Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Making the premades your own

Note: OC = original character, a sim or story character that you thought up and created yourself

Browsing “Tell me about your OC” posts on tumblr, I got thinking, when exactly is the moment a premade sim or one adopted from a franchise or another player becomes my own sim.

For example after six years of playing him I definitely consider Daniel from Detroit: Become Human my OC. Asked about sims, I’d immediately pick Daniel. He still is fundamentally Daniel, I did not go against his characterisation, but I added too much for him to still be the canon character and he also often acts based on experiences he made in my sims game, not in his original one.

In the beginning of my Batuu save I wouldn’t have picked Armitage for OC questions, since he was only borrowed from Star Wars. By now, however, Armitage has evolved and turned into a sim of my own. I’d feel comfortable including him in OC asks now.

Can you tell when your perception of sims you adopted changed from “the premade” to “my sim”? (I can’t, but maybe your answers will give me an idea.)
Currently playing: Castaway Challenge

Comments

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,127 Member
    edited April 26
    I don't consider premade sims OC
    Not for myself anyway

like for example Vlad is not OC as he is in everyones game neither is Judith for same reason
    but I might consider their children (Vladislava, Judas, Lucy) to be OCs as they do not exist in the game without my input

then again I still kind of feel like they don't count as OC as much as say Simmingal
    like if someone asked me about my OCs then id probably show them the ones I have created from scratch
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    MrPlumbobMrPlumbob Posts: 339 Member
    In the story I'm currently playing, I'm using a lot of the premades. My sim, Monica Sharpe, is married to Jeb Harris, a premade, her best friend is Summer Holiday, another premade. Quite a few more premades are also featured in my story as well.

Personally, I feel like I have to "get to know" a sim before I consider them mine. Take Jeb Harris for example. By default, he lived in Evergreen Harbor with his family, and he wore a bag on his head.

In my story, I explored the reason why he wore his bag, and how he overcame his shyness. Until he was a character in my story, I never really played with him, and the only reason he ended up in the story was because he was a student at the highschool when my sim was a teen. From there, he just kind of developed into my own character. I changed his traits a little, moved him and his family to a farm in Willow Creek, and now he and Monica live in Chestnut Ridge on a ranch.

I would say my Jeb Harris is definitely different from how he started out, as is my Summer Holiday, who was born into a wealthy family and just graduated culinary school.

Some premades, no matter how much I play them, just never really seem like mine. They kind of feel like strangers to me lol. I guess it takes time, and the right inspiration to find their characters sometimes.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,065 Member
    When something profoundly bizarre happens to them in my game :)
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,198 Member
    imo premades can be OC , depends on how much your gameplay or story changes them.

For example in my game, my story, I used Keala Hoapili as one of the main characters. But she was already in my story with so different background than in anyone's game when pressing new save, that she was already my character by then. Just how I felt anyway.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,508 Member
    edited April 26
    I generally don't play with premades and a big reason is that they don't fee like my own characters. I do have preferences for some premades to be my sims (best) friends but they are back ground characters.

There is one exception : Kiyoshi Ito. He stumbled into the life of my supersim and I allowed them to fall in love because I believed him to be a townie, not a premade. By the time I realised my mistake, I didn't want to let him go anymore.

The main reasons why he feels like my own is because he has been through some changes, he is no longer the same sim as the Kiyoshi in a fresh save. The chances of any other player to have Kiyoshi in the same position with similar history and accomplishments as in my game is extremely unlikely. He and his parents have quit fame altogether. He has grown up to be an adult, he became a werewolf, he graduated from university and finished a few aspirations like jungle Explorer, extreme sports enthusiasts and fresh chef. He currently lives on a ranch in Chestnut Ridge and wears a magically charged ring. He is engaged to my supersim and will soon start a family with her.

Some pictures of 'my' version of Kiyoshi
    1l1kbqy.png
    Kiyoshi with the love of his life, she is the one who brought him into the pool of sims that feel as my own.

