Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Want to See More Sims of Colour in The Sims 4 and More Improved Racial Demographic

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited January 2014
    Miamine wrote:
    I'm aware of what Sk8rblaze was getting at, and he's no racist, although his words were.. lets say, a little inflammatory.

He's frightened that "political correctness" will tear the game apart, by having to cater for everybody, any edginess, controversy, or bad taste (sims 2 breakdowns, sims 3 neurotics) will be removed.

But the sims diversity is one of it's strengths, having to play a pre-made family that is different from yours, that's a good thing. Throw in a couple of diverse family's, more costumes, great modding ability, more diverse locations.. and great gameplay... I can only see that as a very good thing.

I fully agree, i felt like EA pushing the envelope with sims was always one of it's strong suits. I mean one of the things about sims is it doesn't push what's considered the norms of yesterday's society. I'm sure a lot of fans are looking for that fun part of sims that was dark humor, less sunshine but more fun and challenging. Yes it is what you make it but with less modders, and less content being created how are players exactly suppose to make it their own? Even twallan is dropping from sims 4. Though i understand where he's coming from, it's not like the opposite isn't a fear too. If sims isn't diverse enough it loses it's edge.
  • Options
    AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited January 2014
    I'm all for diversity, though I don't think The Sims 3 is so lacking as some people in this thread think it is. But that's just my opinion.

Granted, there is no hairstyle that looks like mine. My simself never really looks like me without CC because my hair apparently is not interesting enough to be featured on The Sims 3. It is long, wavy, puffy and the bangs are long and swept to the side. Oh, and I'm caucasian.

Anyways... I enjoy playing with pre-made families, but mostly when they are referencing something I like (like Chell and GLaDOS on Into The Future) or when they have interesting stories. I usually don't care for the color of their skins but rather for how interesting their stories are, so I really don't see this as such a big deal like some of you guys do.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited January 2014
    Anavastia wrote:
    However kirby i give you mad respect that you aren't in the least telling the people who feel strongly about Ea offering a more diverse premade neighborhood to go away and delete the thread. Perhaps one day when you have another friend that lives in one that isn't controlled by gang violence you can venture down there and experience a different onset of culture, food and fun. I still visit my old neighborhood from time to time, to listen to poetry night in the club or visit my favorite restaurants. Take my kids to get hair cuts there and for quite a while i was a activist for that community. Believe me if i was scared i surely wouldn't visit.

Well, I don't believe the thread should be deleted. I have always thought that making a sim who isn't white is more difficult than it should be. That being said, I have hope that TS4 allows more diversity in terms of race, culture, sexuality, etc. And seeing all the pictures I've seen, I think that it will be a lot more diverse.

Anyway, if I've offended you in any way then I apologize. Not my intention. Hopefully I can experience the good parts of the ghetto too. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited January 2014
    I know. I feel left out... What about all my Colored Sims?
    Will they have pink Sims? Can I make my blue Sims? How about some green? I feel like my Sims diversity just isn't going to be in TS4. :(

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2014
    I'm not offended by the demographics of the worlds in TS3. What offends me is the premades own just about every house in any world EA pumps out.

That is offensive. :lol: I don't expect them to make a town full of all black or brown Sims. What I expect is they make a town that doesn't make me have to edit every household because all the good locations or houses are full of premades. :hunf:

I hope they return the game to the player and at least allow them to have empty templates they can start from scratch filling their neighborhoods with the Sims they want in them. No premades already living there.

I will say I think TS1 was much more diverse in many ways than any of the others. If you visit Magic Town, not many whites show up only a few of the staple premades, like the Goths, the Pleasants etc.

The game was originally about the Goths, and a few of their neighbors. So, no I'm not offended because TS1 was very diverse on community lots more so than TS3 ever dreamed of being.

I don't play the premades they get deleted but I would like to see the default generator create Sims with physical attributes that belong to each race that would make the game more diverse.

Some one said some Sims just look like a white Sim with a tan. I agree. A lot of the black Sims in the game have blue eyes. I would assume the game uses anything available in the game much like if you add CC clothes, your townies show up in a nightcap if that is the last thing you added to your CC.

I don't play the towns the way they are meant to be played. I play themed characters so I'm not bothered by the lack of a 50/50 white/black population in any of the worlds.

If I want a Sims of color I create one, though I am bothered the color wheel in TS3's skins isn't dark enough sometimes. Nor am I too happy the color wheel for a skin isn't as olive as some of my Italian friends. That's why I love CC skins where moders understand the differences in all of us whether they are in physical attributes or the beautiful highlights and shades of a persons' skin is what make a great game when it comes to creating a Sim. Though I don't have any CC in TS3. They create what they see, highlights on the cheeks, or darker shades on the nose or forhead etc. If I want a proper skin I turn to a modder not EA. This includes skins for whites also.

I think as long as EA gives players the tools to create any Sim they want all is good..because they know I'm going to delete half their community anyway. And replace it with my hobbits, my next adventure into fantasy land whether that is in middle earth, under the sea in Atlantis. :wink:
    Or maybe just a poor working stiff who has two jobs next time.

Or perhaps the next time I play it's a chicken farm, with a lady who had so many kids she didn't know what to do, and she hasn't removed those hair rollers out of her hair in years. :P

What I want them to bring back is the Hicks hairstyle :lol: ....so I can make my own Miss Hicks. Am I going to stereotype her? yes, probably so did they..I would probably put her in a run down trailer park just like they did in TS1. :P

BTW for those that don't know Mrs. Hicks is a white lady in TS1 who walks around with hair rollers in her hair, wears a 'housecoat'/robe instead of a dress, and lives in a dumpy house and has a dumpy yard.

Stereotyped the south right there, does it offend me? no, because I know people like that...now that is diversity...TS1 wasn't afraid, and I hope TS4 is no longer so politically correct either.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.