Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realistic 4-Laned Roads For Cities or Highways

Hi CAW Forum people! :lol:

Firstly, I'd like to say that this is still quite experimental, and I'm not trying to step on the toes of anybody else making highway or wide-road systems. I loved Jasumi's Highway and without it, I wouldn't even be experimenting with this now.. Oahu was the world that inspired me to create worlds in first place! :D

Secondly, sorry for the messy world. It's very unfinished. :lol:

Here it is:
Screenshot-714.jpg

Granted it doesn't look like much, but I think it really opens up possibilties for more realistic city worlds. The only problems with Jasumi's aforementioned highway system is that sims drove on the wrong sides of the road, and it was quite hard to create realistic intersections.

With this method, sims drive on the correct sides of the road, different patterns can easily be added to either side (like a bus lane, or a cycle route) and you can create however many lanes you would like (I think you can only see the 4 and 2 lane variations in the pictures but it is possible to create roads from 2 lanes up to a gazzillion lanes really)

It's basically made up of a few road and sidewalk texture variations. It probably breaks some routing "rules" but when I exported it to test today, everything worked fine and there was absolutely no foot-stomping or lag, which was a relief! It doesn't require any mods or CC to work.

Pictures from my test run today with bob:

Screenshot-700.jpg
Screenshot-702.jpg
Screenshot-711.jpg
Screenshot-712.jpg
Screenshot-713.jpg

A slightly rotated intersection showing how roads at awkward angles can join more realisticly than EA's intersections can:

Screenshot-718.jpg
Screenshot-725.jpg
Screenshot-726.jpg

Overview:

Screenshot-727.jpg

Some papparazzi decided to join in the fun:

Screenshot-734.jpg
Screenshot-728.jpg

So there it is! I'm going to create a tutorial as soon as I get more of the world done so I can test this properly, but at the moment it is working great.

I might upload the CAW files if you want to play about in it, but please PM me first. If you're going to use this as a 'starter world' for your own world, there are steps you need to take with S3PE to differentiate it from mine so the exchange won't reject it.

PS Sago Bay is still under development! I'm waiting to buy Supernatural so I can add the elixir store, supernatural hangout etc.

Happy simming! :D

Comments

• Options
    thetideschangingthetideschanging Posts: 250 New Member
    edited September 2012
    Those 4 lane roads look awesome! I would love to read the tutorial for it and implement it in the future. Thanks! :D
  • Options
    ShanShan Posts: 126 Member
    edited September 2012
    I agree, those roads look simply fantastic :D Really curious to see how you managed to make them.
  • Options
    ThomsonJamieThomsonJamie Posts: 392 New Member
    edited September 2012
    Thank you both! I'm just about to upload a template of sorts, with all the road styles used and an example road section, and I'll post that in this thread. It might not be much use until I create the tutorial but at least you can have a play about with it and see what you can do :)
  • Options
    SimExpertJaredSimExpertJared Posts: 865 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I love how people make highways! BTW thompson, I just made three new signatures!

C1498038-1347560968large.jpg

C1498038-1347559061large.jpg

C1498038-1347568035large.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Cool, looks good :)

Click here to download my "City World Kit"

Open the .rar file and copy all of its contents into your CAW/Usertooldata/Worlds folder then open the .world file in Create A World.

The kit is entirely base-game friendly and includes all the roads required, a template showing how the road and intersection is made, resources which recolor the long traffic light (as of the showtime patch) so that it matches the late night "traffic signal" for smaller roads, and some city-friendly textures (all EA recolors apart from "city concrete" which I made :))

If you wish to upload a world using this template please PM me first. The WPID has been changed but if you do not change it again before export, others will not be able to upload worlds using this template.

I will be uploading a tutorial in the next week too!

Happy simmming! :D
  • Options
    Lennon777Lennon777 Posts: 786 New Member
    edited September 2012
    Very good job on this indeed!
  • Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited September 2012
    Again, be careful here. Lag caused by routing problems does not appear right away. First you need to have a populated world. If there are no sims in your world, there are no sims to get stuck, and you will not have lag, no matter how bad your routing is.

I have found that one has to play a fully populated world for at least one generation (although with Midnight Falls, it has been considerably less) for lag to rear its ugly head.

It does not sound like this technique has been playtested anywhere near enough to declare it safe. The fact that the OP says is may cause lag should raise alarms. The last thing wants to do is to put a kludge like this in place, spend months or years creating a world, only to find that it borks worlds.

And making your world cc free will not fix the borkage caused by routing problems.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    tjstreak wrote:
    Again, be careful here. Lag caused by routing problems does not appear right away.

It does not sound like this technique has been playtested anywhere near enough to declare it safe.

And making your world cc free will not fix the borkage caused by routing problems.

I didn't declare it safe. As I said in my first post, "it's still experimental".

And I know that making the world cc free will not fix routing problems. Even I'm really not that silly. :lol: I make my worlds CC free because in my opinion the player should be able to download one creator's content without downloading many other's content first. I'm not a member of the "CC IS EVILL" clan :lol:

Now what I meant by saying there were no routing problems in my first test is that I drove down every road, forwards and backwards, walked down every sidewalk and across every crosswalk, and my sim was able to do so without foot-stomping or the game pausing to think.

