Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this computer good enough for Sims?

Hi there, I just bought a HP Envy H8-1485 for gaming. At the computer warehouse, it was the best at the moment. It features 16GB Ram, A 3rd Generation i7 Processor, 3.4, and an Nvidia GTX640 with 3GB Dedicated Graphics, and three terabytes!

As I was looking over the web, the Nvidia GTX640 was a lower-end graphics. This put me in a bad mood. I have a 1920x1080 (I think)please tell me your view on it for The Sims, on high settings..

:)

Comments

• Options
    SmokeyBearzSmokeyBearz Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited December 2012
    lol Your system is overkill!
    I have the Nvidia 450GTX, and my game runs fine.

Heck you could probably play the sims on a 40" monitor if you wanted.
  • Options
    dramaqueenlpdramaqueenlp Posts: 792 Member
    edited December 2012
    I think you must mean GT 640 and if so, correct, it's on the low end of high-end graphics cards. If you have a couple hundred, you could upgrade. I'm not so sure about running on all high.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    lol Your system is overkill!
    I have the Nvidia 450GTX, and my game runs fine.

I'm not sure why you think this is impressive or something?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    This PC has entertainment covered too. It boasts an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 640 graphics card, with 3 GB of dedicated memory for speedy graphics handling and hardware video editing acceleration. Combine this with the Blu-ray player and you're ready for an evening of fantastic entertainment.
  • Options
    ryansimsgameryansimsgame Posts: 119
    edited December 2012
    I think you must mean GT 640 and if so, correct, it's on the low end of high-end graphics cards. If you have a couple hundred, you could upgrade. I'm not so sure about running on all high.

Nope, on the website it said 'GTX 640' it must be a mistake or something, but anyway, I have 200 of my money to spend, and the Nvidia GTX660 is on sale for around 140, if I get that?:)
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Nope, on the website it said 'GTX 640' it must be a mistake or something, but anyway, I have 200 of my money to spend, and the Nvidia GTX660 is on sale for around 140, if I get that?:)
    Strange. I can't find it anywhere. But if I go by the 680 and 670 up top at the high end, then the 640 must not be that bad.

The GTX 660 is a great card and the 660ti is an even greater card.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    and 140 is a good price for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I just assumed playing on a huge monitor would require more CPU/GPU ressources.
    Sorry if I offended you in any way, yes I'm a newb in many areas.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Strange. I can't find it anywhere. But if I go by the 680 and 670 up top at the high end, then the 640 must not be that bad.

Well, what I will do is wait until Christmas, the day I get it, and then test it out, if I am satisfied with the performance, then i'll leave it, but if it disappoints me, i'll upgrade to the new 680, a few days after Christmas. My other option was a 9800, but looking at reviews its old!:/ lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I just assumed playing on a huge monitor would require more CPU/GPU ressources.
    Sorry if I offended you in any way, yes I'm a newb in many areas.
    Lol, no offense, I was just trying to understand your logic.
    I mean, my computer is outdated since I bought it in January and it was only a grand, but I run a 24" and 42" at the same time. Both on 1080p. A higher resolution is going to use up more resources, but really in the overall scheme of things, it's unimportant.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Like I said. I have the 450GTX, and my game runs fine.
    Don't go wasting your money.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Well, what I will do is wait until Christmas, the day I get it, and then test it out, if I am satisfied with the performance, then i'll leave it, but if it disappoints me, i'll upgrade to the new 680, a few days after Christmas. My other option was a 9800, but looking at reviews its old!:/ lol.

I think this sounds like a good idea!
  • Options
    edited December 2012

I think this sounds like a good idea!

Would you guys like me to remember to post a review of it when I use it? Or make a video in-game? I'd be quite happy to help others. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Like I said. I have the 450GTX, and my game runs fine.
    Don't go wasting your money.
    That's because the 450 isn't a bad graphics card
    lol. You are basically saying 'like I said, I have a really good graphics card and the game runs fine'

I can't physically find the 640 anywhere. Not for sale. Not in benchmarks.
    I'm assuming because the 680 and 670 and 660 are high up, then the 640 is probably somewhere in the mid-range of the high-end cards.

I'm running on a 6850 Radeon which is mid-level now since it's obviously fallen in the past year. I could most definitely run on all high if it weren't for the fact that I have a terribly slow hard drive that just causes too much stop and go lag.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Would you guys like me to remember to post a review of it when I use it? Or make a video in-game? I'd be quite happy to help others.

I would definitely watch it, but only on a cinema screen.
    So get shopping!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I can't physically find the 640 anywhere. Not for sale. Not in benchmarks.
    She doesn't have a 640. She has a 640GTX. Even better than my 450GTX.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Would you guys like me to remember to post a review of it when I use it? Or make a video in-game? I'd be quite happy to help others.

I would definitely watch it, but only on a cinema screen.
    So get shopping!

Thanks!:)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Ok I just reread the thread, and you were right about it not being a GTX, but a GT.
    (you guys are too fast for me).

But I did find a comparison between my GTX450 and the GT640
    http://www.hwcompare.com/12851/geforce-gt-640-ddr3-vs-geforce-gts-450-1gb/

I'm not a tech, but they look like they're about the same (slightly better).
    It's not a top of the line card, like the rest of your system, but it does the trick.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Ok I just reread the thread, and you were right about it not being a GTX, but a GT.
    (you guys are too fast for me).

But I did find a comparison between my GTX450 and the GT640
    http://www.hwcompare.com/12851/geforce-gt-640-ddr3-vs-geforce-gts-450-1gb/

I'm not a tech, but they look like they're about the same (slightly better).
    It's not a top of the line card, like the rest of your system, but it does the trick.

Yes!:) It seems like a good card, not the best, but certainly not the worst :)