May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What was that update for?

Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
I updated the game and now I have no sound. Even after repairing the game. I checked that my headphones worked with other media and they do. The game has no sound now. What the heck!?

It's also not shutting down properly. I've been waiting over 10 minutes for it to close now. I can access the task bar, but the image of the game is still up and hovering the mouse over the game displays a rotating blue circle. I am so upset right now.

Comments

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited July 2021
    The update fixed Zoomers food delivery for people who don’t have the Cottage Living EP installed and it fixed the gig button in the job UI panel so gigs don’t only have to be accepted by phone or computer. Do you maybe have a mod that’s causing interference? I hope you can et your computer issues sorted out quickly.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,742 Member
    edited July 2021
    That happened to me once when I had headphones with a bad sound cable. Headphones lost sound through the cable when playing the game, the game lost sound (sims mouths are also not moving when that happens which is kinda bizarre) and then I couldn't close the game normally but had to close it in the task manager.

Replacing the cable fixed it.
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    Here are the patch notes for July 27th:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/992405/july-27th-2021-bug-fixes#latest

As @Pamtastic72 said, it was mostly just bug fixes.

It might be worth testing without mods (if you use them) then reporting this over in Answers HQ if there is still an issue and if @logion's solution doesn't work. :smile:
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Again the pack wasn't properly playtested/beta tested. Even when we see the Game Changers with a new pack marketing it to their best ability they only use the new pack prior to release and base game. They can't tell us any issues that may occur as a result of other packs not working with both the base game and the new pack altogether. Yes, I understand the reason for just the base game and whatever new pack they are using prior to release. Because one they want to showcase the latest pack coming out and two some people might just have the base game and no other packs and this is the one that interested them the most but it's not good for those of us who have all the packs or some of the packs. It's because of only focusing on the new pack we get bugs and other issues that need to be fixed as a result of poorly being playtested/beta tested. This one I can't blame the Game Changers for. It really is not the fault of The Game Changers.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    That happened to me once when I had headphones with a bad sound cable. Headphones lost sound through the cable when playing the game, the game lost sound (sims mouths are also not moving when that happens which is kinda bizarre) and then I couldn't close the game normally but had to close it in the task manager.

This is what the no audio looks like. The sims will not move their mouths when talking. The headphones I'm using don't have a cable, however, they're using bluetooth. I also tested with just the speakers from the tv with the same result. Every other sound plays, but not the game. I don't have any mods so that's not the issue. I went through all the sound settings and changed them to maybe trigger something, but that didn't work. I'm repairing the game again. Next is to get rid of my game folder and repair and start again. This is beyond frustrating, though. I think I've finally hit my limit and I'm done buying things for this game.
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

This is what the no audio looks like. The sims will not move their mouths when talking. The headphones I'm using don't have a cable, however, they're using bluetooth. I also tested with just the speakers from the tv with the same result. Every other sound plays, but not the game. I don't have any mods so that's not the issue. I went through all the sound settings and changed them to maybe trigger something, but that didn't work. I'm repairing the game again. Next is to get rid of my game folder and repair and start again. This is beyond frustrating, though. I think I've finally hit my limit and I'm done buying things for this game.

Strange, you could try using another pair or headphones or your computer's own speaker and see if the problem is still there... or you could try updating your drivers.

You can also try deleting the options.ini file and the config.log file in your the sims4 documents folder, this will reset your sims 4 options to default.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,809 Member
    Are you talking about the patch from the 27th? I'm so very sorry to hear you're having adverse affects. I think refreshing your game folder as you're planning on doing may just be the right choice. Sometimes a game corrupts and that can cause you some grief. At any rate, I do hope you get the sound back. That's one thing that keeps me from playing the game, I need the sound, too. Good luck!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options

Strange, you could try using another pair or headphones or your computer's own speaker and see if the problem is still there... or you could try updating your drivers.

You can also try deleting the options.ini file and the config.log file in your the sims4 documents folder, this will reset your sims 4 options to default.

Thanks for the tips! I deleted the options and config files. For good measure, I also deleted spotlight_en-us.package and localthumbcache.package. That did the trick. Now I hear music when starting the game so it's working again.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    We spend all this money to become a game tester for a billion dollar company. Isn't life wonderful.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2021

Have you tried restarting the game or computer? I'm also using bluetooth speakers and headphones. For some reason, sometimes when I switch devices, the game loses sound. When I check Windows 'App Volume and Device Preferences,' The Sims 4 is missing. Restarting the game brings it back.
  • Options

Thanks for the tips! I deleted the options and config files. For good measure, I also deleted spotlight_en-us.package and localthumbcache.package. That did the trick. Now I hear music when starting the game so it's working again.

Happy to help.
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Unsure, took an hour and half to download, though!
  • Options
    PixilatedPixilated Posts: 42 Member
    I haven't had problems with the sound but everytime we get an update where you get a pop up in the main menu, my game freezes for all eternity, and I have to end task like 5 times with the task manager for it to close so I can wait forever to open it again. I hope your issues get fixed soon.
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 396 Member
    We spend all this money to become a game tester for a billion dollar company. Isn't life wonderful.

THIS!
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    I am noticing so many more glitches, errors, and bugs. I was mostly unaffected by the bugs that were reported, but now I think I have all of them. The worst being the jumping to different spaces. Yesterday I was watching someone in the living room when the mom jumped into the middle of the living room, completely contorted like trying to hug someone upstairs, and then jumped back upstairs where she originally was. Totally creepy. None of my sims are washing their hands after using the bathroom...and I didn't realize how much that grosses me out. haha. Some of my rooflines have disappeared and no amount of replacing them is bringing the line back. I had to go back to a previous version of the house to "fix" it. The game still won't close. I have to wait a few minutes and then click the game to trigger a not responding error. Whenever a sim is doing needlepoint, they jump out of it and the hoop is on the ground in front of them.
  • Options
    Simcity_TrainsSimcity_Trains Posts: 107 Member

The sad truth
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Sadly looks like a pack (with related patches/updates) to avoid for the foreseeable future. A pity as the overall idea and look of the pack seems quite fun for once.
  • Options
    And started the game again and there is no sound. This is ridiculous.