Et8kGGe.png
    Hard at work at the ranch to train for the ultimate championship

1wTvdv2.png
    Showing his true nature during a trip in Glimmerbrook
    Post edited by Atreya33 on
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,144 Member
    I never play the premade households unless I'm there to torture them :wink:

I guess it's because I like CAS, and like creating my own sims
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,369 Member
    MrPlumbob wrote: »
    Some premades, no matter how much I play them, just never really seem like mine. They kind of feel like strangers to me lol. I guess it takes time, and the right inspiration to find their characters sometimes.
    Good point! For me George Cahill is one of those sims that never made the transiition to OC. I use him so often, added lore to him and like him quite a lot, but always in the awareness that he's not "mine".

I was wondering if maybe the amount of projecting or identifying with a sim plays a part in me considering them my own. That would explain my adoptees Daniel, Gavin, Tina, Hank and Armitage, but unfortunately not Jacques Villareal and the Renegades, with whom I have nothing in common.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    MrPlumbobMrPlumbob Posts: 339 Member
    MrPlumbob wrote: »
    Good point! For me George Cahill is one of those sims that never made the transiition to OC. I use him so often, added lore to him and like him quite a lot, but always in the awareness that he's not "mine".

I was wondering if maybe the amount of projecting or identifying with a sim plays a part in me considering them my own. That would explain my adoptees Daniel, Gavin, Tina, Hank and Armitage, but unfortunately not Jacques Villareal and the Renegades, with whom I have nothing in common.

The Calientes (except for Don and Dina), the Landgraabs, and the Goths, are like George Cahill is to you, I just never feel like they're "mine."

As for the second part of your reply, that may definitely be the case. I think being able to relate to a character/sim definitely makes a difference.

I do tend to project / identify with a lot of my sims, or at least, I think I do. I think a lot of us do. After all, much like an author, actor, etc. or really any piece of creative work, they are sort of still a part of us in a way since we created/adopted them, I think.

Your reply also made me think of something else as well. You mentioned Jacques Villarreal, who happens to be one of my favorite premades.

I wouldn't consider Jacques my OC at all, as I always play him very much as I believe EA intended him to be played. The funny thing is, I have absolutely nothing in common with Jacques either, and honestly, I wouldn't change his character. I like him the way he is, even if he's not "mine"

The only thing I changed about him is adding lore regarding what happened to his wife, and that he's a vampire, but I feel like that's still kind of "in character" for him.

I don't know why I enjoy playing him so much. I think he's just an interesting character, possibly because he's so different from me.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,401 Member
    edited April 27
    I mostly make and play with my own sims. But occasionally a premade gets involved as a friend or (even more rarely) a love interest. I think as long as they are in a different household and I don't have control over them they don't feel like my character. Moving them in and being able to choose what they do kind of changes them in my mind to be treated as one of my own characters. That's the point that I would say is where they become more "mine" in the story.

One of the reasons I don't tend to play much with premades is it feels weird to see them doing other things, falling in love with other sims, etc. in other players stories and screenshots. I tend to keep them mostly marginal in my games because of this. My sims interact with them, but they don't tend to become important.

A few exceptions have been:
    -Morgyn Ember (the only spellcaster in the magic realm who didn't have an angry reaction to my very shy alien spellcaster at first, so they became good friends)
    -Paka'a Uha (engaged to my merman because it was just love at first sight)
    -Brent Hecking (kept showing up to visit and I eventually invented a backstory of him being childhood best friends with my sim)
    -Erwin Pries (I just like him)
    -Vlad Straud (Sometimes I need a creepy old fashioned vampire, and he just fits the bill so nicely)

On the other hand, there have been lots of randomly generated townies who have gotten deeply involved with sims, because I saw them, thought they had interesting potential, and incorporated them into my plans. These usually do feel like my own characters because, even though I didn't make them initially, they still only exist in my own game.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".