Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are expansion packs so expensive?

Comments

• Options
    MoonlitShadowXoxoMoonlitShadowXoxo Posts: 57 Member
    > @Olber said:
    > I usually do find them overpriced, but at the end of the day it's a price they will sell for and as long as that's the case, it won't change. I'm not all too bothered by it. If I think the EP is worth it, I will pay it, if I don't, I will wait until it's on sale (since if I don't think it's worth the price, I doubt I would really miss the content for another few months). So far I've only bought one EP for the actual price and that was C&D. I got all the others for half the price during sales.

I agree. I mainly get all of my packs and expansions during sales. This seems to be the best time to get the best price.
  • Options
    MoonlitShadowXoxoMoonlitShadowXoxo Posts: 57 Member
    > @Alysha1988 said:
    > I think the packs are expensive for what you get tbh. I wait until they are doing a 50% off sale. 20USD seems about right for the depth of content in sims 4 expansions. I think they are only worth full price if you are really excited to play at launch.

I agree. I think that's true. If you're not too eager to play at launch and can wait until the sales, it seems like the best time to get the most for your money. Content wise though, I can't really comment. I played the earlier sims games but I guess I just am enjoying the new graphics and such with the new ones just as much as the old ones. As for new stuff in the packs, I enjoy those too. I think that the sims 4 may have a little less content for the money but it's a nice change with how it's presented.
  • Options
    OnicorahOnicorah Posts: 1 New Member
    No, it's WAAAY too expensive. The sims, back in the not too distant past, either used to charge nothing or a small fee for new expansions. I cant remember which. I know very little about business practices but it seems to me that ripping off the average Joe will eventually result in fewer sales. ON the other hand, its a common practice to let the ship sink and then collect the benefits. EA CEOs...you guys are pricks. Dregs of humanity. You prey on people who love the sims franchise and take advantage of them. Like everything else, you can't last forever considering your business practices. Sell the franchise to someone more eithical.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    They're expensive because EA has no significant competition in the life simulator market. Look what happened when Cities Skylines came out to challenge Sim City.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    Lol the game full price is around 500$, it certainly isn't made for the poor.
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Expansions have never been free or cheap.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Except for pools and toddlers and all the new things they ever put in patches and the Ghoulish guitar and plantsims and its exploration tree and the holiday Eggs and Sugar Skulls and...

And nobody's asking for their expansions to be free. THey're asking for them to be a reasonable price for the content therein.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Except for pools and toddlers and all the new things they ever put in patches and the Ghoulish guitar and...

And nobody's asking for their expansions to be free. THey're asking for them to be a reasonable price for the content therein.

Patches are different from expansion as they are free, expansions are not. I was responding to Onicorah who stated:

The sims, back in the not too distant past, either used to charge nothing or a small fee for new expansions.

As for asking for a reasonable price, who gets to determine that, you? The ones creating the product decide how much they will charge for it. You may decide if you are willing to pay that price and if not, then you won't buy it. As a whole, any pack is only worth what the public is willing to pay for it. Most will pay for this one.
  • Options
    kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    Lol the game full price is around 500$, it certainly isn't made for the poor.

I actually did the math and I have spent $700 on this game here in Australia. It's definitely an expensive game!

Digital Deluxe Edition AUD$59.99

Expansion Packs
    Seasons: 49.99
    Cats and Dogs: 49.99
    City Living: 49.99
    Get Together: 49.99
    Get To Work: 49.99

Game Packs
    Outdoor Retreat: 29.99
    Spa Day: 29.99
    Dine Out: 29.99
    Parenthood: 29.99
    Vampires: 29.99
    Jungle Adventure: 29.99

Stuff Packs
    Luxury Party Stuff: 14.99
    Perfect Patio Stuff: 14.99
    Vintage Glamour: 14.99
    Fitness Stuff: 14.99
    Laundry Day Stuff: 14.99
    Backyard Stuff: 14.99
    Spooky Stuff: 14.99
    Romantic Garden Stuff: 14.99
    Movie Hangout stuff: 14.99
    Bowling Night Stuff: 14.99
    Cool Kitchen Stuff: 14.99
    Kids Room Stuff: 14.99
    Toddler Stuff: 14.99
    My First Pet Stuff: 14.99

My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    As the consumer, I rather think it is up to me - and to every other consumer - to decide if I'm paying a fair price. Trouble is, most of the time you can only decide if you're paying a fair price AFTER you bought it. That's a major obstruction because EA sets the price regardless of whether it's 'reasonable' or not. Like the content of MFP. Or the bugs still in Get To Work after four years.

