Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Foundation height garage?

I'm building a house from a plan I found online and it's on a foundation, as is the attached garage. I know there's a way to attach a ground level garage to a foundation height home, but can you build a garage on the foundation height? If anyone knows how or has links to do it, that would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AlbertaRose0868AlbertaRose0868 Posts: 251 New Member
    edited October 2012
    I don't know of a way to do it,,,but I'm still learning :) The only thing I can think of if I was doing it would be to raise the ground to meet the garage entrance then smooth it in. If you find another way let me know too! LOL
  • Options
    franklear1980franklear1980 Posts: 972 Member
    edited October 2012
  • Options
    okido1987okido1987 Posts: 1,898 Member
    edited October 2012
    I found this one very helpful:

http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=53552&hideFramework=&languageCode

It's not a video so you can go on your own speed! This helped me build my foundation garage.
  • Options
    ninnersninners Posts: 221 Member
    edited October 2012
    I don't know of a way to do it,,,but I'm still learning :) The only thing I can think of if I was doing it would be to raise the ground to meet the garage entrance then smooth it in. If you find another way let me know too! LOL

I tried this, it won't let you raise the ground next to the foundation, you have to leave one square between. I tried it with constrainfloorelevation false too, and that just changed the height of the garage foundation and walls. I'll let you know if any of the other responses help.
  • Options
    will2586will2586 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited October 2012
    http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=287477

This one helped me and it's in Sims 3 instead of 2.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Thanx Ninners! I'd love to figure that one out too. All the tutorials put forth so far are ground level. When I initially read your post I pictured in my head that you wanted to put in the foundation, then build the garage on top of it. So in theory, I'm assuming you need the garage floor to be a few feet above the ground.

When I read your response, I understood exactly what you meant. It's too bad the ground always needs that silly square, it also makes building a basement that is partly above ground impossible as well. Hopefully a solution comes forth. Good luck!
  • Options
    MellieMidgetMellieMidget Posts: 900 Member
    edited October 2012
    deleted
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Zpj9msL.png
  • Options
    MellieMidgetMellieMidget Posts: 900 Member
    edited October 2012
    deleted
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Zpj9msL.png
  • Options
    ninnersninners Posts: 221 Member
    edited October 2012
    Thanx Ninners! I'd love to figure that one out too. All the tutorials put forth so far are ground level. When I initially read your post I pictured in my head that you wanted to put in the foundation, then build the garage on top of it. So in theory, I'm assuming you need the garage floor to be a few feet above the ground.

When I read your response, I understood exactly what you meant. It's too bad the ground always needs that silly square, it also makes building a basement that is partly above ground impossible as well. Hopefully a solution comes forth. Good luck!
    For the basement you can use foundations and lower the ground, creating a walk-out basement level that's one square smaller than the structure's footprint. Lowering the ground lets you go up to the square your foundation is on, raising it doesn't let you. And yes, I want the garage floor and door to be at the same level as the house meaning a sloping driveway. I can't find anything that'll let me do that though, and the methods people are showing look odd with siding because of the angles. I might have to detach the garage :(
  • Options
    will2586will2586 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited October 2012
    ninners wrote:

For the basement you can use foundations and lower the ground, creating a walk-out basement level that's one square smaller than the structure's footprint. Lowering the ground lets you go up to the square your foundation is on, raising it doesn't let you. And yes, I want the garage floor and door to be at the same level as the house meaning a sloping driveway. I can't find anything that'll let me do that though, and the methods people are showing look odd with siding because of the angles. I might have to detach the garage :(

Sometimes when you use other textures it doesn't show. I've become used to the warping for the siding and others have too so I don't think it really bothers many people. But it may bother you so I would go with what you think! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

~Will
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ninners wrote:

I've tried the trick with lowering the foundations, but it leaves a gap with a slope between the wall and the ground. What I was playing around with is where the lower part of the basement is below ground and the upper portion of the walls would be above ground by 3 feet or so. There is no entrance to the basement from the outside as it's all surrounded by ground.

In essence, the top 3 feet of the basement walls would be the foundation of the house. Unfortunately,,after loads of banging my head on the keyboard,,,a few choice words and lots of frustration,,even my DH told me to knock it off! :D