Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update Error: Invalid file found

I am trying to updating 1.2.07 to 1.3.24 but then I get an error that says "Update Error: Invalid file found”. please help.

Comments

• Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,178 Member
    edited July 2009
    Do you have the no mosaic/nude hack ingame . If so replace the shaders file that the hack replaced with the original copy from your game disc .

If not maybe you replaced some other file with one from a hack or mod and that will need replacing with the original
  • Options
    ShaylenShaylen Posts: 4 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I'm getting this same problem. Also had the issue when I went from Installed version to 127. I removed the Shader file and replaced it with the one on the disk back when I first had issues and never "hacked" it again.

All of my files are default at this point. I have even moved my Mod folder since I know that causes some issue.

I am not reinstalling the game. If that is the answer every time we patch then they just lost a loyal customer. I am not going to start my family over from scratch every time they 'fix' the game.

• Options
    SimderellaSimderella Posts: 10 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I actually have a similar problem. When I try to install the update, it tells me file not found. I don't have any mods or hacks (frankly I am not good enough for all of that). Really don't even know what mods are :?: I have the Sims3Workshop downloaded. I don't know if that would cause any problems. If anyone has a solution, please let me know. Thanks a bunch.
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited July 2009
    Remove all mods and/or hacks then patch.

Generally this can be done by simply CUTting and pasting the Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ Mods folder to your desktop.

If you have package files in the root directory (..../The Sims 3) you need to cut and paste those as well. (No Mosaic is one such package.)
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited July 2009
    Hi, all.

If you have installed the patch and your game is crashing, or the patcher is failing, I'd suggest a backup of your files and a manual uninstall and reinstall, just to remove the possibility of corrupted files.

Instructions on backing up your files here:

https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=22290

For manual uninstallation instructions, check this FAQ:
    [url] https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=22226[/url]

You can also try restoring the /Library folder by copying it from the Sims 3 DVD and replacing the one present in the Sims 3 folder at My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3.

When reinstalling, do not immediately restore your backups. Install the game, patch, then restore your backup files. We are continuing to look into this issue for everyone, and your patience is appreciated.

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    SonshineSonshine Posts: 53 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Hi, I'm also havng problems w/the invalid file msg. I've tried *everything* meaning that I've removed everything that I can possibly remove and I still get the invalid file msg! I've removed all downloads, all mods, all cache files and even the xcpt Home-C3B6C8EF24 file and I *still* can't install the patch! The only things I have in my game now is downloaded lots. Maybe I should delete/uninstall those?
  • Options
    XTS2009XTS2009 Posts: 357 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Have you tried the optimizer?

(Link removed by xts)
    Good luck

Xts2009

EDIT: Please ignore this post as I do not support this product & realised what it was after I tried installling it (forgetting I've tried it). I saw so many suggesting it I thought I'd pass on the word but I do not recommend th is program actually.. sorry!!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    BatonbackBatonback Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2009
    Ok, so I don't have any mods installed and when I try to uninstall it tells me this... An error (-5005 : 0x8000ffff) has occurred while running the setup.
    Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Electronic Arts (http://www.thesims3.com).
    So what should I do now?
  • Options
    XTS2009XTS2009 Posts: 357 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I found an article on this: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?action=printpage;topic=16106.0 Well, it's actually folks needing help too but have found a way around it..

Good reading, maybe it'll guide ya in the right direction. They say the uninstaller is broken.. The same error code comes up.

They got theirs working (uninstalled).

I know the registry can interfere (may have references to sims 3 in it) & if you've ran any sims 3 programs (launcher, game, etc) it may still be running in the background. Sometimes rebooting can fix the issue of something still running. (if it's not a broken uninstaller issue).
  • Options
    Morten8035Morten8035 Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2009
    I have the same problem :(
  • Options
    ArtemiconArtemicon Posts: 6 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Oh COME ON! I had to delete the whole download and wait all day for it EADM to re-download the game because of some corrupt cache and package files, tried again same bloody thing. So I just "ignored" my way though it until it installed. Now that I tried to patch it this "Invalid File found" stuff pops up

Why do you punish me for buying your game EA? I so want to play but have literally spent most of the day screaming at my screen in frustration...

