Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

inventory empty of fruits and veggies after switching households

Good day to all,
First, I apologize if this topic has already been covered-tried to search and came up with no match (what a surprise).
I am a control freak player, and the notion of other households continuing without my all seeing eye has always been both exciting and scary. I've so far played just one family per neighborhood to get the hang of the game. Yesterday I decided to go for it, made a fun new family, and installed them in the neighborhood in which i had a very established family group (family A). Family A gardens and cooks, and had lots of produce in the personal inventories, and lots of leftovers in the fridge.
I was scared, yet brave, and switched to family B. I played them only 2 days, to avoid any big changes with family A. Imagine my surprise when i switched back to family A and found all fruits and veggies gone from their inventories-no big bump in household value, so they didn't sell them) and all leftovers gone from the fridge! When you switch, the pop-up warns about wishes and promises, but not about fruit!
Is this standard? Has this happened to you? I moved family B to their own neighborhood for now-is there anything i can do to avoid this in the future? I guess i haven't yrt conquered my basic control freak nature-sigh.

Comments

• Options
    DarkFireFlyDarkFireFly Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited July 2009
    Bump.
  • Options
    uo_2272uo_2272 Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2009
    I think the family sold your inventory while you were away.
  • Options
    JixiJixi Posts: 733 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Good day to all,
    First, I apologize if this topic has already been covered-tried to search and came up with no match (what a surprise).
    I am a control freak player, and the notion of other households continuing without my all seeing eye has always been both exciting and scary. I've so far played just one family per neighborhood to get the hang of the game. Yesterday I decided to go for it, made a fun new family, and installed them in the neighborhood in which i had a very established family group (family A). Family A gardens and cooks, and had lots of produce in the personal inventories, and lots of leftovers in the fridge.
    I was scared, yet brave, and switched to family B. I played them only 2 days, to avoid any big changes with family A. Imagine my surprise when i switched back to family A and found all fruits and veggies gone from their inventories-no big bump in household value, so they didn't sell them) and all leftovers gone from the fridge! When you switch, the pop-up warns about wishes and promises, but not about fruit!
    Is this standard? Has this happened to you? I moved family B to their own neighborhood for now-is there anything i can do to avoid this in the future? I guess i haven't yrt conquered my basic control freak nature-sigh.

This is common, when you switch household inventory items and wishes disappear.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well darn,both my hoarding freak and my control freak are offended.
  • Options
    simmahsimmah Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2009
    Awesome mod will fix that. You can choose what features you want to enable for the hack. One of the features allows you to keep your inventory when you switch families. Love it!
  • Options
    DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited July 2009
    simmah wrote:
    Awesome mod will fix that. You can choose what features you want to enable for the hack. One of the features allows you to keep your inventory when you switch families. Love it!

Ditto! Awesomemod is the answer to your problems. I can no longer stand to play without it. :thumbup:
  • Options
    iowagalagainiowagalagain Posts: 186 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I've had that happen to me and wondered the same as you, huge personal inventory of food gone, fridge back to original inventory of sausage, eggs, cheese and lettuce, I think. I don't play with any cheats or mods, probably wouldn't know how to install them if I did. The only thing that is different is I have the update installed now and am on a new computer so have reinstalled the game and started over. Next 3 or 4 times I changed active households, inventory was intact when I returned. I have no idea why. I just figured I must have switched households wrong when it happened the first time, since I was just figuring out how to do that. Maybe it just happens intermittently.

Have you lost gems and metals too? I can't remember if I had a pocketful of gems at the time or not. Now that would be a loss!
  • Options
    ssimssim Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2009
    This just happened to me, and I am so upset that I'm posting for the first time. After playing two other characters for 1-2 days, I switched back to my main one. Her entire inventory of fish - gone. Her hardwork to grow and harvest several lifetimes of plants to get all the perfect produce - gone. Two death flowers - gone. All the gems, rocks, butterflies, beetles that she collected - gone. All the recipes and fishing guides purchased - gone. All that was left were two romance novels that she didn't even have before.

The cruelest discovery was that I had worked so hard to gain lifetime points to purchase the "super collector" reward and that disappeared along with everything else. What a waste! 40000 points down the drain. I would think that my sim would at least keep her lifetime happiness rewards. So sad. :(
  • Options
    MykalaplyMykalaply Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2009
    that happen to me so to play around that i leave all my fruits and collectible on my floor in a room that i call collection room i switch household :!: :!: :!: crazy but what can I do :!: :cry:
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wow, so I'm not the only one. I'm taking some encouragement from the post about the patch helping-maybe I'll be brave and try again.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Really sucks about the "super collector" reward disappearing though.
  • Options
    sweetnsinful147sweetnsinful147 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited July 2009
    There is a personal inventory and a family inventory that can be found in the Buy Mode Section...the family inventory will be able to hold inventory between moves.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just had it happen to me again. A whole lot of death flowers and life fruits and about 2 dozen special seeds all gone, and the game gave me the 2 books to cash in again. Not a fair exchange because I only get $1110 for the books, and she doesn't really need the money (although I don't really know what she needed all the fruits and flowers for either). I didn't save before I left that house, just to be safe, and I'm glad I didn't. Since I plan on going back to my previous save, I'm playing around to see how to proceed, so I harvested the garden again and can put life fruit in the fridge, but not the special seeds or the flowers. Can't put them in family inventory, either.
    Do the seeds and flowers keep indefinitely on the floor in a room, do you know? If I go to other houses for a couple weeks, they'll surely rot, won't they? I hate to switch back and forth so often and forfeit thousands of lifetime happiness points that are about to happen. Might want to wait until the wants are negligible and switch households then, but that might be enough time for produce and seeds to rot on the floor.
    I went to Jon Lessen's house and played him for this test, when I left my sim's house, just to check him out (he's a sweetheart, so nice) and his fruit and guitars are still in his inventory on returning to him just now. I had played him for about 1 sim week after I left my previous household, which I had played for almost the entire duration of young-adulthood. Just more speculation, no answers.
    I would think this is one of those problems that bears looking into for a future patch.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I completely agree! This seems to eliminate the incentive to play several houses in a neighborhood. I had thought that that was one of the points of a seamless 'hood-but this loss of inventory makes it, in my opinion, too costly.

Edited for spelling.
  • Options
    LaraceliaLaracelia Posts: 223 Member
    edited July 2009
    I've experienced everything you all have as well but on top of that my sims lost their certificates to the properties they invested into!!

My doctor sim lost his beeper!!

That to me, makes no sense in a game design that is supposed to be seamless. Now when I switch households, I plant all rare seeds/plants (thankfully gardens don't disappear as well) and sell everything in inventory, including property certificates but ...a doctors on-call beeper? I don't get that.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Rats! Just got my sim's boyfriend to ask her to move in so she could be living there before the wedding, since she's excellent at stuff like that and he's not such a great host. Had all the things important to keep in family inventory except for the things that I couldn't put in there, such as special seeds, certificates from being business partner, etc. Personal inventory was completely gone and family inventory was completely empty too. Lost all my mysterious gnomes, tons of life fruits and outstanding veggies that were in the fridge that I put into storage, vehicle, everything. The game replaced it all with the same 2 books again, and I wonder what's the use of that since it's so obviously not anywhere close to the value of the previous inventory. Book does not equal sportscar. I mean, what the heck's the deal with the books!??? The lifetime rewards survived the trip, though. Just wanted to warn ya. Marry young. Enjoy your stuff while you can. You can't take it with you. I'm gonna miss those gnomes the most, annoying little creatures that they were.
  • Options
    SimsomeSimsome Posts: 91 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Hello all!

Just bought this game and appear to be having the same problems as many of you...

sweetnsinful147:

Have you tried moving or changing active households with all your collections/produce, etc. in your family inventory? Do the inventory items move with you if you move? Do the items stay in family inventory if you change active household and then return to original family? If this has worked for you, which option did you use when you moved/changed active household?

lol.... so many questions! :)

I've been adding items (that I want to keep) into the 'family inventory'. Like many of you, the first time a member of my family moved, she lost all items in her personal inventory so I'm using the family inventory. The only problem is, that if the family inventory does actually keep everything with the house, how does 1 sim take his/her individual certificates/items, without taking everything?

I've tried the Awesomemod, but game doesn't load with it installed so removed it (I may have installed it incorrectly).

The other glitch/bug I'm having... One of my Sims has 38 ? in her inventory... a blank pic showing she has 38 of something. I can't use the item at all (click/drag... nothing). Think it's probably produce but not useable now.

