Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A few questions about ghost culling!

I'll keep this brief! I stopped playing when I found out my ghosts and ancestors were being deleted, which kinda sucked. So what I want to know:

1) Has the culling stopped via patch or do I need a mod to keep my family connections safe? I don't care if friends or neighbors are deleted, but family members are critical to me.

2) Is this intended? It's been happening for a long time and while the Sims has been great about patching thing quickly I haven't seen this touched. Is it an issue that's taking a while to fix or a design decision?

3) Does this affect the achievement for the legacy achievement? The one you unlock by getting to 10 generations of sims. The culling breaks the family tree, so?

Comments

• Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    edited July 2015
    1. No
    2. They say culling is working as intended but eventually they are going to have to adjust it as more packs get added on. But they might not...
    3. No idea

Here are the mods used to combat culling
    No culling mod: http://modthesims.info/d/545615
    Population count mod: http://modthesims.info/d/535402
    Reduced townie mod: http://modthesims.info/d/535110

It's important to try and keep the population under 180 because it could affect loading times which is what the other two mods are for. Though like I said this is going to become near impossible as more content is released.

And a fair warning, the creator of the No culling mod has expressed lack of interest in the mod and it may become obsolete very soon.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    edited July 2015
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. I haven't had an issue with it, but I have had an issue with moving lots causing a count reset. Not sure if others have experienced that.
  • Options
    CharlemagneCharlemagne Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks so much for the answers!

So, that's a bummer. Using mods makes me nervous. I want the culling to happen and all because TS3 never pruning anything was partially why it ran so terribly, but it's really awkward when ghosts stop appearing, the family tree breaks and friendships with the ghosts are deleted. I guess I'll look into the master controller.
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited July 2015
    to answer your 3rd question, simply going into cas breaks the legacy achievement. I have proved this to a simguru, they responded that what I found was correct and they hope to fix this at some time in the future, but as far as im aware it hasn't been fixed yet.

As far as culling goes, its working how it is expected to work despite the devastating effect it has on legacy players. It is a shining example of how badly thought out this game is. The game imposes a limit of just 180 sims, dead or alive , in your game. If you play a family to just 1 or 2 generations that's not going to affect you too much, but if you play any further than that then the 180 limit is ludicrous
  • Options
    MsPrissy88MsPrissy88 Posts: 3,122 Member
    I've had my first culling. Right now, I am playing the Drifter Challenge game, and just before I finished the second challenge I noticed that the urn that was supposed to be the remains of a sim (in an urn) who had passed during the first challenge, was gone. The remains, not the urn. The urn was still in the same spot where the sim had died, but the name of the person was totally gone.

I thought that the last patch (not whatever recent patch we may have just gotten) was supposed to stop all the culling?
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Options
    Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 622 Member
    I'm scared of losing my sims to this so I typically don't let them age and keep them in the house. Am I correct in assuming that as long as they don't age and I place them in a house somewhere in town, my extended family will not be culled?

Granted, I won't be enjoying any ghosts or anything, but I really just don't want people that I move out to disappear from me.
  • Options
    MsPrissy88 wrote: »
    I've had my first culling. Right now, I am playing the Drifter Challenge game, and just before I finished the second challenge I noticed that the urn that was supposed to be the remains of a sim (in an urn) who had passed during the first challenge, was gone. The remains, not the urn. The urn was still in the same spot where the sim had died, but the name of the person was totally gone.

I thought that the last patch (not whatever recent patch we may have just gotten) was supposed to stop all the culling?

Culling wont stop, its essential to the way the game works, its not going to be fixed very easily. Culling must happen otherwise you will end up with a bloated game file that will be very slow to load. What we need is the ability to selectively mark sims or their urns that must not be culled.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'm scared of losing my sims to this so I typically don't let them age and keep them in the house. Am I correct in assuming that as long as they don't age and I place them in a house somewhere in town, my extended family will not be culled?

Granted, I won't be enjoying any ghosts or anything, but I really just don't want people that I move out to disappear from me.

Living sims as well as dead are subject to culling, they do not need to be dead to be culled. The deciding factor is the 180 limit, once you hit that then sims WILL be culled unless you have the no culling mod installed. To illustrate how ridiculously low the 180 limit is, I made a new game and by day 3 of my brand new sim the town population had risen to in excess of 80 sims. It does not take long to get to the 180 limit

The only sims that are safe from culling are the ones you are actively playing, so putting sims into a non played house makes them a possible subject of culling.
  • Options

Living sims as well as dead are subject to culling, they do not need to be dead to be culled. The deciding factor is the 180 limit, once you hit that then sims WILL be culled unless you have the no culling mod installed. To illustrate how ridiculously low the 180 limit is, I made a new game and by day 3 of my brand new sim the town population had risen to in excess of 80 sims. It does not take long to get to the 180 limit

The only sims that are safe from culling are the ones you are actively playing, so putting sims into a non played house makes them a possible subject of culling.

