Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could you fix the horrible taxing system that makes no sense?

DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 300 Member
edited August 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
First of it seems were tax for having things in household lot inventory, even if those items are not actually placed on the lot itself. I don't get why that makes any sense what purpose does it give lot household inventory aside from saving things you don't have room to place down, if you're taxed the same just placing them on the lot itself?

Also makes so sense to my why were taxed for items in our characters inventory, makes even less sense if you have the trait Frugal, since you're actually taxed more for having things in your character inventory opposed to placing them on the lot itself or putting them into the lot household inventory.

Think system really needs a glance over and some fixing so it makes more sense.

EDIT: Another reason I feel makes absolutely no sense knowing how it works since basically make more sense to just sell everything not on the house lot itself, with a high mark up and just buy them back later if needed opposed to paying for just store them in inventories. Since it will initially end costing you more if it's not items extremely difficult to come by in there.

Comments

• Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    I don't get why lot taxes aren't based on the price of the lot. Nor why they added that to the bills in the first place. It was unnecessary.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    From what I understand, it was challenge related. I remember people really looking forward to it at the time and I like the general water/power systems and the new breakdown we can access.

Plus, being honest, taxes generally just feel like another bill that arrives in the mail for me IRL.
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    From what I understand, it was challenge related. I remember people really looking forward to it at the time and I like the general water/power systems and the new breakdown we can access.

Plus, being honest, taxes generally just feel like another bill that arrives in the mail for me IRL.

I didn't know it was a challenge. But if it's a challenge can it be turned off? Because it sucks.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited August 2021
    LSM36 wrote: »

I didn't know it was a challenge. But if it's a challenge can it be turned off? Because it sucks.

Oh, no. Not lot challenge related, but increase the challenge of gameplay concept that was popular when this rework happened for Eco. To be fair, when adding water and power systems, it was the perfect time to rework bills if they were going to touch them at all.

I am not sure how popular lot taxes in particular are, but I do know many people are still interested in challenge upgrades.

My recommendation? When the feedback forum opens up for discussion of challenge and difficulty in the Sims on August 19th, I believe, put your opinions there-- Including that the lot taxes are bad for this and this reason and a better way would be such and such.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

That probably makes sense, not having anything personally against taxing the lot, building structures or items of value inside. What to me however feels misplaced if being taxed for things in inventories. I don't get why you're being taxed for that, it kind kill any incentive of using inventories if you're being "punished" for it. Like my example early if it's things you can rebuy it makes more sense just sell and repurchase them later if needed than paying a flat extra tax for having laying around.

Of course is probably not what most would do since less you're aware of it, then you're just puzzled why your tax keeps climbing up. Why also makes this kind of like a ghost tax, which many are likely not aware they're being taxed for since there is no section in tax and bills saying you're taxed for furniture or inventory stashes.

EDIT: Just to give another example of how ridiculous this is I am currently playing a vampire, then because I planned on going to jungle adventures I decided to tank up on plasma packs so I wouldn't have to worry about "food" being low I got around think was 25-40 fish plasma packs, when I look at the value they're about 1400 simoleons, which made my next bill jump up with between 50-100 extra simoleons just for having those items in my characters inventory.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member
    I think the idea is that it's a property tax even if it's not titled that and so all of a sim's property (whether in an inventory or not) is supposed to be taxed. The system doesn't account for everything, but I like it overall because the bills feel too low without it.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,111 Member
    I don't mind taxes, but it is ridiculous that they are based on what you own in stuff and not just on the lot+house (build items rather than buy items). I would prefer if other costs (water, electricity) were higher and the taxes lower. In general a total overhaul of money in game would be needed. Sims make way too much fairly early on in their careers. Several of mine make over 4000 a day and you can buy a whole house for 20 000! At the same time you have very little costs overall, it's food and bills and that's pretty much it. Clothes cost nothing, you go to gyms, nightclubs and museums for free. Unless you buy furniture, eat/drink out or hire a service you really spend no money at all.

My dream would be the following:
    * Introduce loans (for houses), and rental flats/houses even in base game. Add payment of the loan to the normal bills.
    * Lower the amount of money a sim gets from start (or let us choose after our playing style - easy/hard).
    * Lower royalties.
    * Lower wages higher up in the careers.
    * Make prices and wages match better in general.
    * Keep taxes but let them make more sense, raise the cost of other bills.
    * Make clothes cost in CAS.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    JAL wrote: »
    I don't mind taxes, but it is ridiculous that they are based on what you own in stuff and not just on the lot+house (build items rather than buy items). I would prefer if other costs (water, electricity) were higher and the taxes lower. In general a total overhaul of money in game would be needed. Sims make way too much fairly early on in their careers. Several of mine make over 4000 a day and you can buy a whole house for 20 000! At the same time you have very little costs overall, it's food and bills and that's pretty much it. Clothes cost nothing, you go to gyms, nightclubs and museums for free. Unless you buy furniture, eat/drink out or hire a service you really spend no money at all.

My dream would be the following:
    * Introduce loans (for houses), and rental flats/houses even in base game. Add payment of the loan to the normal bills.
    * Lower the amount of money a sim gets from start (or let us choose after our playing style - easy/hard).
    * Lower royalties.
    * Lower wages higher up in the careers.
    * Make prices and wages match better in general.
    * Keep taxes but let them make more sense, raise the cost of other bills.
    * Make clothes cost in CAS.
    I don't disagree but it is probably gonna require major revamps of many things, taking Jungle adventures as a quick example, if you unlock archaeologist achievement, the things you get send to authenticate on practically daily basis are enough to cover even most expensive high tier mansions living cost alone with each authentication given between roughly 3-4.5k per pop. So just 3-4 authentications you can easily make between 12-17k. Which will cover even many most expensive lots if you have frugal cost, making you take not actual living cost outside authenticating once a week.
  • Options
    ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    Taxes make even less sense when you play an off-the-grid household with no electronics in sulani on an island. I dont like the frugal trait but I had to give it to all present sims to lower the taxes to an almost reasonable level.

The system also ruins any theme that involves homeless or hermits.

Why cant we set the taxes ourselfs? Why must we pay rent when we should be able to buy the lot?