Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Still Haven't Purchased FOR RENT, but I want to.....

Is it good for just playing like an apartment complex or hotel? That's all I really want is the ability to have several people inhabit a lot LIKE NEIGHBORS instead of a whole household. Seriously want this, but I hear conflicting stories.

Comments

• Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    Sadly, the pack is pretty much broken at the moment. I would wait till they release some more fixes. I'm still waiting too. :/
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    My Sims 4 For Rent is finally working better. It's so nice to be able to change a new world again. I just love Tomarang now. ;)
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    honestly it's like other packs that were "broken" some had more minor experiences than others did I didn't see some problems that people mentioned and I wasn't using the cheat to expand how many rental spaces you could have so I didn't mess up my game that way either. So, as far as I know it is still acting as it should. I would say look and see if you can find some lets play posted after the patch to see if you can see for yourself but if you're really unsure fair to wait a bit longer to see if anything is reported. :)
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Does anyone know if having 18 or so rentals still wonks the game? I know people were running into issues with that without using the cheat.

I really wanted the pack but intended to use a lot of rentals, so it would defeat the purpose if I got it and couldn't make use of it for my needs.

I don't think I'd dare to use the cheat at this point considering how many problems the pack had right out the gate, just to be safe.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    MomsBusyMomsBusy Posts: 74 Member
    The only issues I've had have come with owning the apartment complex, and even those haven't been so bad that I wouldn't want to have the pack.
    As far as using apartments like hotels, I've done this and it does feel like staying in a hotel with the only exception being that you have to move the family into the "hotel room" since the game mechanics see it as an apartment, not a hotel room. So you have to "live" in that space for a week and more or less pretend it's a hotel. I'm hoping for actual hotels this year.
    I've played several families living in residential rentals and it is nice because the neighbors hang out in the shared spaces.
  • Options
    MomsBusyMomsBusy Posts: 74 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Does anyone know if having 18 or so rentals still wonks the game? I know people were running into issues with that without using the cheat.

I really wanted the pack but intended to use a lot of rentals, so it would defeat the purpose if I got it and couldn't make use of it for my needs.

I don't think I'd dare to use the cheat at this point considering how many problems the pack had right out the gate, just to be safe.

I don't have any lots with more than 6 rentals on the lot. Across the various worlds I have dozen or do residential rentals so probably close to 50 rental spaces total. I haven't had issues with the rental spaces. The events involved with running an apartment seem totally random so no matter what you do you can't make your tenants happy.
    Since downloading for rent I've had a few other issues begin in my game. Retail no longer works, I can't download 64×64 lots into my game anymore bc the game totally crashes when I try but this could be memory related, I just bought more so we will see. I've had some crashing when using the gallery but my internet is being weird so that might not be game related either.
    All that to say, I have no regrets in purchasing the pack and feel confident in recommending it.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,975 Member
    I haven’t really played since they fixed many of the major issues with 4 rent, as I have been busy doing other things lately. But, I did test out the lots to see if lots could be changed from residential rental to residential, and that works now!. I wouldn’t use it as a hotel as you have to move the family in and out, but playing a lot as different rental homes in a neighborhood seems like that would work fine. You could even have a community pool, neighborhood laundry, and “sort of” mini recreation center in your neighborhood community if you want.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I tried to move my family into an apartment today that I had built from scratch and fully furnished - I successfully placed some NPCs in next door but my family ended up with no furniture :( I had selected to move into it 'furnished' and it deducted about 15K from the family funds to pay for the furniture but then the apartment was empty and they had about 4K left to furnish a whole apartment.

Quit without saving, restarted the game, same thing happened.

I give up with the For Rent apartments... sigh. AND the doors still don't drop with cut-away walls.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    edited March 10
    I have been playing it without any problems at least none I have noticed that affect my save I use. Other than the fact that the landlord is extremely lazy and tends to spend his day either in his garden or lounging in the pool. The tenants do socialize fairly often (for some reason in the laundry room) But they also show up at the pool as well. I think my only annoyance is they drop by the landlords suite uninvited at times. Hmm Maybe thats because he is always doing something else instead of taking care business!
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Katzc wrote: »
    Is it good for just playing like an apartment complex or hotel? That's all I really want is the ability to have several people inhabit a lot LIKE NEIGHBORS instead of a whole household. Seriously want this, but I hear conflicting stories.