Also, I really don't think that Expansion Packs are 'optional'. I mean sure, EA doesn't have a gun to my head but something being 'optional' is less straightforward than you think. I mean, you don't HAVE to buy a car or a mobile phone.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,089 Member
    edited June 2018
    I don't even want to count what I've spent. :p Whatever it is it was well worth it. :)

Sure do hope Target's going to have Seasons at 50% off. :D
  • Options
    AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    I have a hard time accepting comparisons between Sims EP/GP/SPs and other game DLCs. Things added into the Sims game need to work in a larger ecosysem of actions, reactions, ect. Having towinies show up and behave certain ways, having sims react differently to the same stimuli, tracking realtionships, now temperature, variable weather, random events, and so on. I love the Witcher 3 and the DLC was super worth their price but very few things in a game like that are variable. Also, inflation and cost of living changes means the Sims 3 EPs and Sims 4 EPs actually don't cost the same even when it's 40 to 40 in America.

All that aside as a consumer we need to look at the price and decide if we think we are getting the value we should for what we are paying and, if not, if we should just walk away. I've been happy with my Sims 4 buys myself but EAs lack of competition in this niche game market really does allow them to charge whatever they think the market will bear.
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited June 2018
    Here in the UK, expansion packs are £35, equivalent to 47 US dollars.

I struggle to justify spending that much on any video game - it feels like a waste of money. This is why I'm glad I held off buying Cats & Dogs until now.

There are countless other things I'd rather spend my money on first - like new clothes, or food (not because I'm in dire need of food - I just love eating).
    Post edited by aaronjc123 on
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    I don't even want to count what I've spent. :p Whatever it is it was well worth it. :)

Sure do hope Target's going to have Seasons at 50% off. :D

Same here @simgirl1010 on all points. If I can't get that deal like I did with Cats and dogs I may not get this pack on release, I have a few big expenses coming up.
  • Options
    KyationeKyatione Posts: 187 Member
    edited June 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I understand you. It's worst in my country. They doubled the Cats and Dogs EP for no reason, making it more expensive than the base game (!) I'm not buying it till they fix it.

Contrary to popular opinion, EA doesn't have control of other countries' exchange rates or taxation practices. Even though it's digitally delivered, some countries charge import fees for imported products, and that includes video games. If you're upset, contact your government's legislature or taxation bureau to complain.

Exactly. EA gets the same price they always did for Sims 4, but players countries and stores get everything over that. I cannot understand how anyone can buy anything and not know this. Even when a store has a sale - EA does not get more or less money- they get so much per game - equal for everyone in US dollars - charges over EA's fee for everyone goes to the store and country in which each of us lives. (The store gets the money - they send EA their cost, they send their countries their cost and export fees, and then the store gets the rest.)

The same price? That's not true at all. Why do you speak as if you know everything? If you live in a country other than America, your Origin account will charge you in the currency matching or close enough to where you live so long as Origin has a store front for that 'region'. If they have no store site related to your region/location then you automatically get charged in Euro. Note that I am speaking about Origin.com and not some physical store where I live. Also note that Origin is developed by EA. Tell me again now how the "price is the same" when this is not even them physically producing the game and shipping it off. This is being able to digitally download the game just like persons in America are able to when they purchase from Origin.com except if your location isn't America the cost is increased for doing the same task. Keep in mind, changing currencies isn't something within your control either. That's EA's call. Always has been. And last I checked, the USD was stronger than the Euro, meaning if there is a price tag of USD$40 in one area and €40 in another, the consumer who pays €40 ends up paying close to USD$47 in actuality. Treatment isn't the same. I must be missing the countries and stores get the rest of money part and I guess even though I buy stuff, I don't know anything.
    Edit: one typo.
  • Options
    miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    I don't think it's fair to say "Yes, this game is too expensive" or "No! It's a fair price!"

I guess if you're just looking for opinions, fine, but that's all they are. Opinions. The concept of how much something is worth is completely subjective to the person.

