Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will this be a good laptop for Seasons?

Hi everybody!!

My current laptop is good for running The Sims 3 plus all EPs and SPs, if a little slow when loading and saving.

I would be happy with that if it weren't for the BSOD I'm getting when I turn on the laptop and other problems loading it, therefore I'm looking into getting a new one.

I've come across this one here:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/technology/computing/laptops_and_netbooks/alllaptopsnetbooks/122864894_acer_aspire_5750g_lxrxl02059_intel_core_i32350m_4gb_500gb_156_led_lcd_notebook_black.html?esrc=googlebase&med=cse&CAWELAID=1267282528

and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it will be good for running all the EPs and SPs and good for loading? Or if anyone has any suggestions for any I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you! :D

EDIT: I should add that a desktop PC isn't an option at the moment as I'm a student and it's easier for me to take a laptop to the library and classes than it would be to take a desktop haha. It's also easier when I'm moving from home to halls and stuff.

Comments

• Options
    pandora4copandora4co Posts: 729 Member
    edited November 2012
    That computer processor is slower 2.30GHz vs mine which is 2.40GHz.
    My laptop has 6GB ram vs that one's 4GB.

While the graphic card is slightly better than the one I'm using, I'm not sure if it will make up for the lesser processor speed and less ram.

Currently my laptop cannot run the game with all SP/EP's installed on max graphic setting without lagging. It does play the game smoothly on a combo of med/high settings, but the game does take a long time to render (make objects appear and not appear white) when quickly moving the camera from place to place w/in a world.

My game does take a few 3-5 minutes to load a world.
  • Options
    roggekroggek Posts: 66 Member
    edited November 2012
    The bottleneck is the graphics card, 610M is a low end card...
    And with "shared memory", it's not recommended to play The Sims 3...
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-610M.63759.0.html

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-610m

The graphics will suffer, with long loading times and probably game performance...

My persoanl opinion is that The Sims 3 should be played on a stationary computer or a Alienware laptop...
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited November 2012
    Thank you for getting back to me. Would I be right in thinking that this laptop also wouldn't be so good to play the game?

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_Timeline_Ultra_M3-581TG_1301830.html

I'm currently playing on about medium to high settings, so I don't mind playing on similar settings anyway. Obviously if I can get a laptop that will allow me to play on high settings, that would be a bonus!! :lol:

Do either of you have any suggestions for good laptops?
  • Options
    VihzelVihzel Posts: 734 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Hmm... it would be a bit difficult to recommend something since I don't really know UK websites. You would have to provide some more information on your budget, like the highest price point you would be comfortable with.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

This is a good website to compare notebook graphics cards.
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited November 2012
    If you are getting one for gaming you need to look high end as games will constantly improve and need better computers/laptops to run them all.

If a laptop can only run games on medium now they will quite probably not run games at all in another 2 years at most as the system requirements get higher .

Especially with the sims as more and more Ep's or content get added .

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I'll be able to spend about £500 on one, but I'm not looking for the best of the best. I only play The Sims 3 on my laptop, I have an Xbox 360 for my other games.

If I can get a decent enough one at that price which will play The Sims 3, I will be happy. As I am mainly using my laptop for work at the moment I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on one when I will only use it for work and The Sims 3 :lol: .
  • Options
    VihzelVihzel Posts: 734 New Member
    edited November 2012
    If you are getting one for gaming you need to look high end as games will constantly improve and need better computers/laptops to run them all.

If a laptop can only run games on medium now they will quite probably not run games at all in another 2 years at most as the system requirements get higher .

Especially with the sims as more and more Ep's or content get added .

In addition, if you are planning to keep the laptop for a long time... then you should plan for The Sims 4 when it's released in 2014.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I'll probably be keeping the new one for 2-3 years. I doubt I'll be getting The Sims 4 (where did you find the release date?) until a few years down the line and it's had time to establish itself.
  • Options
    katiesmith12341katiesmith12341 Posts: 34 Member
    edited November 2012
    roggek wrote:
    The bottleneck is the graphics card, 610M is a low end card...
    And with "shared memory", it's not recommended to play The Sims 3...

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-610m

The graphics will suffer, with long loading times and probably game performance...

My personal opinion is that The Sims 3 should be played on a stationary computer or a Alienware laptop...

^^ This

The laptop your looking at would be a touch and go buy and would probably end up running on low settings, after you start using it for work and putting documents on it and loading the hardrive and shared graphics up, it might just not be suitable for the job.

I have a decent Dell Inspiron M 5030 laptop with 4gb of ram and a HD Radeon graphics card (2011), bought on ebay for a bargain of 180 quid!!! worked well for me on medium graphics..Though...Sims 3 became unplayable on medium after supernatural was released and seasons. (although it plays it on low pretty well.)

I moved to a Packard bell 8gb HD radeon graphics desktop.(2012) and it could play it no better for the price I played of 300 quid. LOL

A good laptop? In MY opinion and discoveries.... Anything Dell,Packard, or of course alienware. with at least 4gb ram and not a shared graphics card if you can help it. LOL

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Thank you Katie.

