Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Sims 4 So Expensive

Comments

• Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited July 2014
    shewolf51 wrote:
    It doesn't seem to be any more expensive than any other new Triple A game out there. On Origin (NA version, at least) it's $60 for the standard edition. To buy the disk in store it is more expensive ($70) but that was the same price at my local EB Games/Gamestop for iNFamous: Second Son.

Obviously not all games are more expensive now but I think this is probably going to be a trend as production costs for major titles goes up.

If the quality of the games price tag, then there'd be no issues.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    edited July 2014
    shewolf51 wrote:
    It doesn't seem to be any more expensive than any other new Triple A game out there. On Origin (NA version, at least) it's $60 for the standard edition. To buy the disk in store it is more expensive ($70) but that was the same price at my local EB Games/Gamestop for iNFamous: Second Son.

Obviously not all games are more expensive now but I think this is probably going to be a trend as production costs for major titles goes up.

If the quality of the games price tag, then there'd be no issues.

I definitely agree. However, that's just not how it works and, unfortunately, I doubt it ever will. There are plenty of games out there that are not worth $60 and yet that's the price they are upon release.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited July 2014
    Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Publilius_Syrus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited July 2014
    shewolf51 wrote:
    It doesn't seem to be any more expensive than any other brand new Triple A game out there. On Origin (NA version, at least) it's $60 for the standard edition. To buy the disk in store it is more expensive ($70) but that was the same price at my local EB Games/Gamestop for iNFamous: Second Son.

Do those other AAA games all come with 8 expansion packs?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    greenXen wrote:
    shewolf51 wrote:
    It doesn't seem to be any more expensive than any other brand new Triple A game out there. On Origin (NA version, at least) it's $60 for the standard edition. To buy the disk in store it is more expensive ($70) but that was the same price at my local EB Games/Gamestop for iNFamous: Second Son.

Do those other AAA games all come with 8 expansion packs?

Not all, no. Some do get a few expansion packs over time, just like the Sims since the Sims doesn't "come with" 8 expansion packs right off the bat. Yet those games are still, you guessed it, $60.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The Sims does come with those Expansion Packs. They are pre-planned and content is withheld from the base game to include in these packs later.

There's a big difference between a game costing $60 and eventually getting 0-2 EPs, and a base game costing $70 and getting 8 EPs, 6 Stuff Packs, and thousands of dollars of "exclusive" store content. Without factoring in the other stuff, it's not a fair price comparison.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    greenXen wrote:
    The Sims does come with those Expansion Packs. They are pre-planned and content is withheld from the base game to include in these packs later.

There's a big difference between a game costing $60 and eventually getting 0-2 EPs, and a base game costing $70 and getting 8 EPs, 6 Stuff Packs, and thousands of dollars of "exclusive" store content. Without factoring in the other stuff, it's not a fair price comparison.

They are likely pre-planned but the Sims has always had expansion packs, even since the Sims 1 and yet they still charged a high price for the base game even back then.

Also, as I mentioned previously it is not quality, or the number of expansions, or what is considered "fair" that determines the cost of a product. This is essentially the equivalent of saying that companies should either charge less on the main game because they release DLC later on or that they should give that DLC out for free.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    shewolf51 wrote:
    greenXen wrote:

They are likely pre-planned but the Sims has always had expansion packs, even since the Sims 1 and yet they still charged a high price for the base game even back then.

Also, as I mentioned previously it is not quality, or the number of expansions, or what is considered "fair" that determines the cost of a product. This is essentially the equivalent of saying that companies should either charge less on the main game because they release DLC later on or that they should give that DLC out for free.

No, it doesn't matter whether the Sims has always done this or not. To compare the price of the games you have to compare the price of the complete game and that includes the Expansions which contain content that has been intentionally withheld from the base game(DLC is debatable).

The Sims is intentionally split up to ramp up the amount they can charge. And, if you do a fair comparison of the entire games, it is much more expensive than other games.

The game does not make Wiki's list of most expensive games, which also points to artificial price inflation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop
  • Options
    StoreAccountStoreAccount Posts: 1,504 Member
    edited July 2014
    Just to let everyone know, I know I was accused of being the OP but it wasn't me. Thanks to the people who tried to stick up for me (Katlyn, Kirby and Phineas) but now whenever we have a new troll it's automatically me I guess.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited July 2014
    It seems expensive in a sense but looking at all those other games out there that costs just as much then ends after you beat it, for me, sims win.

They did not add certain things we're used to but then again I have not seen what the ts4 babies look or how they function. I'm hoping for the best with that. lol Yes, no pools but my sims going to the club seems so much more fun. In sims 3 my sims really didn't go swimming, but more to all the clubs I laid out in 🐸🐸🐸🐸. None of them with swimming pools. Olympic Physique has 2 pools though. The CASt issue...I may miss it. A color wheel would be awesome.

This is all my opinion btw.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited July 2014
    greenXen wrote:

No, it doesn't matter whether the Sims has always done this or not. To compare the price of the games you have to compare the price of the complete game and that includes the Expansions which contain content that has been intentionally withheld from the base game(DLC is debatable).

The Sims is intentionally split up to ramp up the amount they can charge. And, if you do a fair comparison of the entire games, it is much more expensive than other games.

