Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 3 more popular than ever?

OK, we all know the game has had its ups and downs, sure it may not run well on everyone's PCs and you would need mods to survive but lets face it, it is only the most advanced Sims game out there and after the flop that they call 'The Sims 4' it seems everyone is going back to the warm feelings of the open world, brilliant customisation with CASt and of course, those annoying but lovable toddlers...

Back in 2009 TS3 was well ahead of its time, a lot of PCs couldn't handle it, large especially where a drain on RAM but now PCs have caught up and what was once 'a buggy mess' full of those save errors (Can I say that EA never even acknowledged this issue let alone fix it) and seemed to be a 'bare base game' has turned out to be a huge playable success with all EPs, SPs and content.

TS4 will get new content yes, but the game is behind in the times, some things will never be added such as open world and that is a big let down for the series, so while TS3 was ahead of the times and slowly people caught up, TS4 is behind the times and quickly people are leaving it.

So, am I the only one who thinks that The Sims 3 is now at its most popular despite the fact there is a new game out?

Happy Simming :-)
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I really don't know if S4 is behind the times, I only know I don't care for it in almost every respect and I do care for Sims 3.
    So I'll continue playing that game (I also want to try out Sims 2 in the near future for curiosity reasons) and will keep an eye on S4, in case they come up with alterations that'll make the game more appealing for me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    TS3 has changed how I play The Sims. TS4 does not support the way I play The Sims.

I agree with this statement so much. I remember when TS3 was coming out. I jumped so fast to TS3 to TS2, that I kind of missed TS2 a little bit. I've always enjoyed the SIMS and as a player, I think I've grown with the game, however, I have a way that I play, that I developed when playing TS2 and TS4 really doesn't support that. I play this game for the freedom of creativity, in housing, clothing and my SIMS. When I was messing around with the demo, I really didn't like the SIM creation at all.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • Options
    SmiffeeSmiffee Posts: 7 New Member
    @CK213 said:
    TS3 has changed how I play The Sims. TS4 does not support the way I play The Sims.

Ditto!
  • Options
    CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    I never left Sims 3 but I did try 4 for a few weeks and I've since uninstalled it. I don't know if Sims 3 has become more popular or not but I have seen posts from people who are going back to it after trying 4.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Thanks for the feedback. It is nice that I am able to like every single reply
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,237 Member
    I don't see it's popularity waning any time soon, the Sims 3 as it stands is an incredible game. Ok it has years of expansions and mods, whereas Sims 4 doesn't, but I agree with the OP it seems very behind the times, doesn't have anything new to add.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    Hmmm i want to say im just finding a gem and little secrets about the game i never discovered before. So it's renewed my interest in it greatly and im finding new appreciation with the game. As hard as i was on this game sometimes knowing this can get worse gives you a new light.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    edited December 2014
    I just believe it has reached its prime. It was too popular during its early years but now not so much. Not even a lot people pay attention to The Sims franchise anymore.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    The Sims is such an outstanding series, in terms of sales, even if Sims 4 flopped, it would still sell far more than most successful games.

Also you have to look at how a series is selling. For instance, Sims 3 sold more BASE games than Sims 2 or the original Sims. But Sims 2, when you include expansion packs sold more than twice the Sims 3 plus it's expansion packs.

So it's hard to know what to make of that. In other words did people that bought the Sims 3 base game like it so much, they felt no need for expansions? Or did they hate it so much they gave up buying anything else?
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Sims 3 FTW...

Words of truth
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    It is for me. I tried TS4 and hated it.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been enjoying TS3 more than I ever could in the early days before learning to install and use Mods though I can only play the game with 68 NRaas Mod files and over 20 other smaller Mods installed unless I want an unplayable nightmare for a game and I can even play it rotationally like I did in TS2 and still do when I'm playing it on my old computer.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    I am probably in the minority but I play both of the games. The Sims 4 took me forever to find my groove in. I'm not sure I have completely found it. It is HUGE change from all the other Sims games.