My experience had sims from other apartments invading my sim's apartment.
    Perhaps it was just this one building, but if that is the norm, it defeats the whole purpose of the pack.
    I could just build an apartment building without the pack to experience that. :D
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    Please, please be careful.
    For Rent introduces a bug that has a tendency to max out the memory on some people's computers and cause not only crashing but complete corruption of people's saves.
    Here is a list of the For Rent bugs so you can check them out for yourself and make your own choice--

The most severe For Rent bug: complete corruption of game
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-Orange-Exclamation-signs-over-lots-Houses-disappear/m-p/10533991

Other bugs:

Aspirations

[OPEN] [FR] Can't Complete Buy Shirt at Night Market Goal if Already Bought
    [OPEN] [FR] Maintenance event doesn't tick off

Bills/Money/Royalty

[NEEDS SAVES] [FR] Can't Pay Bills (Tenant)
    [OPEN] [FR] Impossibly High Rent
    [NEEDS SAVES] [FR] Justly evicting and still being fined
    [WORKAROUND] [FR] Low rent max
    [NEEDS SAVES] [FR] Tenants wont pay rent

Categorisation/Filter/Swatch/Description

[OPEN] [FR] 'Do You Be-leaf in Concrete?' Swatch mismatch

Collectibles

[OPEN] [FR] No new marble after 'Playing for keeps'

Food/Drink/Food Stalls

[OPEN] [CL] [FR] Picking up a serving of veggie chili turn serving into 8 serving
    [OPEN] [FR] Pressure cooker food made by sims with the fresh chef trait spoils

Misc Inventories

[OPEN] Items in Fridge, Bookshelf & Toybox Disappear on R-Residential

Moodlets

[OPEN] [FR] Constantly dirty surroundings moodlet from Pressure Cooker and Kettle

Objects: General

[OPEN] Residential Rental: Tenants can't send items on Plopsy/Trendi

Presser Cooker/Heater/Kettle

[OPEN] Kettle and Pressure Cooker randomly Disappearing from Lot/HH inventory
    [OPEN] No option to instant upgrade kettles and pressure cookers with Handy trait

Property Manager

[NEEDS SAVES] Landlord still owns property/Tenants still present after death
    [OPEN] Property ownership not recognized in owned rental tab
    [NEEDS SAVES] Rental units duplicated in Owned Business tab

Rental Event

[WORKAROUND] Electrical Failure: Broken Pressure cooker prevents event from completing
    [OPEN] Explosive Malfunction can't be resolved as nothing can be replaced
    [OPEN] Pet/Charity Drive excessively long
    [OPEN] Rental Protest unsolveable
    [OPEN] Tenant Revolts still happen when Rental Unit Events are disabled

Residential Rental

[OPEN] Doors in App./Dorms stay visible on lowering walls
    [OPEN] Households funds stay same when transferring money
    [OPEN] Landlord - Unable to Build/Edit owned lot
    [OPEN] Residential Rental Lot Name Keeps Reverting to Default Lot Name
    [OPEN] Sims on Residential Rental Lots Entering Each others homes
    [NEEDS SAVES] Tenant Vacated but still cant re-rent, edit, or change lot type

For links to the threads in detail see here
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-reported-Issues/m-p/13277181#M262242
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    I just got it a few weeks ago and haven't had any major issues. I just play as a tenant though. The lot events can be annoying, but also remind me of my time as a renter. The landlord either doesn't show up to fix things or ignores them and has you fix it and just reimburses you for it. Yet they act like their rental is the creme de la creme. My sim just moved out and into a dorm for university though.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,040 Member
    For me the pack has worked well. I have played several versions of tenant (but not as landlord) and move my NPCs into other apartments. I see them around, they talk to each other, it feels pretty much like living in the apartments in San Myshuno.

Note:
    • I have not used any cheats for getting more apartments. I stay within the intended limit.
    • Sometimes the UI of who lives in what apartment is broken, but it looks worse than it is, and has not affected game play in any way
    • I have not played in Tomarang at all
    • I did notice that deleting a landlord family means the house is then impossible to edit, rebuild or demolish as the house can't be sold. So if you want to delete a landlord, make them sell the property first.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    The only issue I'm having is with lot names. Any lots that I build rentals on, the name reverts to whatever it was before I built there. I've resorted to keeping a list of what they game calls them and what they are supposed to be named in notes on my phone so I can fix them if they ever fix the bug.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,040 Member
    @lisamwitt I've found that if you edit the lot name the first apartment as you build it, so that each subsequent rental unit has the same name, it stays the one you picked for it. If not, you can go back and edit the name for each unit so that they match, then it will stick. Or at least they have for me.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    JAL wrote: »
    @lisamwitt I've found that if you edit the lot name the first apartment as you build it, so that each subsequent rental unit has the same name, it stays the one you picked for it. If not, you can go back and edit the name for each unit so that they match, then it will stick. Or at least they have for me.

