The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims aren't so smart

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm going to bring it up again because it's very frustrating and I hope EA has a fix for this in the very near future. I have instructed my sim to clean out the bad food from the fridge and he proceeds to walk up to the third floor bathroom to wash the dishes, bypassing the kitchen sink that is right next to the fridge and two other bathrooms on the way. The kitchen sink is better quality than the third floor bathroom, and the two bathrooms he bypassed have the same sink as the third floor bathroom. The house is empty so he has no reason to go all the way upstairs.
You can find my Sims 4 creations by searching my Origin ID nualla_6109.

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Maybe he knows something about the sink you don't.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    MadarasQueenMadarasQueen Posts: 544 Member
    sims have never been smart lol...anyone who say's oh no! in sims 2 ahh lol...eh let me just say...I've also had a few dum, dums in s2 XD
  • Options
    ArkaneArkane Posts: 20,243 Member
    I think something got messed up with the path issues in the game and that doesn't sound too far off with I'm going through too. When one of my sims wants to give his girlfriend a hug he'll go past her, outside, pause for a minute then come back in to hug her.
    Potential Is Everything

Origin ID: BadArkane

XYeo1vn.png
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I think something got messed up with the path issues in the game and that doesn't sound too far off with I'm going through too. When one of my sims wants to give his girlfriend a hug he'll go past her, outside, pause for a minute then come back in to hug her.

Poor guy has to give it some serious thought beforehand, eh?

Most of my homes are as small as can possibly be to accommodate only what's needed. I don't run into the issue much. Learned this long ago (after I built Lara Croft's home from second Tomb Raider in the sims 2). My sims still use odd sinks. I think it has to do with whatever the game engine thinks is closer on the horizontal plane as opposed to the vertical plane.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    jeanmichael01jeanmichael01 Posts: 62 Member
    I think it's about the path issue of your house. I have the same problem, I think your stairs should be far away from your kitchen.
    mirai.gif
    "If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... A tragedy."
  • Options
    Kal_T0rakKal_T0rak Posts: 172 Member
    edited October 2014
    nualla8673 wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm going to bring it up again because it's very frustrating and I hope EA has a fix for this in the very near future. I have instructed my sim to clean out the bad food from the fridge and he proceeds to walk up to the third floor bathroom to wash the dishes, bypassing the kitchen sink that is right next to the fridge and two other bathrooms on the way. The kitchen sink is better quality than the third floor bathroom, and the two bathrooms he bypassed have the same sink as the third floor bathroom. The house is empty so he has no reason to go all the way upstairs.

I posted about this just last week. Nine times out of ten, my sims preferred to go upstairs to the second floor to wash their dishes despite it being farther away in terms of both planes.
    2014-09-29_15-58-13_zpsd4f8087e.png

To be gorgeous and high and true and fine and fluffy and moist and sticky and lovely, all you have to do is to believe that one is gorgeous and high and true and fine and fluffy and moist and sticky and lovely.
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    How about cleaning up dishes on a rounded island counter (kitchen sink placed in the middle of one side of that same counter) and they just completely ignore that sink to go to another sink elsewhere.

Oh, and the famous queue cancelling for who knows what reason, when they're RIGHT there next to the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 sink.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    I have issues in my new home with sims not being able to pick up the plate they were eating off of after they stand up. It's like they went blind and can't find it. IT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!
    To be gorgeous and high and true and fine and fluffy and moist and sticky and lovely, all you have to do is to believe that one is gorgeous and high and true and fine and fluffy and moist and sticky and lovely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Kal_T0rak wrote: »

I posted about this just last week. Nine times out of ten, my sims preferred to go upstairs to the second floor to wash their dishes despite it being farther away in terms of both planes.
    2014-09-29_15-58-13_zpsd4f8087e.png

Is the sink directly above her? They sometimes seem to judge the distance 'as the crow flies' rather than by the actual path they would have to take to get there.
  • Options
    YazFoxxyYazFoxxy Posts: 1,219 Member
    Bless em, but they have never been smart. ;3 I tried to get my sim to talk to another and she wouldn't go over to him, because "apparently" there was something in the way.. >_<;
  • Options
    The upstairs sink is on the other side of the house so it's definitely not closer by any means.
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    The upstairs sink is on the other side of the house so it's definitely not closer by any means.

What does the bathroom look like? Does it have more room than what's in front of the sink? It looks pretty cramped over there (just shooting out ideas, I don't know. I don't have this problem with my Sims).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited October 2014

I see. The proximity is one of the factors they use to determine which sink they use, so is the type of sink. Embedded sinks are preferred. SimGuruMax talks a bit about it in the Tech Talk thread.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12700900/#Comment_12700900
  • Options

What does the bathroom look like? Does it have more room than what's in front of the sink? It looks pretty cramped over there (just shooting out ideas, I don't know. I don't have this problem with my Sims).

It was a smaller half bath. Thankfully, I haven't had this issue in my new house which is surprising seeing as how I have 4 bathrooms now.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

It was a smaller half bath. Thankfully, I haven't had this issue in my new house which is surprising seeing as how I have 4 bathrooms now.

Ah, too bad you don't have any images of it. I was curious if maybe the bathroom was big and fancy with dual counter sinks and maybe the Sim just liked the bathroom better?

I don't have this issue but I also like to build giant kitchens because I have one and it feels cramped otherwise, my Sims seem to really like them.

My current kitchen, put the walls up to show that there are some cabinets. I just don't go crazy with them.

Bathrooms, I tend to build the exact same type of bathroom but change the floor/walls. I do the shower and bathtub separate so they can put themselves out if they catch themselves on fire and well....to waste space, lol. I sometimes have the bathroom right off the kitchen, they still don't use it to clean dishes because they are small and a lesser draw sink. In this build though, they are on the other side of the house.

10-10-14_5-20nbspAM_zpsad8a31af.png

10-10-14_5-21nbspAM_zpsb13ad16d.png

ETA: Half of my text keeps vanishing, gah.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Double post....I seriously hate the automatic draft thing. It's too quick and causes the post to "hang".
  • Options
    Dug up my old save so I could post this. It seems I was mistaken. It's not a half bath, that was my "other" other house lol. This is where they like to wash on the second floor.
    2014-10-10_3-38-25_zps81be9938.jpg
  • Options
    nualla8673nualla8673 Posts: 397 Member
    greenXen wrote: »

I see. The proximity is one of the factors they use to determine which sink they use, so is the type of sink. Embedded sinks are preferred. SimGuruMax talks a bit about it in the Tech Talk thread.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12700900/#Comment_12700900

This would explain why my sim chose to bypass two other bathrooms, both had standing sinks. On the vertical vs. horizontal plane, it doesn't make any sense at all.

• Options
    cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    Simple way to solve this: dishwasher
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member

I have experienced the exact same issue. Perfectly good sink in the kitchen, but my sim bypassed it to wash the dishes in the bathroom--which is on the same floor. A question: is your bathroom sink built into a counter or is it one of the free-standing models? Since deleting my bathroom counter, the problem seems to have gone away for me.
  • Options
    Dug up my old save so I could post this. It seems I was mistaken. It's not a half bath, that was my "other" other house lol. This is where they like to wash on the second floor.
    2014-10-10_3-38-25_zps81be9938.jpg

Unless it was directly over the kitchen and therefore in Simlogic closer, I see no reason why they would have used this sink over the other. Sometimes....they really just aren't very smart, lol.
  • Options
    Simple way to solve this: dishwasher

I'm still confused why we don't have these, but your statement is so true.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    So_Money wrote: »

I have experienced the exact same issue. Perfectly good sink in the kitchen, but my sim bypassed it to wash the dishes in the bathroom--which is on the same floor. A question: is your bathroom sink built into a counter or is it one of the free-standing models? Since deleting my bathroom counter, the problem seems to have gone away for me.
    Which of course shouldn't matter (imo).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    So_Money wrote: »

Which of course shouldn't matter (imo).

It shouldn't matter, but does it?
  • Options
    @So_Money Reading the SimGuru post about built-in sinks vs. standing sinks, I'm definitely going to put standing sinks in all bathrooms to deter my sims from wandering through the house to wash dishes.