Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Better Genetics Please!

I have experimented with the TS3 genetics and find them lacking, in TS2 if you had a light tone and a dark tone the game would randomly select from the skin tones available thus a you could get a medium tone child. In TS3 you have sliders but no matter what tone you use it is 50/50 you either get the mothers or the fathers color. There are obviously # values used to track the color, so why not use these to randomize the tones for blending purposes. Take a light skin value (set to 0) and say a blue skin (set to 50), the random tone should fall either between 0-50 on what ever the parent genetics it chooses to use. So you should be able to have a light blue or even a medium skin tone. Now this won't work if they decide to make a color wheel for skin tones, but I would also like to see color mixing like blue and red making purple and what not.

Comments

• Options
    mjwhittmjwhitt Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Yes, please! Your idea is exactly how I'd want it. Genetics is one of my favorite parts of the game.
  • Options
    Dar4088Dar4088 Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2009
    kwillag wrote:
    I have experimented with the TS3 genetics and find them lacking, in TS2 if you had a light tone and a dark tone the game would randomly select from the skin tones available thus a you could get a medium tone child. In TS3 you have sliders but no matter what tone you use it is 50/50 you either get the mothers or the fathers color. There are obviously # values used to track the color, so why not use these to randomize the tones for blending purposes. Take a light skin value (set to 0) and say a blue skin (set to 50), the random tone should fall either between 0-50 on what ever the parent genetics it chooses to use. So you should be able to have a light blue or even a medium skin tone. Now this won't work if they decide to make a color wheel for skin tones, but I would also like to see color mixing like blue and red making purple and what not.

I totally agree. TS3 has taken a major step backwards in the genetics department.
  • Options
    kwillagkwillag Posts: 277 Member
    edited June 2009
    The hair genetics are wonky too, Brown and Black should be dominant but TS3 throw that out, I had a black haired Sim and a blond haired sim have a CAS baby and every time I clicked the random button no matter the gender, the child had, 9 times out of 10, blond hair.
  • Options
    VuckicVuckic Posts: 17 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Definately, another thing I had problems with was my kids being born with grey hair. Their father is getting on and a few grey hairs have started to show - But they make my babies greyhaired? Why, ****** you? :roll:
  • Options
    RakeeshRakeesh Posts: 670 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I believe the reason for this is because currently we're not just using sliders, but a pallet selection. Currently, we have 6 to pick from.

As much as your idea is sound in principal and logic, the problem is we just don't have those mid-tones between the pallets. Thus when a blue Sim and a red Sim have a child which should be a shade of purple, we instead get a red or blue child.

Granted the idea for variety in tones using the slider's value does have merit. And I'd back that until we get a full range of colours to pick from.