Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which are the most important Mac Issues/threads ?

crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
Hey guys,

as you probably all know, I have no clue about macs. EA did give me a sticky thread in the tech forum and I would like to make sure you mac users are NOT left out.

Please let me know if you want any of the threads in this forum linked in my thread. Please keep it to technical issues or bugs that are more common for Mac users.

This is for faster reference. If you guys want to set up any new threads with summaries on the first post, I can link all those. Just let me know in this thread (I'll be sure to check back) or directly in my sticky in the tech forum.
Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
AHQ Tutorial

Comments

• Options
    DaiyuDaiyu Posts: 771 Member
    edited May 2012
    The "Exception Raised" issue has been plaguing mac users for awhile with no definite solution.

Two threads about the problem can be found here:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/379332.page
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/534900.page

Thanks for including us mac users. At the moment I think we all feel pretty much ignored and abandoned when it comes to solving problems we are having.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I've added the two links. We don't get any gurus to answer us either. There's one moderator (Nich) helping out otherwise we're pretty much on our own as well. We are just more people so sometimes someone comes up with a solution.

They look into the Store and Website issues to give us the feeling they care but the actual problems, we never get answers.
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    rainstormedrainstormed Posts: 315 Member
    edited May 2012
    There have been a lot of crashing and "unknown error occurred" threads lately.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited May 2012
    There will inevitably be a new round of graphics issues when people start updating to Mountain Lion later on in the year. Or generally whenever Apple update their drivers.

Crinrict, I have a bunch of Mac help pages on my website but I don't think EA would appreciate links to them in a stickied thread, not least because they copied and pasted one of them onto their own website........ The ones which gain the most hits are:

- How to cleanly uninstall and reinstall
    - Finding patch numbers
    - How to find the serial keys of your game, EPs and SPs using Terminal

Thank you for including us Mac users :)

Edit - one other thing, it may be worth pointing out to those who have 15" and 17" MacBook Pros that they can switch to the dedicated graphics inside their machines. This was a solution when Lion (OS X 10.7) was released last summer. Unfortunately It didn't help 13" MacBook Pro, White MacBook and MacBook Air users though, and they make up the majority of the mobile Mac gaming community.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Is that for graphic issues (your edit) ? I'd rather keep solutions to a minimum or it would get really crowded. I'd like to keep it as kind of a directory so if you have a post or thread on that, I'll gladly link.

I did link your blog. I link mine, so I guess it's fine.

@rainstormed: Do you have one link that summarizes the problem the best ?
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Unknown Error and Crashing. I think these two best describe what the problem is.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited May 2012
    crinrict wrote:
    Is that for graphic issues (your edit) ? I'd rather keep solutions to a minimum or it would get really crowded. I'd like to keep it as kind of a directory so if you have a post or thread on that, I'll gladly link.

I did link your blog. I link mine, so I guess it's fine.

@rainstormed: Do you have one link that summarizes the problem the best ?

Yep, graphics issues. It affected the integrated cards in Macs so those with both integrated and dedicated (15" & 17") could still play if they switched. It was a MASSIVE issue. You've linked to one of the main threads about it so the solution is in there somewhere. And thank you for adding my links :)

And rainstormed is spot on with the unknown error/debug issue and crashing. It seems to be affecting more and more people and there doesn't appear to be a common denominator.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited May 2012
    Crashing, especially crashing to the desktop while saving has been a major issue for me with The Sims 3.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    AlexRoz9 wrote:
    Crashing, especially crashing to the desktop while saving has been a major issue for me with The Sims 3.

The person here is also having the same problem, and he has a long list of thing he's done to try and fix it. So far nothing's worked.
  • Options
    ivinianivinian Posts: 1,957 Member
    edited May 2012
    Crin, you rock. So far the biggest issue on my game on my Mac are these:

* Launcher refuses to let me log in; it always shows Liam. Consequently, I can't upload anything. It works or doesn't work randomly. I'm actually on this forum this morning trying to find a fix because it's finally gotten to the point of aggravation. At least downloading works all right, but I want to also be able to upload.

* Error 12. Your page has some excellent ideas for working around error 12; these are the precautions I take: Save every half hour without fail and definitely before entering CAS; every few hours, quit out, clear cache, and restart. Keep a "rolling backup" (I do 3 deep and always use "save as" to make save1, save2, and save3) so if an error 12 hits, you won't lose tons of gameplay. Keep the game as simplified as possible; I use Twallan mods to turn off memory-making and to keep my townies from breeding, gaining skills, buying deeds, or moving around. I also remove any really complex larger lots I'm not using, and I keep my Sims' houses fairly simple. I've heard that adding lots to worlds may increase memory footprint and cause routing errors for Sims, so I also avoid that and have seen a downswing in my error 12 incidence.

You are an absolute angel for doing all this work for the community. Thank you. You've saved my bacon I don't know how many times with your suggestions and your excellent site.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for the compliment.

Just post any links that describe your issues best. I don't want to link every thread but only the ones that been frequent by you guys to discuss a certain issue. :)
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    Bel008Bel008 Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited May 2012
    Thank you so much for doing this. :D This thread has some discussion on the freezing issues a lot of Mac users are having issues with. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/344179.page
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Added :)

Sorry for not checking back earlier. Been busy :)
    AHQ Tutorial