It's still experimental

If I were to use CC in create a world, I would create various recolors of the "mesmorising mosaic" to use as road markings, which would eliminate the need for using sidewalks pushed up against eachother, because the 'road paint' would be a footprint-less object rather than a sidewalk, which has routing data in it. Maybe that's something to implement in a future version or if this prototype does cause big problems.

Happy simming and thanks for the feedback everyone! :)
  • Options
    DiamondkoolDiamondkool Posts: 4,481 Member
    edited September 2012
    Wow! :shock:
    7ef6931fe80152dcec309a30cbe73f13.png
    Click on my signature to access my tumblr blog!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Wow! :shock:

Hehe, thanks :P
  • Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited September 2012
    Now what I meant by saying there were no routing problems in my first test is that I drove down every road, forwards and backwards, walked down every sidewalk and across every crosswalk, and my sim was able to do so without foot-stomping or the game pausing to think.

That's what I thought, and why I was urging caution.

To fully test this, the world really needs to be fully populated (150 to 200 sims) and you need to play it for at least a generation. That, on the average, is what it takes before problems will start to appear.

It is practically impossible to have routing problems with an empty world. You also have to give it time, so the sims have a chance to get stuck. Also, using a mod like Overwatch tends to defeat the purpose of the play test.

Then, of course, if there are problems, you have to determine whether it is the roads, or something else. One approach would be to start with a problem free world, and add the roads to that.

And I am not saying don't do it. I am saying be careful. I am also saying that anyone thinking of doing this should also be warned about being careful.
  • Options
    simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited September 2012
    Has anyone tested this in a populated world? It looks intriguing! There's another thread here needing testers for a similar idea:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/592222.page
    Maybe if enough people could test we could be confident to use the ideas in-game. :)
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • Options
    LS_BariLS_Bari Posts: 90 New Member
    edited September 2012
    OMG!! That's awesome!! Can you send me the recolor of the traffic light please? I've been looking fot it for a while!!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    LS_Bari wrote:
    OMG!! That's awesome!! Can you send me the recolor of the traffic light please? I've been looking fot it for a while!!

It's included in the world file I uploaded. You can delete everything else and just use the traffic light.

And it would be great if people would like to test this - I'm still finishing another world and I've not had much time to play with this recently.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    The problem is that I'm almost done with my world and I just need the traffic light texture... you can also give me the texture and I'm gonna import it by my own :)
  • Options
    gurra09gurra09 Posts: 138 Member
    edited October 2012
    This does look interesting.

I downloaded your city kit and there was one thing I had some thoughts about... the use of sidewalks in the four-lane layout. The way you have built it there are a total of six sidewalks on the four lane-road and four of them are actually IN the streets. I can put up a picture if other people want to know what I'm talking about

Mostly a realistic issue, I wouldn't want to find my sims walking around on the actual streets, lol. Also, I don't know if there is possible routing issues when it comes to sidewalks next to each others?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    gurra09 wrote:
    This does look interesting.

I downloaded your city kit and there was one thing I had some thoughts about... the use of sidewalks in the four-lane layout. The way you have built it there are a total of six sidewalks on the four lane-road and four of them are actually IN the streets. I can put up a picture if other people want to know what I'm talking about

Mostly a realistic issue, I wouldn't want to find my sims walking around on the actual streets, lol. Also, I don't know if there is possible routing issues when it comes to sidewalks next to each others?

Yeah, there are 4 there, but when I did my test run, my sim didn't ever use them unless he was walking across the road. What I did like about having them there was that when the car stopped in the actual road, my sim had to walk across the road and the "fake lane" (sidewalks) to get to the lot he had stopped for, unlike in EA worlds where one's sim just teleports from the middle of the road to the front of the lot. :)

On the traffic light texture, if I can find it on my hard drive I'll upload it, but the one used in this world has been replaced with a different texture for a different world so I don't have an uploadable copy yet. If you want to make one yourself, all you have to do is copy the texture from the late night traffic light, paste it into the showtime traffic light texture and import that. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Ok then :)... I'm gonna try this afternoon... thanls again :D

Edit... Can you tell me how to do it xD? I tried but I cant't find LN traffic signal in the workshop... Sorry if I'm bothering you :P
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    LS_Bari wrote:
    Ok then :)... I'm gonna try this afternoon... thanls again :D

Edit... Can you tell me how to do it xD? I tried but I cant't find LN traffic signal in the workshop... Sorry if I'm bothering you :P

TSR Workshop? Don't use that, S3PE and/or S3OC is all you need for recolouring :)

I'll upload it soon. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Thank u so much ^^... u r my hero xD
  • Options
    SexyVampireChickSexyVampireChick Posts: 4
    edited November 2012
    Anybody know where you can get four lane bridge?
  • Options
    SexyVampireChickSexyVampireChick Posts: 4
    edited November 2012
    Also cannot figure out how to do this in my world.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Anybody know where you can get four lane bridge?

You can't, sorry. You can split the lanes off into 2 seperate bridges if you so wish. It's just an illusion really, as cars can't travel in the 2 outer lanes. I'll be putting up a tutorial soon but I'm busy with my world at the moment. :)