Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help me decide

I posted this in the Supernatural section too but thought I would also ask here since I am also asking about other games.

With the sale going on, I was thinking of picking up Supernatural. I would love the town and I think being a vampire would be fun. Here are my worries:

I don't want Zombies running around in all my saved games but there seems to be no way to turn them off. Is there a cheat or something?

Are all my Sims going to feel "stalked" if they are not vampires? This is the reason I had to turn them off in Late Night. I do own Late Night but I had it uninstalled forever due to that reason. Drove me nuts.

Otherwise I think I would love the town and some of the new objects. I like the idea of fairies too but not sure I want to be one.

I like the idea of being a vampire and these seem different than Late Night's vampires so I think that aspect would be fun.

Mainly I am worried about the "stalking" and the zombies. Should I get it or will I just wind up turning it off due to zombies driving me insane in all my games and my Sims in ALL of my towns feeling "stalked". If Supernatural was my only saved gamed I wouldn't care so much but what happens when I am in roaring Heights and constantly am getting attacked by zombies? That is my concern.

I also do not own Into the Future, University or Island Paradise. So if not Supernatural which of those would be the most fun? My concern about IP is that it will lag the crap out of my game. I have a 2010 gaming computer with around 16gb of Ram and right now I get very little to no lag.

Comments

• Options
    pegasas1993pegasas1993 Posts: 4,856 Member
    edited December 2013
    Well, you can always set a moon to be static in other towns. As the result, no zombie invasions in other towns :mrgreen:

I'd recommend IP if you really enjoyed WA. It's kind of expansion to that expansion pack :lol: And I wouldn't care about lag that much with 2010 gaming computer as I run all games with the highest settings and tons of THE STORE content with almost no lag :mrgreen: Oh! And I own HP PB 4540s laptop (pretty new, but I'm prety sure it's not as powerful as your PC) :mrgreen:
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited December 2013
    SN is the reason I actually play this game. Seriously. The supernatural lifestates are super fun. Fencing your yard and locking your gate DOES seem to keep the zombies that appear on the full moon off your lot now. Generally only a couple show up and complain outside your gate. LOL So they aren't a big problem anymore.
  • Options
    Wishonmeh05Wishonmeh05 Posts: 637 Member
    edited December 2013
    Like others said, if Zombies is the only reason your hesitant on getting Supernatural then just set the moon phase to static and you will never have a full moon.

Zombies only come out on a full moon (they revert back to normal sims the next morning) and I really have not had any problems. I might get 1-3 pop up on my lot during a full moon and they just stand outside the door for a few hours complaining that they can't get in. Just make sure that if you have a garden to have a fence around it because they will destroy plants.
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited December 2013
    The 'stalked' moodlet only comes up if your sim is around a vampire they're not friends with.

They've expanded the Vamps some from the LN version. I never really play the other life states except for witches because I don't like the crazy long life spans. However, I've made some of my favorite Midnight Hollow townies vamps so multiple generations can be friends with them :P.

SN also comes with a ton of objects, and alchemy is an awesome new skill, imo. :)
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited December 2013
    What does "static" mean, in regards to the Sims 3?
    It's the only term I don't understand when used in this way :oops:

I like a lot of the items in Supernatural! :mrgreen:
    And using a fence & gate keep the zombies off lots & out of gardens.

(I ONLY wish I had not paid full retail. It went so cheap later :cry: )
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited December 2013
    What does "static" mean, in regards to the Sims 3?
    It's the only term I don't understand when used in this way :oops:

I like a lot of the items in Supernatural! :mrgreen:
    And using a fence & gate keep the zombies off lots & out of gardens.

(I ONLY wish I had not paid full retail. It went so cheap later :cry: )

It means setting it so it doesn't change. For example, if you set your sims needs as 'static' they won't get tired or hungry or dirty. In regards to the lunar phases, you can set it so it always a full moon, for example, or so that is never a full moon. :)

