The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should previous Sims 1, 2 and 3 be updated to play easily?

PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
As I move on and up in age, now retired for sometime, and been playing PC games for 30+ years and been playing the Sims since the Sims 1. I wonder what others think about previous Sim games and wanting to play them on newer technology?

Films and Music is digitally updated so we can continue to listen and watch them. We can still do that much of the time. Shouldn't this be the same for PC games? Why don't games get updated to play on newer systems? Why is it so hard to update them to play on newer systems and do the publishers think the effort is not worth it? Do people no longer have desktop PC and rely on pads or phones? I guess I am wanting to play my older games on my new computer desktop! There is nothing like a good PC desktop with a good monitor for a point and click gaming experience! I feel sorry for the younger generation who have missed out on so many great point and click adventure/puzzle/simulation games on the PC.

The worse thing about bringing out newer software, updating operating systems, is that we can no longer play our beloved games easily. Not without most of the time jumping through hoops to try and get them to work, or having the old technology to play them. I used to love buying a game with a disk, installing it and not having to buy online and downloading. Downloading can at times take forever! There was something about owning a box with a DVD in it and being able to install it. I understand that they can get damaged and appreciate a way not to play without a disk in some ways, but having a disk to me outweighs downloading. So much faster when things go wrong and an full install needs to be done.

For me there is nothing like the older games, especially the point and click. I loved playing the Sims 1 and 2 and although I can play the Sims 2 on my EA App is is not quite the same as having all my EP's and other stuff installed for the Sims 2. I went back to playing the Sims 3 for a time because I found the Sims 4 had too much depth, too much content, and it wasn't how I wanted to play my game. I keep up to date as much as I can with my Sims 4 but lack the mojo at times to play it!

I would love to get back to playing the Sims 4 as I did with the Sims 1 & 2. Maybe I just have to accept those days are gone. Less is more or so they say. There is something for knowing a game inside out to make the game how you want to play and not how we are directed to play.

Funny enough when I was playing the Sims 2 I wanted more expansions, more things added but it wasn't to be. And then the Sims 3 was brought out, not the same as the Sims 2, and for me not as addictive as the Sims 2. And now we have the Sims 4 with all this content, but not half as addictive as the Sims 2 was. It's a shame as being a Sim player all this time I wish I had the motivation to play more!

We are forced into accepting things that makers of newer technology dictate. We have no say and this ultimately has an impact on waste and our environment, with companies continually updating technology for us to buy new and upgrade. We should be able to play older games and those companies responsible should update so we can contine to play them on newer technogy.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Definitely.

There are SimCity titles that are older than TS1 on EA/Origin, so age is not an excuse.

I have the 2009 Double Deluxe issue of TS2, and even that's a hassle on a modern PC. First of all, I have to use an external disk drive, and I have to set up Administrator mode to even get it to install, and even for Windows to run it

Plus disks don't age well.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,135 Member
    edited December 2023
    should have TS1 and 2 complete collections available to download through EA app people end up downloading those from such dodgy places cause there is no good place to get those anymore

(yeah they had the promotion that made ts2 available for some but rest of us for some reason cannot have it? at all? so frustrating.)

at least my ps2 still works *knock wood*
    so I can play the old sims ps2 games i have

but yeah I don't have any way to use my pc game discs anymore with not having the disc slot and i doubt it would run too well on new computers

I kind of wonder if creating mini consoles (like how theres the mini nintendo now) would bypass the issue of machine - game incompatibility but yeah idk i doubt that will ever happen
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,193 Member
    I would love to play Sims 2 on EA App PC. I've never played Sims 2 except for Sims 2 Castaway on Wii. However, my daughter has Sims 2 on Playstation 4 & says it has some fun play stuff that Sims 3 & 4 never had.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 572 Member
    edited December 2023
    Mac users can get Sims 2 Super Collection on the App store and it’s updated to play well on current Mac models (at least it does on mine). It’s not the complete collection because not everything was released for Mac, but it does have all the packs that were made for Mac. I love going back to it from time to time — it’s still so good. But it’s owned by Aspyr and not EA.

Also, I just remembered that Sims 3 was updated for Mac users about 2020 so that it can still run on newer machines — although I wouldn’t say that Sims 3 plays well. I play it a lot still, but it does require a lot of careful handling, some essential mods, and a load of patience.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 790 Member
    Yes,and they all should be rebooted as well. The games would not be so frustrating to play(I loved Sims 1 but it bugged me that I had to have mods just to keep Sims needs up), and Sims 3 would have better-looking Sims(no more of the pudding-faced blobby-nosed Sims that look alike).
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    Rob1992Rob1992 Posts: 57 Member
    > @FreddyFox1234 said:
    > Mac users can get Sims 2 Super Collection on the App store and it’s updated to play well on current Mac models (at least it does on mine). It’s not the complete collection because not everything was released for Mac, but it does have all the packs that were made for Mac. I love going back to it from time to time — it’s still so good. But it’s owned by Aspyr and not EA.
    >
    > Also, I just remembered that Sims 3 was updated for Mac users about 2020 so that it can still run on newer machines — although I wouldn’t say that Sims 3 plays well. I play it a lot still, but it does require a lot of careful handling, some essential mods, and a load of patience.