The Sims 3 has this extra special place in my heart because of the storytelling aspects of it. It's probably the dumbest thing anyone has ever done, or heard of, but I began telling a legacy story in the Sims 4 and HATED it so I moved it to the Sims 3. Stupid, right? Then I completely dropped my Sims 4 legacy...dead in the water...and a new story spawned in the Sims 3 off of it. I found new love for the Sims 3 in this process.
    So for me, the Sims 4 has made me love what I had taken for granted in the Sims 3. That has to be a good thing with all the money I have invested in it lol. <3
  • Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    Their censor censored the word 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Wow... :| I feel 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Well, I only have a year playing S3 now, so for sure I'll still be playing. More so that I have all the EPs now. Aside from that, I can actually play a complete family.
  • Options
    GloryGal123GloryGal123 Posts: 89 Member
    I love the Sims3 and haven't had any interest in trying the Sims4, even with the 50% off with the Black Friday deal. I enjoy the style of play that is so much a part of the Sims3. Actually I have all the expansion packs and worlds and store content and really haven't even explored half of it. But winter is coming and there won't be much I'll be doing outside so am looking forward to getting back in the game!!
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited December 2014
    I think that a lot of things have lead to a spark of interest in TS3.

- TS4 didn't have great publicity leading up to its release. And, though some fans enjoy it, a lot of fans (myself included) feel let down by how bare it is, even in comparison to other base games.
    - TS3's collection is complete and you can find expansions and bundles at discounted prices. There's a ton of content to choose from and most people can find an EP or two that suit their taste and gameplay style.
    - There is a wealth of good CC out there for TS3. Bad CC still exists, sure, but because CC and mods have been made for this game for years, it's easier to find the good stuff.
    - And, like you said, computers are better now than they were in 2009. I experienced some issues trying to run TS3 in the past, but I upgraded to a new computer in February and the game runs like a dream.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    TS3 has never lost it's appeal for me but the forums are pretty quiet compared with the old boards so I don't know if it's true to say it's more popular than ever I would say that given the hatchet job and sims 4 discontent that it certainly seems to be more appreciated by players for the scope it offers. I love TS3 despite its flaws and lack of support and have never planned to purchase TS4...why would I when content and features remain broken or unacknowledged after the TS3 game has been declared completed and abandoned by EA, no chance I would spend my money all over again just to be treated like a cash machine by EA.
    You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Maybe people have started to appreciate S3 features more, now that they realise how wonderful they are, while they took them for granted all those years.
    Chimark wrote: »
    The Sims is such an outstanding series, in terms of sales, even if Sims 4 flopped, it would still sell far more than most successful games.

Also you have to look at how a series is selling. For instance, Sims 3 sold more BASE games than Sims 2 or the original Sims. But Sims 2, when you include expansion packs sold more than twice the Sims 3 plus it's expansion packs.

So it's hard to know what to make of that. In other words did people that bought the Sims 3 base game like it so much, they felt no need for expansions? Or did they hate it so much they gave up buying anything else?
    The latter I think. It's no secret Sims 3 is hated as much as loved. Not because it's a bad game, but because it's quite different from the prequel. Some hate the game for that because they feel there is only one way to produce this game (quirky and with animated cars in the driveway; those are often the ones with a strong opinion but you can't help noticing they never ever really played it) and to others S3 just is boring gameplay wise (and although I never felt any boredom myself in five years of intensive playing, I actually do understand that because of how the game was designed).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    I remember way back then when the old forum is still very popular (last year in fact). I started making male sims for fellow simmers. I even made a thread for my first one and got a ton of replies. The Sims and Modeling and Stories and Legacies had a lot of traffic. Multiple threads get bumped to the first page fast. And now this forum seemed so empty. Just try looking at those two forum sections I mentioned above for The Sims 4.

The franchise ended at Sims 3.. It's really sad.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,127 Member
    I've always loved Sims 2&3 and I can play both better now with my Macbook than I ever could before, so that's made it even better. I could play Sims 4 on parallels, since that's how I play Sims 2 anyway, but it hasn't drawn me in at all yet. Every once in awhile I take a look at what people have made and I've checked out player videos, but it just doesn't appeal to me. Probably in large part because I do play 2&3 so much still.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top