I know what you mean regarding the prices, but I'm too impatient to wait for sales on EPs :lol:
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In regards to the lunar phases, you can set it so it always a full moon, for example, or so that is never a full moon. :)
    Thanks for the quick answer!
    So that means I had the right idea in my head of what it might have meant, BUT not how to do it. :lol:
    Is that using the "mailbox cheat"? :?:
    I am trying not to use cheats for new game I started, once again.
    A couple times I toyed with the settings for lunar phases, but messed it up so bad I put it back to default.
    Does that mean the zombies can be eliminated without a mod?
    I am not sure how to set the lunar cycle properly...I guess I can try again, til I get it right :lol:
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited December 2013
    The moon phase is under options when you go into a town, you go into options and it is under the same game one that sets the temperature I think as celsius or farenheit. For the op, you can also choose whether or not to have the rest of the supernaturals ie fairies witches vampires or werewolves show up in your town. So only deal with the ones you want, and the ones you don't want, don't deal! For instance, I just had a town I chose the only supernatural to be witches.
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited December 2013
    In regards to the lunar phases, you can set it so it always a full moon, for example, or so that is never a full moon. :)
    Thanks for the quick answer!
    So that means I had the right idea in my head of what it might have meant, BUT not how to do it. :lol:
    Is that using the "mailbox cheat"? :?:
    I am trying not to use cheats for new game I started, once again.
    A couple times I toyed with the settings for lunar phases, but messed it up so bad I put it back to default.
    Does that mean the zombies can be eliminated without a mod?
    I am not sure how to set the lunar cycle properly...I guess I can try again, til I get it right :lol:

Like gayars said. Use the options menu, there will be a tab that gives you the option of choosing the lunar phase. You will have the choice to set a number of days to pass until the full moon, or to set the lunar cycle to stay in one phase. Zombies only appear during a full moon. Set your lunar cycle to remain in one phase all the time - static = not moving or changing. It can be in any phase except full moon. So if you choose waxing gibbous for example, the moon will remain in that phase all the time. The moon will never change and you will have no zombies.

I have mine set this way so there will be no zombies in my town. It is not a cheat or a mod. It is part of the game so you don't have to worry since you enjoy playing without cheats.

To the OP:

Here is a link with some information about the Supernatural ep to help with your decision. :D
    http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/supernatural/
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    edited December 2013
    Wow what great replies. This is why I love simmers. Such nice people play this game. Anyway, thank you for all your feedback. I have decided to take the plunge and get the game because I really want to be a vampire in Midnight Hollow. I built a very cool gothic home for that town and so Supernatural would be great for that.

Can't beat it on sale right now for 11.99. So anyone else reading this that is considering it, I say go for it. I am so happy about the zombie issue as that was my biggest concern. Thanks again everyone and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Monet11 wrote:
    set the lunar cycle to stay in one phase. Zombies only appear during a full moon. Set your lunar cycle to remain in one phase all the time - static = not moving or changing. It can be in any phase except full moon. So if you choose waxing gibbous for example, the moon will remain in that phase all the time. The moon will never change and you will have no zombies.

I have mine set this way so there will be no zombies in my town. It is not a cheat or a mod. It is part of the game so you don't have to worry since you enjoy playing without cheats.
    Thank you!
    Originally I got confused from those that said we needed a mod to get rid of them completely.
    And I apparently set the moon options to a wrong thing :oops:
    Glimmer50 wrote:
    I also do not own Into the Future, University or Island Paradise. So if not Supernatural which of those would be the most fun? My concern about IP is that it will lag the crap out of my game. I have a 2010 gaming computer with around 16gb of Ram and right now I get very little to no lag.
    I have all the EXP & ST pks...BUT it started lagging for me after IP :(
    I also love the items & features too much to give it up.
    They each have cool things. I originally was unhappy when I 1st heard about ITF, but ended up liking it a lot after all, ESP the items! :mrgreen:
    I also paid full price for most of what I got, so others grabbing them at a discount is good deal, in case later you want to try them
    (might be hard to find later)
    (at least I bought some retail worlds for a decent sale - 4 Worlds, $26 total, inc.tax) :lol:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Word to the wise as I just spent all day dealing with this. I downloaded Supernatural from Origins and it said I had to uninstall my base game and then reinstall it because it wasn't installed on Origins. So like a FOOL I did it and then couldn't run the launcher or the game because I didn't have the latest patch. Yep, apparently everything patches to the base game now. Anyway, my launcher keep saying error and would close and not work so I was frustrated and have spent all day looking for a solution other than installing ALL my games again...