Well, now that I got that off my chest, anyone know what I should do to get it patched? And does it have something to do with those corrupted files during the install?
    Please help me, I so want to play this game, but all this technical jargon is killing me...

Edit: And i do not have any mods or cracks installed, i just downloaded the sims 3, found all those corrupt files, managed to install it anyway, and now im getting this file not found msg.
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited August 2009
    Hi,

The "Update Error: Invalid File Found" or "Update Error: File Not Found" message means that the installer is attempting to update a "core game" file (EA original file) that was somehow modified or deleted previously - either by a mod, certain custom content, or by the user. An example of core files include INI files (camera and lighting etc.), default custom music files, .package files, .exe files (nocd) and so on. Even a change to a core file's timestamp is enough to cause the installer to fail. If you have the original game disc and you know which file(s) might have been altered or deleted, you can copy the original data file(s) over to the game's installation directory. (You can also look inside the rtpatch.log file which can tell you exactly what file failed to update at the time). When the core file(s) have been restored the update should then work.

On the modthesims website there is a tool, a patch log viewer that can find out what file (if any) was modified. A direct link to the modthesims article can be found in this thread:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/83360.page;jsessionid=816897E75F9A40157402A218EBFFB665.015051#854033

A short description about the tool reads as follows:
    To see exactly which file is invalid, you may try using the following program:

Sims_3_Patch_Log_Viewer (.NET 2.0)
    Sims_3_Patch_Log_Viewer (.NET 3.5)

Program written by Delphy with testing by QBUILDERZ. This program should find your patch log and tell you at the bottom if you have any errors (they will be in red). Any files in red you need to restore from your backups or from the original CD.

If updating still does not work, your only other alternative is to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the game:
    From DarkAmaranth1966:

- Copy My Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Saves to a safe location.
    - Uninstall the game via add/remove programs or the provided unistaller.
    - Delete all Sims 3 folders it leaves behind. (Look in Prgram files and My Documents)
    - Run regedit and delete all sims 3 keys.
    - Reboot.
    - Install the game and patch it.
    - Load the game to Sunset Valley.
    - Quit.
    - Redownload all CC, store items etc and install those.
    - Load Sunset Valley again.
    - Quit.

Now put the saves folder you rescued back where it came from and - hopefully- enjoy your game.

Look in every area under regedit - I know it is time consuming but, one missed key can cause problems and, automated registry cleaners do not always get everything out.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    ArtemiconArtemicon Posts: 6 New Member
    edited August 2009
    From DarkAmaranth1966:

- Copy My Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Saves to a safe location.
    - Uninstall the game via add/remove programs or the provided unistaller.
    - Delete all Sims 3 folders it leaves behind. (Look in Program files and My Documents)
    - Run regedit and delete all sims 3 keys.
    - Reboot.
    - Install the game and patch it.
    - Load the game to Sunset Valley.
    - Quit.
    - Re download all CC, store items etc and install those.
    - Load Sunset Valley again.
    - Quit.

Now put the saves folder you rescued back where it came from and - hopefully- enjoy your game.

Look in every area under regedit - I know it is time consuming but, one missed key can cause problems and, automated registry cleaners do not always get everything out.

OK I'm hearing everyone say this, if i have to uninstall the game again so be it, I assume i can get around the cache install problems by ignoring them and copy/pasting them into my game file from the EADM cache file.

However could you be more specific when you say to delete the 3 sims cd keys? Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere?
    Finally what do you mean by "Re download all CC"
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited August 2009
    If you are still having issues with updates and your core game files are all in order, you can try applying an incremental standalone patch. That is to say, an updater to patch your game from version 1.2 to 1.3. Once you have done that, get another standalone incremental updater to patch your game from version 1.3 to 1.4. Do not use the 1.4 cumulative update unless you are installing a fresh version 1.0 game.

Please ensure you are downloading the correct version for your game region. To find out what region your game is using, run the launcher and take note of the version number displayed on the bottom left. The last 5 digits represents the game region. When choosing a patch to download, look for the correpsonding region number in the file name.

This link provides information for a complete manual install, including the deletion of the necessary registry keys:

https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=22226

If you must uninstall, try the game's provided uninstaller program first or use the Add Or Remove Programs tool from the control panel.

(And for reference, CC is short for Custom Content.)
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!