Would anyone say that this one here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Quad-Core-Fast-Gaming-Laptop-4GB-RAM-500GB-WIFI-15-6-HD-LED-Windows-7-/110980317657?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&****=item19d6f141d9

Is a good one?

It seems good to me, but I'm not computer savvy :lol:
  • Options
    bigfacealbigfaceal Posts: 8 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Hi Weealbet,

The one from ebay I wouldn't get as the speed of the Processor is only 1.8 GHz up to 2.8GHz in Turbo Mode but It's me & The Sims 3 need at least a 2.0 p4 or better to run.

What I would look for is for the Processor or the cpu to be at least 2.3 GHz or better.

The Graphics I would look for it to be what People call Dedicated which mean's It has got it own Memory doesn't steal from your Ram Don't buy a laptop with shared graphics card eg Intel HD Graphics.

About the 610M Guys It isn't a shared memory graphics card It is a Dedicated one I got it on the laptop that I bought a few months ago It works well on the Sims 3 & it works great on the other games that I have got like The Witcher 2. What Notebook Check say is that The NVIDIA GeForce 610M is an entry level dedicated laptop graphics card a basic one if you like.

Ram I would look for at least 6 to 8 gb of Ram.

Operating system should be 64bit so you can use all that ram you are going to use Window 7 64 bit so you are fine on that one.

Just one more thing as you are a student make sure the laptop has got Wireless So you can use WiFi at places like the Library.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Thank you Big. I have been looking out for laptops with dedicated graphics cards (I may not have known what it meant, but I knew it was better for gaming than integrated ones :lol: . So thank you for clearing that up for me!!)

I've found a few on eBay which I'm hoping might still be around by the time I get my second loan through or my grant (it is work related too, so I'm justifying using my student money for it lol).

I've been checking the cards with that site and one of the laptops at just over my budget was showing to be playing absolutely fine in the mid-high range, and seemed to tick all the other boxes too, which was a bonus. They were only available for a week, so I may have to speak nicely to my parents about it lol.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited November 2012
    If possible you should go for a i7 processor and at least 8 ram.
    You can replace the ram, but you can't replace the processor so go for the 3rd generation i7. A teck told me this one.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited November 2012
    The current processor speed to play the game is 2.13Ghz or higher. The other ones are for simple tasks.

Hard Drive: 500GB lame hard drive amount most my books sell hard drives of 1 or 2(Terabyes) TB if I do my math right 1 TeraByte is two 500GB hard drives.

The sims game takes up a lot of space on the hard drive with all the expansions and stuff. The sims 3 is a memory hug(pig). I didn't realize that until I ran a MMORG most are known for their famous memory leaks, I was surprised to find out that a MMORG game Star Trek Online had less memory requirement than The Sims 3 a single player program. Most windows programs will at least run on 2GB(Ram chip memory) Windows has a natural habit of doubling that memory using hard drive space as a virtual memory. So get only the memory you need because windows will double your memory that you have installed as virtual memory. So if you have 2GB memory windows will double it to 4GB of memory. For those that have 6GB of memory windows will double it to 12GB of memory which eventually for small hard drives will slow computers down.

This is the man reason why new computers may run so slow is because they got over borked on memory with either a low quality hard drive or a hard drive that is not all that big.

Graphic Cards in laptops there is no room for graphic cards in laptops so they use a chipset. The GPU is integrated on the motherboard by a good one as if that one gets over worked your pc is useless. This is why I prefer towers over computers, but I don't mind labtops when it comes to having a computer for class.
    If I where you I would get the labtop with 1 T hard drive and most intel HD graphic chipset support the game. The current graphic card I have on my labtop is a intel HD chipset. I don't know my graphic card right at the moment as I am using my desktop, but my labtop can play Star Trek Online and The Sims 3. Just ask me either here or in PM and I will look it up and post it for you.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    BlackTiger0095BlackTiger0095 Posts: 173 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I really don't like to use Alienware for anything because Dell blows so hard but this computer would most likely run the sims 3 just fine with very stable frame rates, medium setting I'm guessing. Even so, it's still going to suck.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Alienware-Gaming-Laptop-M14x-2-2GHz-i7-2670QM-6GB-750GB-HDD-GT555M-/190762427401?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&****=item2c6a53a409

Why do you need a laptop, laptops SUCK for gaming, laptops are slow, inefficient and overheat too fast, unless it's strickly for work or school then it's super convenient, is your laptop for work/college on the go? Get a gaming desktop, you get a lot more bang for your buck and a heck of a lot cheaper, if your work and college is not on the go that is but even so, shouldn't you be using it strictly for those reasons and not gaming?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Sid1701D9 wrote:
    *SNIP*

Graphic Cards in laptops there is no room for graphic cards in laptops so they use a chipset. The GPU is integrated on the motherboard by a good one as if that one gets over worked your pc is useless. This is why I prefer towers over computers, but I don't mind labtops when it comes to having a computer for class.
    If I where you I would get the labtop with 1 T hard drive and most intel HD graphic chipset support the game. The current graphic card I have on my labtop is a intel HD chipset. I don't know my graphic card right at the moment as I am using my desktop, but my labtop can play Star Trek Online and The Sims 3. Just ask me either here or in PM and I will look it up and post it for you.