I changed the lot names before building and named each unit as it was built. When the names reverted, I changed them back, saved the lot to the library with the correct names, then placed the saved lots. The names appeared fine at first, then when I revisited them, I discovered the names had reverted.

I decided to go in today to see if it was fixed. The issue just seems to be a little different now. When I looked at the lots in worldview the lot and unit names were correct. When I went into the lots, the lot names were correct on some and had reverted on others. The unit names on all of them had reverted back to what the game wants to call them. I fixed them all again, and the same thing happened. Correct in worldview, incorrect on the lots.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    I'm wondering about this too! Has anyone had any non-buggy experience playing as an owner?
  • Options
    miklcmiklc Posts: 3,110 Member
    I bought For Rent during the first week of release but didn't have much time to actually play the game or explore the features when I first got my hands on it. Then I read all of the issues people were having including save breaking glitches and I've pretty much been scared to play since.

My game is fully patched and I updated all of my mods during the last patch but still been scared to do anything aside from open the game and check out the assets from the pack. I've read mixed things since the most recent Crystal Creations patch/hot fix - is it finally safe to play?

I am itching to get back into my game but scared for my save file as I have been playing the same save since 2020 and really do not want to part ways with it. What have people's recent experiences been?

Thankfully Dreamlight Valley has been filling my sims void in the interim!
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 16
    They hotfixed the urgent new bugs. But it's always a good idea to have a backups of your Saves files, going back farther than the ones the game makes itself and outside your Saves folder. Then you're rarely stuck starting completely over again. A broken save can have many, many different causes and some are inevitably still around.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CaerfinonCaerfinon Posts: 633 Member
    @miklc I patched my game yesterday. I waited until the mods I used where either updated or cleared for the new version. I don't have the new packs installed and my game is working just fine.
    Cheers
    C.
    Traits: 🐶Dog Lover, 🎨Creative, 😑Loner
    Social Media: 🐘@caerfinon@mastodon.social | My Stories: 🤷🏻🐕 Simmer Tales a comic look at Sims 4 | 🌐A Sim's Life - Comic observations
    My CC: 🎨 Jac related CAS and Build CC | 🖼️ Film Noir Wall Decorations | 👩🎨Pauline King Art
  • Options
    Thank you @luthienrising and @Caerfinon for your responses, it is appreciated!

I do always create a back-up of my save files in the sense I always "Save As" and add a number, rotating between 1-20. Although admittedly I am not great at saving a version outside of the game files. I should get into a habit of doing this.

In terms of the For Rent and Crystal Creations gameplay for those that have the packs, are they working as they should?

Is it safe to create/own/live in rental lots now? I'm really keen to start exploring the EP but will wait off longer if I need too.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I have created and lived in the rental units with no issues, I tried owning rentals and just found I didn't enjoy it so I didn't do it for long, I didn't have any issues while I owned the rental, but as I didn't do it for long I don't want to say it works as intended. Living in and creating though I had lots of fun with those aspects and they worked just fine for me.
  • Options
    Thanks for responding @Sara1010P, that’s one of the things that excites me the most the creative aspect of having many different types of apartments across the various worlds.

I bottled up the courage and played a test run of the game with one of my longstanding households last night, everything seemed to worth well aside from some minor lag. Although didn’t touch any gameplay from For Rent or Crystal Creations yet.
  • Options
    KatzcKatzc Posts: 506 Member
    Thanks guys for all the great responses.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    Katzc wrote: »
    Thanks guys for all the great responses.

To answer your original question, can it be used like a hotel, yes. I've even made a trailer park into "apartments".

This lot originally I wanted more as a "hotel" type setting with mainly bedrooms but a shared common area. I've tested it and it works!
    IieDJDt.png

"L" is the Landlord, "R" is the Rentals. You don't have to have a "Landlord", if you don't, the game creates an abstract NPC like in City Living.
    I had the bathrooms attached to the 'apartments' then decided to change that to shared area. I'll be reworking the bathrooms though since it's a bit silly set up now that there can be private rooms that technically are separate lots on the same lot.

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png