Someone above said they calculated they had spent $700 USD on The Sims 4. I'm not sure if I've spent that much, but for arguments sake lets say I have. I also know that according to origin, I've spent nearly 1500 hours playing The Sims 4. That means I have spent roughly $0.50 per hour that I've played The Sims. And every hour I play from today moving forward, will only decrease that amount.

That is how I determine worth. By that logic, to me, The Sims is more than worth it. But, like I said, that's just me. And my opinion. It doesn't really mean much of anything. :)
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    I understand you. It's worst in my country. They doubled the Cats and Dogs EP for no reason, making it more expensive than the base game (!) I'm not buying it till they fix it.

Contrary to popular opinion, EA doesn't have control of other countries' exchange rates or taxation practices. Even though it's digitally delivered, some countries charge import fees for imported products, and that includes video games. If you're upset, contact your government's legislature or taxation bureau to complain.

So, the world decided to increase the price for The Sims 4 exclusively?

Apparently your country did if your price went up. Mine is still the same it has been. Some countries like to go up on American goods and tariffs. Nothing we can do about it when they do. You realize none of that extra money leaves your country - right? Your stores send EA what part they always got - as EA's price has not changed - the store keeps their cut, and then the rest goes right to your tax and tariffs office. Guess they want their citizens to buy goods from your own countries.
    Exactly people are blaming EA when it is their country that caused this.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I’ve played over 5213 hours according to Origin (I’m pretty sure it only counts when you’re online?). I’ve spent around $540 (including Seasons) for all the packs that have came out. To me, I think it’s pretty worth the price. I also buy as soon they come out so I don’t have to worry about buying multiples later on.

It’s up to YOU whether or not a specific pack is worth the price. Seasons is definitely worth the $39.99, in MY opinion Get to Work was not; but I bought it anyway because I WANTED to. No one is forcing you to buy anything, every pack that comes out is INDEED optional. Buy it, or don’t, It’s as simple as that. o:)
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Especially when to get the full value of a pack you have to purchase another additional pack - MFP + C&D
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,089 Member
    I felt Cats and Dogs was worth the full value when I purchased it and had no idea My First Pet was coming.

I look at it as cost per month. Around $15 of my monthly entertainment budget for the last 46 months or .50/day. Definitely worth it.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I felt Cats and Dogs was worth the full value when I purchased it and had no idea My First Pet was coming.

I look at it as cost per month. Around $15 of my monthly entertainment budget for the last 46 months or .50/day. Definitely worth it.

yes but the MFP pack didn't offer itself as an over priced stand alone pack, to get full value for the money you paid, to take full advantage of all features you needed to purchase yet another, even more (too) expensive, pack...(regardless of if it was worth it or not)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    To turn this perspective around let's say someone says they are interested in getting Sims 4 and they ask how much will they have to spend to get any enjoyment out of it. How much would you tell them the initial outlay would be in one lump sum (Base + Packs)
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    To turn this perspective around let's say someone says they are interested in getting Sims 4 and they ask how much will they have to spend to get any enjoyment out of it. How much would you tell them the initial outlay would be in one lump sum (Base + Packs)

The answer depends on them, no one can tell them that. I know plenty of people who only have the base game and have a ton of fun with it. Personally I couldn’t do it :D:D:D but to each their own.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    edited June 2018

Except that's not why it increased. It was cheaper for years only changed with cats and dogs. Americans seem to buy the silliest excuses based on myths about countries they know nothing about. Btw many of countries affected had seen no increase with other games because it had nothing to do with taxes, fees, or exchange rates (especially as the exchange rate can be higher than US, we have actually been in decline for the last two years.). It was simple greed, they did it because they could.
  • Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

So, the world decided to increase the price for The Sims 4 exclusively?

Apparently your country did if your price went up. Mine is still the same it has been. Some countries like to go up on American goods and tariffs. Nothing we can do about it when they do. You realize none of that extra money leaves your country - right? Your stores send EA what part they always got - as EA's price has not changed - the store keeps their cut, and then the rest goes right to your tax and tariffs office. Guess they want their citizens to buy goods from your own countries.
    Exactly people are blaming EA when it is their country that caused this.

No this is some myth Americans are incapable of actual researching. We have taxes on games here in the us. Some of us pay over 10% on luxury goods and yet our price didn't increase while countries like South Africa did. A country that has some of the most trade favoring laws for imports (this means low taxes). If people can't do the base research for their views then they should stop sharing them. It's just gossip otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top