Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bizarre issues

Right, this might be a very long post cos I need to give a lot of details.

Firstly, since I installed the 1.3 patch I had the 'crashing to desktop' scenario. So I thought this could be solved with an uninstall with a reinstall without the patch.

The crashing to desktop still occurred on the game, even without any custom content, downloads or patches.

So I thought I'd try a System Restore to the end of July, after backing up my program files EA folder and my documents EA folder to a different part of my computer.

My EA folders were all over the place and I couldn't seem to uninstall again. I've managed to get the game up and running but it still seems to crash when I load my main active family, and when moving a family from the bin to an empty lot.

A sign I've noticed that means it will crash tends to be a short few seconds of the game freezing, shortly after the new family has loaded.

EDIT 2:
Problem is fixed! (for now)

The problem was caused by a mixture of caches and a hairstyle disagreeing with my game :)
Thanks to all those who have helped, it has been greatly appreciated.

Also had to link this as it solved the problem:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/79541.page

Comments

• Options
    iamxrayiamxray Posts: 243 New Member
    edited August 2009
    OK, so everything is back to normal with saves etc. but I'm still crashing to the desktop with and without the patches.

I can't even load one family as that crashes to the desktop :cry:

I can't think of what is causing this, especially as I've just updated my graphics driver.
  • Options
    CinnamonbiteCinnamonbite Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I learned in Sims2 to never download the patches. Causes more problems than it solves and 2 was so buggy that I fully stopped playing it after 3 months.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I see. The game still seems to crash with or without the patches so it has been fine with 1.3 for some time, I just can't understand what is causing the crashes cos I've tried everything and I'm on the verge of giving up! :cry:
  • Options
    lucyb135lucyb135 Posts: 185 Member
    edited August 2009
    my game used to randomly shut down and i tried eveything i could think of. what i ended up doing was reinstalling it and downloading every hack/mod i had making sure i read every piece of information about it and that it didn't mess with any others. this stopped most of the crashing for now but it could of been something else i did without noticeing.
  • Options
    ahjahbeanahjahbean Posts: 208 New Member
    edited August 2009
    iamxray wrote:
    OK, so everything is back to normal with saves etc. but I'm still crashing to the desktop with and without the patches.

I can't even load one family as that crashes to the desktop :cry

I can't think of what is causing this, especially as I've just updated my graphics driver.

What operating system do you have? If it's vista do you have the service pack 1 upgrade? The reason I ask is because my game was crashing to the desktop as well. After messing around with it, uninstalling/reinstalling etc., I installed the first patch and whoa was that a horrible mistake. Error code 13 constantly when trying to save; so I uninstalled/reinstalled again and the game was back to randomly crashing to the desktop after a couple of hours of playing. Then one day I noticed that the specs for the game said that vista should have the service pack 1 installed, which I did not have, so I installed it and the next day I installed the latest patch and since then not one crash. Not even when my sim goes downtown to play guitar for tips which was when it used to happen. I can't be sure if it was because of the service pack 1 upgrade or the patch, but I can now play crash free. Although I do have a new issue where the scrolling gets stuck and just keeps spinning around after I come out of CAS but that's after having the game up for several hours. I sure hope you can get to play crash free soon. Good luck
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ahjahbean wrote:
    What operating system do you have? If it's vista do you have the service pack 1 upgrade? I sure hope you can get to play crash free soon. Good luck

Yep, got Vista. The box the laptop came with says it already has Service Pack 1 installed :(

Thanks and thanks for your help anyhow :)
  • Options
    lordjazzlordjazz Posts: 6 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Try setting the high detail lots setting to 4 or less. This solved my crash isues and some members of the community have reported success with it.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    lordjazz wrote:
    Try setting the high detail lots setting to 4 or less. This solved my crash isues and some members of the community have reported success with it.

Thanks for this, but sadly it still crashes even with the high detail lots on 1 :(

Edit: Moved DxDiag report to original post.
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited August 2009
    Hi,

According to your DXDiag report, your video device is an NVidia GeForce 9200M GE and its drivers are dated 6/9/2008. I would advise updating your video drivers to the latest version. Instructions can be found at this link:

https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10711

You will want the Vista 32Bit drivers for your video device. You will also need to uninstall your old graphics drivers before installing the new one.

I would also advise updating your Vista OS to the latest service pack, which can be done via Windows Update in your Start menu taskbar.

As for the random crashing, you might want to check out this link for a possible solution, though of course there are no guarantees:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/61407.page;jsessionid=05F4F47E7DA9BC5306D50931C5EEE9BF.015060
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hello, thanks for your help :)

I've found the latest Nvidia driver which is from May this year, but I can't seem to find a direct link to it, without being asked to do a driver scan and installing programs, which don't even give you the drivers at the end of it!

Just found the latest service pack so that's downloading too.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Here is the official download page from NVidia with the drivers you need, which are dated July 2009:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_190.38_whql.html

Do not forget to check off the box for the NVIDIA Software License Agreement before downloading. Save the file to your desktop, uninstall the old video drivers then reboot when prompted. After reboot, cancel the Windows new-hardware-detected prompt and run the setup file you downloaded. Reboot when prompted and you should be set.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thank you very much :)

Tried uninstalling the download manager and that didn't solve the problem either :(

Edit: The driver setup terminated because it couldn't recognise any drivers for my hardware :(
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Right, just had a go at deleting cache files whilst temporarily removing downloads.

This has worked because the family that never loaded has loaded fine with no signs of crashes. Another family has also been playing fine with no signs of crashing.

Will try with custom content now to see what really is causing the problem (must be conflicting mods, as I have mods for the game).

EDIT: Problem *nearly* solved. It's a download causing a problem with cache scripts. Phew.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If you are still having problems with installing new video drivers, you might try going to the Hewlett-Packard website. For reference, your exact laptop model is an HP G70 and your video device is an NVidia GeForce 9200M GE.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ahh yes, was on that site yesterday. Was helpful with providing drivers but I'm sure the latest Nvidia driver was from last year :?

On that note, I'm crash free - problem solved :D