I really hope EA addresses these issues. The personal inventory needs to stay in Sim's backpacks when they move/change active household. We need to be able to move 1 sim along with their collections, certificates, etc. An entire family doesn't always move together! :)

Thanks for any suggestions!
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited July 2009
    The Indie Stone Mod from MTS2 also has an option to retain your Sims' inventory when you switch houses. Personally, I wouldn't play Sims3 without it.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    power10power10 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    The Indie Stone Mod from MTS2 also has an option to retain your Sims' inventory when you switch houses. Personally, I wouldn't play Sims3 without it.

In your experience, does Indie Stone retain inventory over a long period of time spent with another active household? The IS page warns that "inventories may still not last indefinitely but should be ok for a few days away." Has anyone had problems with inventory having disappeared upon switching back to a household? (I'm considering giving IS a shot, because I'm mostly interested in having the ability to maintain multiple households in a neighborhood, Sims2-style, rather than more extensive gameplay options.) Thanks!
  • Options
    SamerinaSamerina Posts: 44 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I heard about this "switching households" thing, but I never saw how to do it. Maybe I should go to the game's "lessons" to figure it out? After reading this thread, maybe I don't want to let my favorite sim family run wild. I am their goddess after all...
  • Options
    SimnisterEthicsSimnisterEthics Posts: 13 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I've lost.... EVERYTHING...... My collection helper (40,000 points>#@$^), GONE. My Partered/Boughten Properties, GONE. Most of my inventory, including deeds, seeds, the vegitables and fruits I spent hours of REAL TIME growing, GONE. I am SO SICK of the nonsense. So, SO sick of it. I can't use 90% of the sliders to change of the body modifiers... weight, lip shape, NOTHING. They either do absolutely nothing or tear apart my sims' bodies in horrific ways.. floating heads, de-spined bodies... broken ankles.... only 2 or so cheats work. YAYYY WE CAN WALK AROUND TOWN, THOUGH! WHO CAARRREEESSS ABOUT KEEPING EVERYTHING WE WORKED FOR,- WE CAN GO TO THE MOVIES!!!!! (we can't actually ENJOY the activities, but hey, we can just PRETEND in our own minds what the sims are seeing/doing/etc while sitting at our desks staring at the building! YAYYY!!!) Hey, this sims even has genetic mutations! my little girls grew up into two identical midgets/small people with giant heads and stumpy bodies and one tall gangly scary-looking skeletor creature with giant bug-eyes!! IT IS SO AWESOME TO BE FREAKED OUT BY YOUR OWN SIMS TO THE POINT OF ERASING YOUR FAMILY! OH, and I almost forgot, when my young adult became an adult, she looks like shes 50-70 years old! AWESOME! Nothing like having your cheeks touch your chin at 27! .. and just think, those are only a few of the wonders I've (dealt with) experianced!!!

Seriously, I expect no less than basic functionality for the $170+ of REAL, AMERICAN MONEY in simcards, guide, and the special edition game disk I have spent so far. It would be nice if, FOR ONCE, you would actually test your game before shipping. I feel like waiting on the next patch is like Russian roulette... who knows what, or IF you will address/FIX the problems we're having...
  • Options
    StrGtr101StrGtr101 Posts: 182 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Yup same thing's happened to me and i am not happy!!!!!! I had a tonne of stuff and now just have laptop guitar and a book ... i dont even have my homework!!! this needs to be fixed cos atm i'm never gonna change family's again .... so angry!!!!!
  • Options
    two2cairnstwo2cairns Posts: 294 Member
    edited August 2009
    Laracelia wrote:
    I've experienced everything you all have as well but on top of that my sims lost their certificates to the properties they invested into!!

My doctor sim lost his beeper!!

That to me, makes no sense in a game design that is supposed to be seamless. Now when I switch households, I plant all rare seeds/plants (thankfully gardens don't disappear as well) and sell everything in inventory, including property certificates but ...a doctors on-call beeper? I don't get that.

This drives me crazy too. I can deal with selling veggies/fruit/fish before I switch houses. Lifetime point reward items like the collection helper and moodlet manager can be moved from the inventory and placed on a table before a switch.

But my sims can't invest in properties because there is no option to hang the certificate on the wall. They always lose it when I switch houses. I think since the latest patch there is an option to sell or transfer -- why can't they just keep the thing and hang it on the wall, like the deeds in Sims2 Open for Business?