The game does not make Wiki's list of most expensive games, which also points to artificial price inflation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

I think the artificial price inflation comes from their advertising. It's clear the the development for the actual sims 4 should be worth about 20 dollars. Like i said they should shoulder their own mistake with sims 4 olympus. As cryon pointed out in another thread they probably left the coding for olympus in the game to activate it later at another time. However right now that coding is useless, and it means that the game has only a fraction of capabilities at release. Then it's costs should not be 70 dollars it should be under.

Sims 4 wasn't even marketed or advertised like sims 3 so i agree with you someone's playing price games at the fans expense. Funny its clear the game is offering less in game play yet very little fan is upset about it and willing to shell out the full price guage of sims 4. Rather than waiting and paying less to show EA what it's actually worth.

I guess you can put a price on impatience.
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited July 2014
    Between inflation and Obamacare companies have to charge more to make a profit .
  • Options
    PixelBreezePixelBreeze Posts: 3 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Its not expensive. Origin makes it expensive. Its acual price is 36.99 €
    Pre Order Sims 4 on G2A.COM

https://www.g2a.com/r/sims-4-orgin-preorder
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    edited July 2014
    A game is worth what people will pay for it. Did you buy the Sims4 already? Then it's a fair price. Otherwise I could make the same argument for anything, cars, real estate, gold.

It's ridiculous that my Toyota made mostly of aluminum should cost $17000 when a car could be bought for less than $1000 back in the 1950's. Why don't you guys go into your local dealership and complain about car prices and see what happens.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2014
    Well, they can't blame it on inflation, because according to the US government there hasn't been any inflation in the last eight years. :roll: Though incomes have stagnated and families have lost more than $5000 per year. And the cost of bread has tripled.

An ex employee says too many producers were hired (they don't do any of the actual work) instead of enough engineers, programmers, or whatever type other expertise was needed. Maybe that's the answer. Something has to compensate those people's salaries, so pass it on to the customer no matter if EA did mismanage the game/the budget/and their time.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    edited July 2014
    If you think it's overpriced for what you get, and imo it is, then just wait until November/December time frame when the cost gets cut in half for Christmas. There is no benefit to buying early or right when it comes out that I can see unless your an impulse shopper I suppose.
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    edited July 2014
    It's no more expensive than every other game out there, calm down people.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited July 2014
    GARYZGAL wrote:
    It's no more expensive than every other game out there, calm down people.

Exactly but they say it's half done ((Which it isn't)) so normal price isn't justified. :?
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    LEvans102071LEvans102071 Posts: 448 Member
    edited July 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:
    Aren't most games today at that price?

Maybe, but would *you* pay $60 for.. tic-tac-toe??

Just because "most games" go for that much, doesn't mean -all- games are *worth* that much...
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited July 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:

Just because "most games" go for that much, doesn't mean -all- games are *worth* that much...

Well to me TS4 is worth the price from what I've seen so far. But I guess that's just me. It's up to par with other games going that price.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    edited July 2014
    MALAiA46 wrote:
    The sims games cost like a pair of good sneakers would cost. So that is a descent price for a game and plus they probably spend a lot of money already making the game itself!
    I wouldn't pay $70 for sneakers either. In fact, I get good sneakers for almost half that price (($40-$45). And good sneakers are a necessity if you do a lot of walking. No game is worth $70 unless it's a collection (like if they sold a Sims 3 Ultimate Collection), as games are NOT a necessity !
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    A game is worth what people will pay for it. Did you buy the Sims4 already? Then it's a fair price. Otherwise I could make the same argument for anything, cars, real estate, gold.

It's ridiculous that my Toyota made mostly of aluminum should cost $17000 when a car could be bought for less than $1000 back in the 1950's. Why don't you guys go into your local dealership and complain about car prices and see what happens.

The obvious problem with your analogy is that.. cars, whether built in the 50's or today are *created* with physical material.

Games today, for the most part, are DIGITAL. There are no "material" goods used, and once created can be recreated without further expenditure.

Should, then, digital copies be cheaper? It would make sense, wouldn't it? EA is a *business.* And businesses exist to make money. As much money as possible (with as little effort as possible, it seems nowadays.) As has been stated... they will only be able to charge people what they think/know they can get people to pay for.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:
    UtaDagda wrote:

Well to me TS4 is worth the price from what I've seen so far. But I guess that's just me. It's up to par with other games going that price.

And if it is, more power to you. A lot of people simply don't share that opinion.
  • Options
    JPG619JPG619 Posts: 460 Member
    edited July 2014
    I pre-ordered the Premium Edition from Amazon and was happy to get it at 59.99. I didn't know it would go up to 89.99 but would of still be OK paying that price. If people think $59.99 is a lot for a game I don't think it that bad. Yes my job is not the greatest and don't make alot as it is it don't stop me from paying money to have fun. I end up paying that to see a movie with friends (Including tickets and food) at least with a game I have it forever when a movie last 2 hours then the entertainment is gone.

Also people saying the game is not complete you never really know until you try it or watch someone else play the game in a YouTube video to judge if the game is complete or not. With having a technical background in computers I can understand what the programmers are going through with time and deadlines. It is not easy to make a game and if one feature is ether to hard to make from scratch or is buggy then I can see why it is left out. If they included toddlers and pools with bugs then people would complain as well then not having them in. I rather seen a game with minimal bugs then a game with a lot plus to add to that I have yet to see a game bug free so it better to leave the features out that have bugs so they can eliminate them most before they release it via a patch or expansion pack.
  • Options
    lilhunnylilhunny Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited July 2014
    They Need Help

theyre beyond help