Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom Paintings

I know in the sims 2 you could import your own pictures to have your sims paint them and such. How do you do that in the sims 3? i know you can make custom music and import it into the game which is cool. I'm getting tired of the same old painting in the game and want my own pictures like my music. can someone please answer me?

Comments

• Options
    Theat933Theat933 Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2009
    As far as I know I don't think you can put in any of your own custom pictures to let your sims paint...
  • Options
    melinornmelinorn Posts: 115 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Theat933 wrote:
    As far as I know I don't think you can put in any of your own custom pictures to let your sims paint...

thanks for at least replying. maybe they might do that with and EP later on... i can only hope.
  • Options
    FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited June 2009
    I second that. I really miss not being able to paint my own pictures.

And PLEASE fix the awful "Portrait" option cause they all come out in an ugly orange filter.
  • Options
    KarazaraKarazara Posts: 764 New Member
    edited June 2009
    melinorn wrote:
    I know in the sims 2 you could import your own pictures to have your sims paint them and such. How do you do that in the sims 3? i know you can make custom music and import it into the game which is cool. I'm getting tired of the same old painting in the game and want my own pictures like my music. can someone please answer me?

You can't import pictures to have the sims paint them, no. However, you can do customized paintings based on in-game screenshots:

At painting skill 6, you have the option to paint still-lifes. If you do this, you will get a frame to take a screenshot of anything your sim can see from the easel. If you paint a straight still life, you'll get a fairly realiistic painting of what your sims sees in the screenshot (that isn't animate; sims won't show up in the shot). You also get the option to do stylised still lifes; you can do somber, which is fairly realistic but with muted colors; genius, which is a mosaic style; and insane, which is highly abstract. There may be other styles too; I think they're affected by your personality traits.

At painting skill 7, you can do portraits. You can paint a portrait of any sim on the same lot as the easel (except for babies; you can however do portraits of ghosts). Selecting this the sim will walk up to you so you can get a screenshot of them. They only have to be on the lot when you start the painting; once you've started it doesn't matter if they leave. Note that portraits also capture what's in the background, and as the sim comes to you when you start the painting, if you have a specific background in mind put the easel facing away from it. Amazingly all sims will comply with te request to have their portrait painted, no matter what they're already doing or what your relationship is! You can paint protraits of enemies or total strangers if you like... only time they won't come to pose for you is if they're sleeping.

At painting skill 8, you can paint from memory. Anywhere at all, you can use your cell phone to "memorize the scene," take a screenshot, and when you get back to an easel you can paint what you captured in the shot. This painting will capture everything in the shot, including sims, thought bubbles, etc. If you want to do a "portrait" of a baby this is the only way to do it. Another major advantage of this is you don't have to be anywhere near an easel when you take the screenshot; you can take the shot and go back to an easel later.

One option also available to everyone, not just painters, is to use your phone to take a picture of anything your sim can see. These pictures can be hung on the wall and framed.
  • Options
    Gridiron325Gridiron325 Posts: 28 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I yea TS2 had that option after a few expansions came out. We probably have to wait for one here as well. I remember it having animals.
  • Options
    melinornmelinorn Posts: 115 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Karazara wrote:
    melinorn wrote:

You can't import pictures to have the sims paint them, no. However, you can do customized paintings based on in-game screenshots:

At painting skill 6, you have the option to paint still-lifes. If you do this, you will get a frame to take a screenshot of anything your sim can see from the easel. If you paint a straight still life, you'll get a fairly realiistic painting of what your sims sees in the screenshot (that isn't animate; sims won't show up in the shot). You also get the option to do stylised still lifes; you can do somber, which is fairly realistic but with muted colors; genius, which is a mosaic style; and insane, which is highly abstract. There may be other styles too; I think they're affected by your personality traits.

At painting skill 7, you can do portraits. You can paint a portrait of any sim on the same lot as the easel (except for babies; you can however do portraits of ghosts). Selecting this the sim will walk up to you so you can get a screenshot of them. They only have to be on the lot when you start the painting; once you've started it doesn't matter if they leave. Note that portraits also capture what's in the background, and as the sim comes to you when you start the painting, if you have a specific background in mind put the easel facing away from it. Amazingly all sims will comply with te request to have their portrait painted, no matter what they're already doing or what your relationship is! You can paint protraits of enemies or total strangers if you like... only time they won't come to pose for you is if they're sleeping.

At painting skill 8, you can paint from memory. Anywhere at all, you can use your cell phone to "memorize the scene," take a screenshot, and when you get back to an easel you can paint what you captured in the shot. This painting will capture everything in the shot, including sims, thought bubbles, etc. If you want to do a "portrait" of a baby this is the only way to do it. Another major advantage of this is you don't have to be anywhere near an easel when you take the screenshot; you can take the shot and go back to an easel later.

One option also available to everyone, not just painters, is to use your phone to take a picture of anything your sim can see. These pictures can be hung on the wall and framed.

well thank you for telling us what was ALREADY in the prima guide. I guess i'll sell whatever painting I do in the game. since they are really crappy pictures and who the heck wants to see those? LOL
  • Options
    Lttlblckdg50Lttlblckdg50 Posts: 16 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I do not have a PRIMA guide so your information was very helpful to me..thank you Karazara
  • Options
    MeezletoeMeezletoe Posts: 462 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Ah, thanks Karazara :D
  • Options
    KarazaraKarazara Posts: 764 New Member
    edited June 2009
    melinorn wrote:
    well thank you for telling us what was ALREADY in the prima guide. I guess i'll sell whatever painting I do in the game. since they are really crappy pictures and who the heck wants to see those? LOL

News to me; I have the Prima guide (a complete waste of $20 imo, but that's another topic) and almost none of this was in here. I had to figure it out myself, and thought I'd save others the trouble. Or even if any of this is in the Prima guide (if it is, I never found it) I'm saving people $20. It really is a terrible guide, with many errors and omissions, and what is in there is pretty easy to figure out yourself or get info here on the board, so again, a guide not worth the paper it's printed on.
  • Options
    AkaaraAkaara Posts: 35 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I think the new easle for sale in the store has new paintings.
  • Options
    glen416glen416 Posts: 380 New Member
    edited March 2012
    The only way that i know of is to look on youtube there use to be a tutorial on how to make custom content paintings for the sims 3. as long as your not uploading them with you lot creations i think you might enjoy them in your own sims game. I refuse to download or play any lot or world that has custom content do to too many crashes that have happen in the pass. :?:
  • Options
    Rebel_ManRebel_Man Posts: 3 New Member
    edited October 2012
    Perhaps a quick work around would be to upload your custom image via create a pattern, take a snap shot of what you want your sim to paint by placing the pattern in world on flat surface and let them have at it?
  • Options
    lydiad206lydiad206 Posts: 3,747 Member
    edited October 2012
    Karazara wrote:
    melinorn wrote:

Thank you! This is news to me. :)
    er0s4g.jpg
  • Options
    Mollymoo1231Mollymoo1231 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited January 2013
    When you reach level 5 in painting you can take a picture like on the phone you have 3 options of size what i want to know is how do they pose for it ?
  • Options
    Dralion_SolDralion_Sol Posts: 198 New Member
    edited January 2013
    I was wondering about that also, and I found this link in a post.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/637175.page
  • Options
    kerrylane529kerrylane529 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited February 2013
    I found this!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyv61nmphZs There is a way! Now if I can just figure it out! LOL Let me know if u get it!
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited February 2013
    melinorn wrote:

... I guess i'll sell whatever painting I do in the game. since they are really crappy pictures and who the heck wants to see those? LOL

That's why more of my Sims are photographers than painters. I can get decent imagery to hang on the walls. I also like stylists. I like hanging their fashion designs on the walls. I'm hoping the ability to import art comes with University. It hasn't been mentioned, so my hopes are very low.

[Edit] Thanks for that YouTube link. ^^^
    I am going to try it out because I need to make this sign for my coffee shop.
    snapshot_562d633e_562db0de.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    LisasimmiesLisasimmies Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2013
    You know, at first it really bothered me that I could not easily
    put custom paintings in my game (like in TS2), but I realized that it is actually a lot of fun creating little vignettes for them to paint using the things already in game instead. I find it more challenging that way :wink:
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited February 2013
    Yes, the portraits always look awful, as do the still-life and 'paint from memory' paintings.

What you can do is install the picture you want as a custom pattern, then have your sim take a photo of it (they can paint it too, but the quality isn't half so good). Here are some of mine:

Screenshot-8-4.jpg

ShotgunBedroom.jpg

Screenshot-17-2.jpg

Teen.jpg

These are not CC and do not require people who download your houses to install anything. Obviously you have to install the pattern in your own game, but you can remove it once your sim has taken their photo of it, and the photos will still show up as they did before.

If you don't want to use the CAP program, I have a whole bunch of patterns of famous paintings in my studio. I also take requests from friends for anything either that was produced pre-1923 (boring copyright stuff) or that they own. It usually takes me a while to get to these though.

I hope this helps.

You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    jessibeejessibee Posts: 20 New Member
    edited May 2013
    There is a mod here, which replaces a lot of the paintings - plus instructions on how to mod the mod: http://thegrownupsarelying.blogspot.com/2010/10/sims-3-artistry-redux-replacements-for.html
  • Options
    crissylinecrissyline Posts: 123 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't know how you would put your own pictures in to paint them, but I do know that there is an amazing painting mod you can get that replaces the defaults with some really amazing stuff if you're tired of the sims plain old default paintings.
  • Options
    flicka210flicka210 Posts: 3
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    flicka210flicka210 Posts: 3
    edited January 2014
    flicka210 wrote:

Nevermind