They can, but iirc it's only a few of the expansions and not created or condoned by EA?
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,045 Member
    Fully agree that the older sims games should be updated to run on current machines and released. Even if need to pay for them, discount if can prove own the originals. I am fortunate in having full sets of disks for all three of the older games and an old XP machine to play them on. Not everyone is so fortunate, which is why we need that new release. It's a win-win for everyone. Veteran players get to be reunited with the games they love, a vast new market of players who never knew the old games will be opened up, and EA gets not only tons of good will but added revenue.
  • Options
    You don't even need to modify much. the games do run. the sims 1 needs to be run in windowed mode because it has no concept of the resolutions we play at these days. And 2 just needs a minor compatibilty patch to run on systems who no longer support DX9. 3 is just a product of it's time and would take a lot of effort of a team who has no clue how the game was made (remember, old maxis is gone) to completely rewrite it to take advantage of modern systems.
    Well that and you'd basically break every mod in existance and might *also* have to rework all the store content.
  • Options
    pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 541 Member
    I personally have The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 on the app...and some of The Sims 4. I started out with the original game...and would absolutely love it on the app! The hours spent played would totally be worth it!
    Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,120 Member
    It would be so nice to be able to play the older games for the nostlgia. I'm suprised with something as popular as The Sims that it hasn't happened.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    It makes sense to remaster those if the demand is there. It's not really for me, personally, but I'd support the remastering because I know those games continue to have a loyal fanbase.

I've played the other versions but I like my TS4 game. I would probably play 4 and Rene simultaneously if the new version interests me and if they don't "end" TS4. It's too early for me to commit with certainty to Rene because I don't have the details. I don't plan to move on from my 4 game for a while longer but who knows? I do think they should come out with a new open world version since there's so much demand. I agree that it probably makes sense to remaster the old games for players who still want to play those versions. That makes more sense than making a new version that just copies older ones.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,920 Member
    I paid a fortune for Sims 1,2 and 3 plus all the game manuals as well. I sometimes feel that it's Microsoft's fault as well as Maxis/EAs. No wonder people didn't want to get rid of their Windows XP machines. That OS was more sympathetic to older games and even Windows 7 was ok.
    Nowadays Microsoft just admits airily that some of our games won't play on Windows 10 or 11. Grrh. :s:'(
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,193 Member
    It would be nice if EA App would recognize Sims 3 Store Contents.
    Also, I wouldn't mind if EA App brought back Sims 2. I've only experienced Sims 3 & 4, but have heard that Sims 2 had way more fun gameplay than Sims 3 & 4.
  • Options
    barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    I agree 100% with the OP. I would love to have Sims2 updated. I enjoy Sims4, but the series seems to be aging backward as I age forward. Sims4 is targeted to a younger audience than Sims2 was and the people who played that game are 20 years older, now.
    I would love a Sims game that plays like 2 with the best parts of 4 thrown in - like some of the building and CAS tools, the way the Vampires were done, etc.
  • Options
    I agree 100% with the OP. I would love to have Sims2 updated. I enjoy Sims4, but the series seems to be aging backward as I age forward. Sims4 is targeted to a younger audience than Sims2 was and the people who played that game are 20 years older, now.
    I would love a Sims game that plays like 2 with the best parts of 4 thrown in - like some of the building and CAS tools, the way the Vampires were done, etc.

I wouldn't say it's aimed at a younger generation, It's just aimed at a different generation and kind of gamers. You probably have heard more then one person say "i disliked the older games because you were so busy keeping your mood up that you couldn't do anything else", even tho largely that wasn't even the case past the initial start where you had to live off of appliances with a low score in whatever you needed from it.
    And personally i prefer needing to balance needs and things i want to do. Being able to fill all my needs in the span of 5 sim hours and then have them not decay down to minimum in less then 20 hours would not feel good to me.
  • Options
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    It would be nice if EA App would recognize Sims 3 Store Contents.
    Also, I wouldn't mind if EA App brought back Sims 2. I've only experienced Sims 3 & 4, but have heard that Sims 2 had way more fun gameplay than Sims 3 & 4.

