The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Options in Launcher are grayed out

KethKeth Posts: 165 Member
Sometimes, when I start the game, I notice that the game has defaulted back to a 1024x768 resolution and all the graphics settings are at their lowest. Normally, I just switch them back and go on. But this time, it's also defaulted my aging settings back to default as well and the box is grayed out so I can't change it. Where is this error coming from?

[EDIT] Nevermind. Once I actually loaded up the game I could make changes again. That was annoying but I guess I'll live.
Post edited by Keth on

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Yeah - sometimes my game resets also, and I have to manually re-enable all my EPs and SPs. Not sure what makes that happen. Glad your situation was resolved!
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    Hi,
    Sometimes, when I start the game, I notice that the game has defaulted back to a 1024x768 resolution and all the graphics settings are at their lowest.
    This can happen after a video driver update. If the options.ini file is ever deleted or moved to another location, a new options.ini file using all of the default settings is created by the game launcher or game application.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    It's also always (I think) been the case that you cannot adjust the age stage spans unless you actually have a game loaded.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Keth wrote: »
    Sometimes, when I start the game, I notice that the game has defaulted back to a 1024x768 resolution and all the graphics settings are at their lowest. Normally, I just switch them back and go on. But this time, it's also defaulted my aging settings back to default as well and the box is grayed out so I can't change it. Where is this error coming from?

[EDIT] Nevermind. Once I actually loaded up the game I could make changes again. That was annoying but I guess I'll live.

If you updated your video card that can reset the launcher settings. If you updated to windows 10 could cause that too.

as for ages being grayed out in the launcher I have that on two different computers. It was caused by a patch. Like you stated you can fix that in game options directly in game.
  • Options
    marstinsonmarstinson Posts: 367 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    It's also always (I think) been the case that you cannot adjust the age stage spans unless you actually have a game loaded.

This is correct. Age spans can only be adjusted in-game, but the setting carries over to a new game like everything else. Go figure. I'm sure there is a rational reason behind this feature, but am afraid to ask about it because it may turn out to be "let's mess with players' heads." So I spend a lot of time shrugging and just live with it.

@Keth - the options.ini file is your likeliest culprit. I don't know why the game insists on recreating it each time you upgrade drivers (a couple of times per month if you're an nVidia user and stay on top of it). It's another one of those shrug-and-live-with-it design decisions. My work-around was to fire up Notepad++ or another text editor and make a copy of the file. Once everything was set the way I wanted it, I dropped it into the same folder with a dummy file extension (I use .ini.orig). The next time I did a driver update, I just deleted the one the game created and saved a new copy without the dummy extension.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    igazor wrote: »

It use to work before the 1.67 patch . The 1.67 patch froze the launcher and greyed out adjusting life span etc.