So even sticking them in a house won't prevent that? Wow, that's crazy! Thank you for your response. I had no idea how fast you would reach the limit but as you have shown, it won't take long at all. If they plan to expand this game with new worlds that number will have to get increased. Surprised they didn't increase it with Newcrest.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member

So even sticking them in a house won't prevent that? Wow, that's crazy! Thank you for your response. I had no idea how fast you would reach the limit but as you have shown, it won't take long at all. If they plan to expand this game with new worlds that number will have to get increased. Surprised they didn't increase it with Newcrest.

Here's a link to the no culling mod if you'd like to try it.

http://modthesims.info/d/545615
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options

Thank you so much for that link.

I was really hoping that we wouldn't have to resort to mods this time around just to fix issues like this. Been down that road with Sims 3 and was wanting this version to be different.

I like mods to enhance and create, not to correct things that should be working already. I'm hopeful that these things are being addressed and will get taken care of soon enough but also glad that we have modders out there staying on top of these things.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member

Thank you so much for that link.

I was really hoping that we wouldn't have to resort to mods this time around just to fix issues like this. Been down that road with Sims 3 and was wanting this version to be different.

I like mods to enhance and create, not to correct things that should be working already. I'm hopeful that these things are being addressed and will get taken care of soon enough but also glad that we have modders out there staying on top of these things.

You're welcome. :)

And I agree completely. I hate having to use mods, even though in 3 (thanks to your awesome tutorial) I loaded up with Nraas. But I was hoping this game would be different. I do have two in game that I've had to have since day one they came out, but others, I try to live without.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Has anyone encountered any problems using the master controller to prevent family culling?
  • Options
    MawMawMawMaw Posts: 99 Member
    It would be so much better if they made it so that the game would only cull sims that you had never interacted with. I don't know if that is at all possible, but you cant miss someone you have never met so that would make more sense. I hate losing family members to ghost culling.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member

Culling wont stop, its essential to the way the game works, its not going to be fixed very easily. Culling must happen otherwise you will end up with a bloated game file that will be very slow to load. What we need is the ability to selectively mark sims or their urns that must not be culled.

No they are going to have fix that limit too. It's too low. I am slowly but surely getting to the point where 180 sims are all mine either created or birthed.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    MawMawMawMaw Posts: 99 Member

No they are going to have fix that limit too. It's too low. I am slowly but surely getting to the point where 180 sims are all mine either created or birthed.

Perhaps they could make it so that people with a higher spec computer can have a higher limit. I only run my game on a laptop so I fear a higher limit would cause lag issues with me, but I see no reason why someone with the capacity to run a game with a higher limit shouldn't be able to.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited July 2015
    And a fair warning, the creator of the No culling mod has expressed lack of interest in the mod and it may become obsolete very soon.

Err... so what are players supposed to do? Hopefully someone else decides to step and and continue updating it for patches because that's a pretty integral mod. Seriously if you play with aging on and plan to play for more than a couple of sim weeks you basically need this mod if you care about relationships staying in tact and sims being able to meet and befriend townies.

Really the last time I played, I created a couple and must have been playing for MAYBE a sim week when I noticed that townies they had meet were disappearing from their relationship panel. There is no way I reached the 180 limit at that point. The game just likes to delete people without a care in the world to how those sims relate to your active families.

As it is, that mod is the only thing that would make me not want to pull my hair out playing the game. Although, I shouldn't have to use a mod to make the game functional and I also shouldn't have to manually go through and delete people constantly to try to avoid the issue. That's no fun to constantly have to interrupt your play to go delete old people or whoever else you don't want clogging up your town. EA needs to step it up and come out with a real solution to this problem.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,417 Member
    edited July 2015
    I haven't used mods to control culling, it's been couple of months now and things are going fine. I manually delete all the townies I don't care for and keep aging off for everyone but active household to avoid extra ghosts. Having no EPs makes it a lot easier, but I've heard it's possible to handle culling without mods even with EPs.

Before I learnt what culling is I had it happen a few times, but it never affected the sims living in houses. So as a precaution I've placed townies I like into houses. Hoping the devs would come up with some sort of fix (at least for sims in family tree & ghosts of played sims).
  • Options
    I'm not sure how or why this happens. If 180 is the top limit, there are certainly dozens of sims I've never met that can be deleted before they delete my sim's family, right?
  • Options
    shinys212shinys212 Posts: 63 Member
    I wish they would add a option to stop the game from generating those horribly dressed same-looking townies. I like to have just my sims in the town.