You have heard correctly. In addition, TS2 gives you almost complete control over the world itself, the ability to make new ones, and you can do things in build mode the TS4 one can only dream about. TS2's Body Shop is essentially a make your own CC tool when in comes to the sims themselves & attire.
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    I paid a fortune for Sims 1,2 and 3 plus all the game manuals as well. I sometimes feel that it's Microsoft's fault as well as Maxis/EAs. No wonder people didn't want to get rid of their Windows XP machines. That OS was more sympathetic to older games and even Windows 7 was ok.
    Nowadays Microsoft just admits airily that some of our games won't play on Windows 10 or 11. Grrh. :s:'(

Am a veteran of both DOS and just about every Windows version released and can say from experience that XP is the best of the bunch. User friendly, runs just about everything regardless of age, and not overloaded with apps that not everyone wants.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 976 Member
    Sims 3 is still available at EA App.
    Sims 2 Ultimate Edition is not available now, but is still playable for those who got it. Unfortunately, newer graphic cards are still not supported.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,757 Member
    They should, 4 Years ago EA remastered Command & Conquer Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert and made Command & Conquer Remastered Collection so remasters for old games do happen.

• Options
    Sims 3 is still available at EA App.
    Sims 2 Ultimate Edition is not available now, but is still playable for those who got it. Unfortunately, newer graphic cards are still not supported.

But relatively easy to make work. It's more that the cards don't support the game, not the other way arround.
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    They should, 4 Years ago EA remastered Command & Conquer Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert and made Command & Conquer Remastered Collection so remasters for old games do happen.

Those games were a lot less bloated and buggy then the sims is. They'd need months of fixing to not make it just a crappy port to modern systems. And alledgedly most devs who deeply understand the old games are gone
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,653 Member
    I'd love to see the previous versions of the sims updated. Doubt that it will happen though as it would require a lot of time to keep them up to date each time new technology comes out.

I really loved the cd's as well. So much faster for me to install a game. In my case, I have satellite internet. My house is deemed unserviceable for cable. So when I have to download a game off the internet it literally takes hours. These days, I just start the download before I go to bed and it's ready for me the next morning.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member
    edited January 9
    There's a new job posting, and people Twitter are saying that it could be about supporting legacy Sims titles in a cloud-based format. @RoaringHeights
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,653 Member
    What a great 25th anniversary present that would be for simmers! B)
  • Options
    ShannonMarie_76ShannonMarie_76 Posts: 47 Member
    As I move on and up in age, now retired for sometime, and been playing PC games for 30+ years and been playing the Sims since the Sims 1. I wonder what others think about previous Sim games and wanting to play them on newer technology?

Films and Music is digitally updated so we can continue to listen and watch them. We can still do that much of the time. Shouldn't this be the same for PC games? Why don't games get updated to play on newer systems? Why is it so hard to update them to play on newer systems and do the publishers think the effort is not worth it? Do people no longer have desktop PC and rely on pads or phones? I guess I am wanting to play my older games on my new computer desktop! There is nothing like a good PC desktop with a good monitor for a point and click gaming experience! I feel sorry for the younger generation who have missed out on so many great point and click adventure/puzzle/simulation games on the PC.

The worse thing about bringing out newer software, updating operating systems, is that we can no longer play our beloved games easily. Not without most of the time jumping through hoops to try and get them to work, or having the old technology to play them. I used to love buying a game with a disk, installing it and not having to buy online and downloading. Downloading can at times take forever! There was something about owning a box with a DVD in it and being able to install it. I understand that they can get damaged and appreciate a way not to play without a disk in some ways, but having a disk to me outweighs downloading. So much faster when things go wrong and an full install needs to be done.

For me there is nothing like the older games, especially the point and click. I loved playing the Sims 1 and 2 and although I can play the Sims 2 on my EA App is is not quite the same as having all my EP's and other stuff installed for the Sims 2. I went back to playing the Sims 3 for a time because I found the Sims 4 had too much depth, too much content, and it wasn't how I wanted to play my game. I keep up to date as much as I can with my Sims 4 but lack the mojo at times to play it!

I would love to get back to playing the Sims 4 as I did with the Sims 1 & 2. Maybe I just have to accept those days are gone. Less is more or so they say. There is something for knowing a game inside out to make the game how you want to play and not how we are directed to play.

Funny enough when I was playing the Sims 2 I wanted more expansions, more things added but it wasn't to be. And then the Sims 3 was brought out, not the same as the Sims 2, and for me not as addictive as the Sims 2. And now we have the Sims 4 with all this content, but not half as addictive as the Sims 2 was. It's a shame as being a Sim player all this time I wish I had the motivation to play more!

We are forced into accepting things that makers of newer technology dictate. We have no say and this ultimately has an impact on waste and our environment, with companies continually updating technology for us to buy new and upgrade. We should be able to play older games and those companies responsible should update so we can contine to play them on newer technogy.

I have been playing since Sims 1 as well. I have owned every pack throughout 1,2,3, this is the first sims (4) that I do not own all of the packs, and do not plan to own them all and regret buying many of them. I have not tried to play the Sims 1 since the second was out, and I have tried to play Sims 2 several times, even a couple of years ago and the graphics are so bad, plus after playing 4 where you can multitask it is hard to go backwards lol,
    I think it would be awesome if they made all of the sims series available on EA so that us sim lifers could enjoy them if we want to and so the newer simmers could see where it all started, even if I personally would not play unless the graphics were updated.