I did finally find a helpful thread about this issue and was able to manually install a patch that solved the problem. It is in the technical forum I believe on page 6. Crinrict found a solution. Now, my game works again..whew. So if you buy something from Origin and it tells you to uninstall your base game DON"T DO IT...there is another way. You can right click on it and it brings up something you can click on..I didn't do it so I am not sure what it looks like but it will start installing the new game.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Glimmer50 wrote:
    Word to the wise as I just spent all day dealing with this. I downloaded Supernatural from Origins and it said I had to uninstall my base game and then reinstall it because it wasn't installed on Origins. So like a FOOL I did it and then couldn't run the launcher or the game because I didn't have the latest patch. Yep, apparently everything patches to the base game now. Anyway, my launcher keep saying error and would close and not work so I was frustrated and have spent all day looking for a solution other than installing ALL my games again...

I did finally find a helpful thread about this issue and was able to manually install a patch that solved the problem. It is in the technical forum I believe on page 6. Crinrict found a solution. Now, my game works again..whew. So if you buy something from Origin and it tells you to uninstall your base game DON"T DO IT...there is another way. You can right click on it and it brings up something you can click on..I didn't do it so I am not sure what it looks like but it will start installing the new game.

I believe what you clicked on, so as NOT to need to do that whole "uninstall/reinstall", was the " i " :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Yes you are right it was the i. I couldn't think of it thank you. That will help many I think.

Chimark I just clicked on your link and that sale must be over because Amazon has it for 11.99. Thanks for the info though. In the future I think I will try Amazon first.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Glimmer50 wrote:
    Yes you are right it was the i. I couldn't think of it thank you. That will help many I think.
    You're Welcome :D
    I remember going through same thing & Crinrict had the helpful solution :mrgreen:
    Hope you enjoy the game too!
  • Options
    Angel_D0109Angel_D0109 Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited December 2013
    Supernatural is my favourite EP! You've got to like magic and odd things in your game to like it though... so if you don't then SN isn't for you. I apologize if some of this has been said, too lazy to read through the thread and who knows, maybe I've pointed out something new!

Zombies: you can turn them off by going into your options and setting the moon to only one phase. It can be any phase EXCEPT a full moon because that's when all the crazy stuff happens. If you do this it also means werewolves won't autonomously change and be stuck in their werewolf form for the night.

Vampires: If you befriend a vampire your sim will no longer have the "hunted" moodlet. It really isn't a big deal if they have it anyways, nothing happens. Honestly they aren't much different from late night (or so I've heard, I don't own LN). I LOVE playing vampires, I like making other townies into my vampire minions.

I don't own the other EPs you're considering but for myself personally I would probably go with University. I'd be concerned about lag with IP and ITF just isn't for me.

EDIT: Just like to add that the objects from this EP are amazingly gorgeous! They're so fancy and if you like building mansions or living in luxury then you'll be using them ALL OF THE TIME!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    To those of you who suggested I get Supernatural..A BIG HUGE THANK YOU. :mrgreen:

This EP is so much fun. I didn't think I would like it so imagine my surprise when I couldn't or should I say still can't stop playing it. :shock:

I am enjoying everything so far. From the objects to the magic and everything in between, this is a fun EP..oh I love decorating with all of it. I have a fairy, witch and a vampire. I haven't fully explored them yet but am having the best time building their themed houses and playing with magic.

I have found the three quarter moon to be a good moon to set it at and still avoid zombies because here are the moon phases:

The moodlets associated with moon phases are:

a small negative for the new moon, I think -5.
    +5 for a quarter
    +10 for a half
    +20 for the gibbous (three quarter)
    +40 for the full

so you still get the +20 if it is at three quarter.

I highly recommend this EP if your on the fence. Just love it. Wish I was better at building a fairy cottage though. I would love a shell to decorate.

Anyway, maybe I will try my hand at building or research shells out there. Having a blast :mrgreen: Thanks again fellow Simmers.
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited January 2014
    on my old computer I had some sort of glitch where LOTS of zombies spawned all the time regardless of moon phase, NEVER fully reverted back to normal and nothing ever really fixed any of it. I couldn't even port a sim to a vacation world or copy them to the bin, because "only humans can travel". Just made playing unbearable, obviously. Eventually the game categorized everyone in town as a zombie except for the sims I was controlling.

This time around, they seem to be mostly harmless. I only skimmed the thread, so maybe you've said, but have you tried playing with zombies enabled? The other supernaturals really like the full moon -- there's all kinds of moodlets, opportunities, lifetime points, more potent elixers etc that they only get with a full moon.