move those objects a little away. But mostly I need to smooth/flatten, just use a small brush with little effect. It takes forever though and often it turns out bad anyway. The biggest problem with both lot edges and street tears is that what you see in CAW is not what you see in the game.

One world I uploaded (beta) had a street that looked okay in CAW, but in my game there was a tear. Then someone posted a picture from their version, and I noticed the street tear was somewhere else! So, if you reinstall a world, edges and tears might turn out slightly differently. The easiest is to have 100% flat ground wherever there are lots. Or simply to learn to ignore those edges. I often place a fence or shrubs to cover up a little. Sims can cross rather big lot edges with no problem, it just looks a bit bad.

PS: Your image is too wide, try to resize it...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimRealtorSimRealtor Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited June 2010
    Yup this will happen. If you find a way to build a world and escape this issue, PLEASE be sure to inform me because in all of the worlds I've built I haven't. So how do I fix them? I try the following things and if it still does not work I give up and try to disguise them - remember even the worlds that EA built have these issues.

- With the move lot tool double click the lot so it refreshes... I always start with this because the conform edges too often creates a road tear and odd lot shapes.

- Try moving the lot over a bit and then back to its place.

- Try smoothing it out and then double clicking to refresh.

- Try deleting the lot, smoothing out the location where the edge is and replace the lot.

- If alongside the beach, you will likely have it with lots close together so try moving them apart further.

As of right now I am pretty sure those are the only steps that I have found to work. Sometimes as a last resort I will use the conform edges button but then be sure to see if it made a road tear in which case you will likely have to choose which is the lesser of two evils.

If all else fails a small lot edge can easily be hidden with bulrushes :)

Good luck!
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    edited June 2010
    I think it's a common problem, at least I often see those edges. Together with street tears they are the only reason why I don't quit my job and start creating worlds all day long :-)

If the lot is near a road or near world decor objects, it can some times help to move those objects a little away. But mostly I need to smooth/flatten, just use a small brush with little effect. It takes forever though and often it turns out bad anyway. The biggest problem with both lot edges and street tears is that what you see in CAW is not what you see in the game.

One world I uploaded (beta) had a street that looked okay in CAW, but in my game there was a tear. Then someone posted a picture from their version, and I noticed the street tear was somewhere else! So, if you reinstall a world, edges and tears might turn out slightly differently. The easiest is to have 100% flat ground wherever there are lots. Or simply to learn to ignore those edges. I often place a fence or shrubs to cover up a little. Sims can cross rather big lot edges with no problem, it just looks a bit bad.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg