Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An angry letter to EA, from a Mac user.

I'm not used to writing angry letters. In fact, this is my first one. Hopefully someone will read this.
Here it goes...

Dear EA,
Your lack of support for Mac users is ridiculous. If you release a game on multiple systems, there should be an equal amount of support for all systems. What I've come to realize is you're not taking our issues seriously. You treat Mac users like trash, and that's starting to really get to me. I've requested assistance from you multiple times with literally no response.
You basically have to be a tech genius to get The Sims 3 to work properly on any mac OS, especially Lion. Guess what EA? You're REALLY behind. I've noticed that more mac users play the sims than pc users. Why, you may ask? Because they're trendy, and more people seem to have them.
If I can't get my launcher to properly open because YOU people decided not to port it properly (and it's literally the most unstable port I have EVER experienced), I shouldn't have to figure out workarounds myself.
These games cost a lot of money, and frankly it's beginning to seem that they're really not worth it with the amount of problems that occur.
I'm not the only one with issues. If you simply google 'sims 3 mac issues', page upon page shows up with SO MANY people experiencing issues, and little to no help. It's disgusting that a company treats its customers like this.
Lastly, you're alienating a massive audience by refusing to help us. And a lot of us are nerds. And when nerds get angry, there's always some sort of hell to pay.
All I'm asking is for SOMEONE to make this game stable on newer OS's, even if it isn't anyone related to EA in the least. I'm tired of searching through file after file in an attempt to just get the launcher to open without freezing. And, honestly, I don't want to have to take classes just to fix it myself. That's a waste of time.

If anyone has some advice that hasn't been repeated about a thousand times, please post it below.

Sincerely,
One of your oldest, but most irate customers.

Comments

• Options
    Zachemc2Zachemc2 Posts: 1,817 New Member
    edited June 2012
    They don't care anymore. After EA dumped Aspyr, all the Mac ports went crazy.

I just bought The Sims 2 from eBay. I heard it's better anyway.
  • Options
    xXBruin_SlayerXxxXBruin_SlayerXx Posts: 1,570 New Member
    edited June 2012
    EA doesn't like hipsters :/

Edit: 1000th post!
  • Options
    tashie_baby11tashie_baby11 Posts: 2,284 New Member
    edited June 2012
    :/ PC computers are more popular where I live. I barely see anyone with a mac. Maybe it's because they're expensive, I dunno.

I'm sorry EA aren't helping you at all, though. Even if I don't ever plan on owning a Mac, if they made the Sims for PC and Mac, it should work on both. It's crap that they did such a poor job of it. Do you have Pets installed? From what little I've read about Macs and Sims, Pets seems to be the worst port. If you do have it installed, I would try uninstalling it.
  • Options
    joshirejoshire Posts: 645 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I have never had ANY problems with my iMac? and its a mi 2011 one, it runs so smoothly and its packed with cc, mods and store content? Now I've said this though, I've probably cursed myself. All i do to make it run properly is empty the world cache folder regularly aswell as the dcbackup and all the simcompositor.package sort of files, that keeps it going fast, i keep it up to date with patches and When it starts going pear shaped, like the launcher mucks up or the "Exception raise" error appears, I just empty my sims 3 folder, except for the mods, saves and downloads, along with options.ini and dccache, that usually fixes the problem, or I sort through my downloads and uninstall the object type "<unknown" which usually works too. But it sometimes doesn't work when I've tweaked with the official files too much, then I re-install the game, Hope this helps!
  • Options
    PepperbuttPepperbutt Posts: 3,201 New Member
    edited June 2012

You realize not every mac user is a hipster, right?
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited June 2012

Congrats I'm nearly on 2000th!
  • Options
    mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited June 2012
    Mostly I just want them to fix the screenshot bug. I used to be able to take screenshots on my Mac! I forget which patch did it, but now I can't. And it's not a problem with my computer, because screenshots do work if I open TS3 in my Parallels virtual machine that runs Windows. Clearly it's port-related and it should be fixed.
  • Options
    orrasfairyorrasfairy Posts: 224 Member
    edited June 2012

:lol:
  • Options
    TwilightStar09TwilightStar09 Posts: 150 Member
    edited June 2012
    Like joshire, I have a mid 2011 iMac and no issues. I have glitches, sure, but not anything to do with the launcher.
    That said, I am adding a hear hear! I am most disappointed with the fact that PC users have access to the (apparently) awesome creative tool that is Create A World but, after three long years, Mac users still do not. And no, I don't want to have to shell out $400 for a full version of Windows just to use that tool. I'd like the company who created this tool and this game, to get a move on and fix it - if the game works on both OS's then it stands to reason that CAW should as well.
  • Options
    x_mynameisangelx_mynameisangel Posts: 138 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I feel so bad for MAC users.This is why I'm happy I don't I have a MAC even though I absolutely LOVE Macs! I can't risk going through all your stress just to play a game. I'm sending your letter to the gurus on twitter.
  • Options
    corndog00corndog00 Posts: 271
    edited June 2012
    I myself have been running Windows since God knows how long, but EA made the game for both, Windows and Mac. I agree with you on that EA should help both PC and Mac users exactly the same. Wth a company the size of EA, with the resources of EA; they should be able to make the largest PC game franchise in the world stable on one ofthe largest used operating systems in the world. Yet, they can't. That's just a load of bull.
  • Options
    IvinoraIvinora Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited June 2012

While i found the OP's line of mac people being more trendy ect. verry over the top.

That response Slayer wasn't needed ;) besides not all people who use a mac are hipsters and hell i have even seen hipsters with regular pc's plenty so lol :lol: (lets face it man we are at a stage where hipsters are everywhere ;P lolol).

Anyway to OP i don't play on mac, i do own one for work but that's work only so i don't use it to game on since mac doesn't have too mutch gaming power other then to play flash games on in my eyes... .

Anyway there are some things you could always try like installing a windows on your mac on the side (dualbooting, i'm sure if you search it you'll find some info on it.)

but chances are for the problems you have that these will stay, since really EA just doesn't really care what happens after they get their paychecks, bugs or no bugs.

And that is what scares me most about people who keep asking for seasons, if EA can't handle that simport or the simple thing off cleaning out smaller bugs, I don't wonna know what will happen when we get seasons... .
  • Options
    PepperbuttPepperbutt Posts: 3,201 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Like joshire, I have a mid 2011 iMac and no issues. I have glitches, sure, but not anything to do with the launcher.
    That said, I am adding a hear hear! I am most disappointed with the fact that PC users have access to the (apparently) awesome creative tool that is Create A World but, after three long years, Mac users still do not. And no, I don't want to have to shell out $400 for a full version of Windows just to use that tool. I'd like the company who created this tool and this game, to get a move on and fix it - if the game works on both OS's then it stands to reason that CAW should as well.

Actually, I can understand why CaW isn't out for mac, and honestly? I don't want it to be. Sims on Macs is crappy enough as it is, and CaW is buggy.

The thing is, Sims 3 is (supposedly) out of Beta release. As in, most of the kinks are worked out and it runs pretty smoothly. CaW isn't. It's in beta. It's still in testing, it's still being worked on. It needs to be updated every time a patch comes out, at least. Tbh, I'd rather they work on other features rather than constantly coding CaW to run. And, let's face it, it'd run crappily on a Mac.

I also heard Apple was restricting them from fooling around with some sort of code that would make it work better / period.
  • Options
    IvinoraIvinora Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited June 2012

Same info go's to you about the dualbooting if you would like to use CAW,
    because EA wont release the tool really you don't even need to hope for it.
    I have seen plenty of people making petitions but nobody seems to figure out that because EA still makes this game on PC that for them to make CAW on a mac they'd have to recode alot for the tool to properly work on a mac aswell, and since CAW has been in "beta fase" on PC ever it came out, there's no way they'll ever make it for mac...

anyway sorry if i had to be a dreamcrusher/sound rude

cause that's not what i was going for at all :?
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited June 2012
    corndog00 wrote:
    I myself have been running Windows since God knows how long, but EA made the game for both, Windows and Mac. I agree with you on that EA should help both PC and Mac users exactly the same. Wth a company the size of EA, with the resources of EA; they should be able to make the largest PC game franchise in the world stable on one ofthe largest used operating systems in the world. Yet, they can't. That's just a load of bull.

they do help them both the same though . no matter what your system they tell you to take a number and they might help when it comes up .
  • Options
    BrittanyGoBoomBrittanyGoBoom Posts: 9
    edited June 2012
    I never said mac people were more trendy, I was saying that currently mac computers are a bit more trendy.