Thanks for your advice there. If I can get a laptop with 1TB, then I will, but I've got no problem with using an external hard drive for my work. Would it be possible for you to post what computer or laptop you have please? Does yours play the game well?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I really don't like to use Alienware for anything because Dell blows so hard but this computer would most likely run the sims 3 just fine with very stable frame rates, medium setting I'm guessing. Even so, it's still going to suck.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Alienware-Gaming-Laptop-M14x-2-2GHz-i7-2670QM-6GB-750GB-HDD-GT555M-/190762427401?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&****=item2c6a53a409

Why do you need a laptop, laptops SUCK for gaming, laptops are slow, inefficient and overheat too fast, unless it's strickly for work or school then it's super convenient, is your laptop for work/college on the go? Get a gaming desktop, you get a lot more bang for your buck and a heck of a lot cheaper, if your work and college is not on the go that is but even so, shouldn't you be using it strictly for those reasons and not gaming?

That one there is a couple hundred pounds out of my price range :lol:

As I said in my original post, having a desktop at the moment isn't an option because I'm using it for classes too, I'm also living away from home so when I travel I need to be able to take my laptop on the airplanes with me too, an option I wouldn't have with a desktop. I don't see how I can't use my laptop for both work and entertainment? With the exception of recent problems with my laptop it has and still is working just fine with what I do with it?? I'm not getting your point there at the last part? I purchased the laptop myself, it isn't something my university gave me, so I'm not abusing it or anything :lol:
  • Options
    shadowmel333shadowmel333 Posts: 83 Member
    edited November 2012
    I have a laptop with a Nvidia GT 540M graphic card and it runs the sims 3 up to seasons on high with no lag at all, so the GT 640M should be more than enough.

However, I have a i5 processor and 8G of ram, so the extra power might help. The i3 processor may be a bit slow, but my friend plays the game on a laptop with this CPU and she says everything runs fine.

I'd advise you to have as much ram and processor power as you can, and a cooling pad ... because laptops get hot really fast.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited November 2012
    Weealbet wrote:
    Hi everybody!!

My current laptop is good for running The Sims 3 plus all EPs and SPs, if a little slow when loading and saving.

I would be happy with that if it weren't for the BSOD I'm getting when I turn on the laptop and other problems loading it, therefore I'm looking into getting a new one.

I've come across this one here:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/technology/computing/laptops_and_netbooks/alllaptopsnetbooks/122864894_acer_aspire_5750g_lxrxl02059_intel_core_i32350m_4gb_500gb_156_led_lcd_notebook_black.html?esrc=googlebase&med=cse&CAWELAID=1267282528

and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it will be good for running all the EPs and SPs and good for loading? Or if anyone has any suggestions for any I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you! :D

EDIT: I should add that a desktop PC isn't an option at the moment as I'm a student and it's easier for me to take a laptop to the library and classes than it would be to take a desktop haha. It's also easier when I'm moving from home to halls and stuff.

Wait you said you have labtop now that runs sims 3 just fine love to see the specs, I been into computers every since I was 12 years old and am pretty knowledgeable about computers. I do not know what you mean by this saying

'I would be happy with that if it weren't for the BSOD I'm getting when I turn on the laptop and other problems loading it, therefore I'm looking into getting a new one.'

From my understanding is your getting some beeping sound when your labtop boots up. This could be a number of reasons, either bad hard drive which replacing hard drive is simple with labtops. It depends on the beeps each computer is different some beeps could mean the CMOIS clock battery is dead.

Here are some common errors I have had in the past:

read failed from device 1/0: hardrive error
    write failed from device 1/0: hardrive error

Failure to read to address 0000ba ???dadf
    access denied! memory block error.
    failure to write to address 0000?? abcdf
    access denied memory block error

The last two will cause a error 12 when saving or a critical crash on reloading this is because all memory addresses are used up. This game has a huge memory requirement.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C660D. It has:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    System Model: Satellite C660D
    Processor: AMD E-350 Processor (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 5740MB RAM
    Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics
    Display Memory: 2983 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 369 MB
    Shared Memory: 2613 MB

I don't get BSOD when the game is playing, nor any Error 12 (or any others) while saving. The game runs fine on a mixture of medium - high settings. It takes a little while loading and saving, but generally it's great to run and plays without any problems. Although I did experience a little lag the other day after it rained, but I also had a lot of stuck Sims being re-setted at that point.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Guess you didn't want to know that badly :lol: