Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Growing Together - Compatibility

Can someone explain to me how this works? My sim self has children who have awful and bad compatibility between their siblings. How do you work on improving the compatibility?

Comments

• Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2023
    The system is based on the traits sim A has against the likes/dislike characteristics sim B has. There may be some other impacts as well but generally traits and characteristic likes are the things to change.

If you want them to have great compatibility then go into CAS for both of them and change their personality characteristic likes and dislikes so that they like the traits of the other and don’t dislike them.

If you just don’t want them to have bad compatibility then remove or change their dislike characteristics and it should become at least neutral.

I’m not sure if the compatibility itself improves by just playing but if your sims change their traits through gameplay (or CAS) that will affect it.
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I really want to know exactly how compatibility is calculated. I have a Sim that literally hates every single Sim (dislikes all types of Sims) and he predictably has Awful Compatibility for MOST Sims...except for a small handful of people (who are just Bad Compatible).
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,948 Member
    edited March 2023
    Compatibility can be improved by changing Sim Characteristic likes and dislikes in CAS. When you change them, take note of the traits other sims you want your sim to be compatible with have and choose accordingly. Due to CAS giving some base game examples, you may take a look into my discussion in this Forums.
    If you haven't set any, the game may set one Characteristic preference for you. In addition, befriending a sim may bring up a pop-up asking if you want to add their Characteristic in your sim's likes and the other way around.
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    I really want to know exactly how compatibility is calculated. I have a Sim that literally hates every single Sim (dislikes all types of Sims) and he predictably has Awful Compatibility for MOST Sims...except for a small handful of people (who are just Bad Compatible).

Indeed... Though again, this thread. In short, the personality traits that the Characteristic "likes" add 3 points and traits the Characteristic "dislikes" remove 1 point. Disliking the Characteristic turns the scores around, making 3 into -3 and -1 into 1.
    If your sim dislikes both Cerebral and Idealist sims for example, the Creative trait will take 3 points (Idealist), but add 1 point (Cerebral), resulting in a total score of -2 points.

If your sim dislikes every Characteristic, these traits will help to save your sim from Awful Compatibility:
    • Proper (even gives 2 plus points)
    • Unflirty (even gives 1 plus point)
    • Good (Neutral)
    • Self-Assured
    • Snob
    • Gloomy
    While those are the "heavy-hitters":
    • Hot-Headed
    • Mean
    • Bookworm
    • Evil
    • Goofball
    • Jealous
    • Geek

So theoretically, sims that dislike every Characteristic can actually have Good Compatibility with sims who have Proper, Unflirty, and Good traits. Though do remember that it also takes into account sim's likes (in activities) and lifestyles. Plus if the other sim likes the Characteristics your sim has, you can even bump it up to Amazing Compatibility.

So, in short, it could have two causes:
    1. The other sim has "light-hitter" traits or even Proper, Unflirty, or Good trait(s).
    2. The other sim's Characteristic likes give points toward the overall score.