Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Red Herring glitch?

My very first sim was an avid fisherman. He quickly got up to level 8 in fishing. Then I started a new family in the same neighborhood, with a young boy. That young boy quickly gained the trait to "gather 13 perfect species of fish in aquariums" (or however it is stated). This time through, I can't seem to figure out how to catch Red Herrings?? Does anyone know what book teaches this? Is it possible that the bookstore only had one copy?? I don't want to switch back to the other family because it will wipe out several very high challenges to my new family. I "visited" my first family and indeed saw his perfect Red Herring in a fishbowl, and I am 99% sure that the first fisherman had no problem figuring out the bait.

Demonbuddy

Comments

• Options
    hypervodkahypervodka Posts: 90 New Member
    edited June 2009
    The bait for red herring are the links you get for hot dogs.
  • Options
    ricola8321ricola8321 Posts: 199 Member
    edited June 2009
    According to the prima guide, the bait for red herring is hot dogs. This may or may not be an error. My sims only seem to catch one or two red herrings before they lose their hot dog bait, so I too am frustrated with the red herring.
  • Options
    bethekinsbethekins Posts: 1,607 New Member
    edited June 2009
    make sure to inspect the water first to see if red herrings spawn there too :)
  • Options
    shay480shay480 Posts: 880 Member
    edited June 2009

I've been catching red herring with bell pepper.

"I'm hungry! Bring me a neighbor!"
    b9b8f6e8.jpg
  • Options
    breathlessbreathless Posts: 63 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Uh, yeah, like, none of the books give the bait for red herring :? idk why, developers forgot about it or wth? :?
  • Options
    Sunnkistt28Sunnkistt28 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2009
    When I fished the red herrings came randomly. I haven't tried the hotdog links. Just try different baits. I've caught one using a red herring... haha.
  • Options
    SupremeAmandaSupremeAmanda Posts: 1,884 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Does anyone actually catch the right fish with the right bait? I ask because i caught three Deathfish while fishing with minnows. Also, I caught a Tuna with a Red Herring.
  • Options
    StylarStylar Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2009
    The worst part about this is that I have a wish to learn Red Herring Bait, I imagine that one will come up to learn Jellyfish bait since those are the 2 that don't have a book. I have spent several hours watching the the fishing channel or searching the library/reading rooms but to no avail. I wonder if they might be caught in the boxes you sometimes pull out of the water I once got a laptop computer on my first Sims and was broke at the time so that was awesome.

I don't know if these are just incredibly difficult tasks such as the growing cheese task or the buy ingredients for ambrosia at the store. I have found no way to do these things either.
  • Options
    YahtzamiYahtzami Posts: 6,301 Member
    edited July 2009
    For the ones that don't have a book, you will fulfill the wish to "Learn Bait for..." when you catch one using the correct bait if I remember correctly. It is a trial and error thing.

BTW...Jellyfish Bait is Grapes! Get it?? Grape...Jellyfish?? LOL
  • Options
    debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited July 2009
    there is no book for red herrings. wiki just says to use hotdogs for red herring. seems like red herring are up for any kind of bait though.
  • Options
    RovieRovie Posts: 34 Member
    edited August 2009
    After several days of traipsing out to the fishery with a bunch of hotdogs, only to not catch a red herring (I checked the water first), I finally caught a red herring with a hot dog! By that time, however, it was a spoiled hot dog and I guess it isn't good enough to record that I used the right bait! :)

BTW ... It is pretty dumb that you can make hot dogs on a grill right next to the hatchery (in Riverview) but you can't use those for bait.
  • Options
    SketchElderSketchElder Posts: 3,517 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I believe the game guide has three of the baits misplaced, and hotdogs are actually the bait for piranha, watermelon is the bait for tuna, and onions are the bait for red herring.

Correction: I checked this last night. The game guide does have three baits misplaced but not the ones I listed above. It's actually minnow for piranha, watermelon for tragic clownfish, and bell pepper for siamese catfish. Hotdogs are the bait for red herring and onion for tuna.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    DemonbuddyDemonbuddy Posts: 93 New Member
    edited August 2009
    After I created this post, I found this link:

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Fishing_(The_Sims_3)

It lists all of the baits, correctly. Supposedly, there are a LOT of errors in the Prima Guide, as they made the guide while the game was still being developed.

I used to buy the Prima guides all the time (got shelves full of them), but lately, they all are wrong. They are too concerned with being available the same day that the game hits the shelves, so they never include late programming changes and (obviously) patches. Now I just buy the game without the guide and hope that the game is popular enough to have an active wiki. :lol:
  • Options
    Birkettboy55Birkettboy55 Posts: 363 New Member
    edited August 2009
    From the title I was thinking it was gonna be something different xD

But thanks, I wanted to know this :D

BBoy

*27/100*
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited August 2009
    Demonbuddy wrote:
    I used to buy the Prima guides all the time (got shelves full of them), but lately, they all are wrong. They are too concerned with being available the same day that the game hits the shelves, so they never include late programming changes and (obviously) patches. Now I just buy the game without the guide and hope that the game is popular enough to have an active wiki. :lol:
    There really is no need to buy the Prima Guide. It contains tons of errors and doesn't actually tell us anything you couldn't learn from this forum. No discussion of stategies or how things actually work. No explanation of how genetics work in the game, for instance. Save your money. Wish I did.

As for the Want to Learn Bait for Red Herring, I think if you fish enough with the hot dogs, you'll eventually learn it. Seems to be how my Sims learned it. FYI.
    Origin ID: nik24x7